PDA

View Full Version : Value of CMP Collector Grade today?

DeWayne Hayes
09-09-2021, 01:26
Hi guys,

I'm in the market looking for a CMP Collector Grade M1.

What, in your opinion, is an upper-end price for a really nice looking Collector Grade these days? When I say "nice looking" I mean good-looking wood set, minimal dings and gouges. Not "Unissued Greek Return" nice, but pretty close to that. Something like a 5.8 mil Springfield, nice wood.

Just trying to get a feel for what the market is these days as I've been out of the gun-buying world for several years, but my gun collection was stolen a few years ago, and I'm looking to replace a few icons, like the Garand.

Thanks,
DeWayne

dryheat
09-09-2021, 02:31
Expect to pay at least $1000.

lyman
09-09-2021, 03:46
Expect to pay at least $1000.

really? :icon_lol:

depends on the maker, likely 2x's that

High Plaines Doug r
09-09-2021, 07:34
Look at Gunbroker. There's not a complete Garand in there for less than $900; nothing you'd want to own as a beater for less than $1200, shooters start about $1500. Collectables look like they start well over $2k. It's not a hobby for the faint of heart.

DeWayne Hayes
09-10-2021, 12:08
Yeah, I'm thinking more like $3k for a really nice one, no?

lyman
09-10-2021, 04:26

depends on the maker, and year and correct as in all the bits and bobs look like it was there when made,
that will be a bit higher than a restoration collector grade,

dryheat
09-10-2021, 07:01

You don't want to be known as the guy who paid three grand for a "collectable". I can't think of a Garand rifle anywhere I've seen that could command $3K. You aren't worthy. You aren't even allowed to park next to the building where it's at.
I've seen GB Garand's approach 3K. Can't recall which one that was. But, buying a "collectable" is a path that you don't want to follow right now. Of course if you have money to throw around it just helps the community. I'll stick with my OP: you can't get a good Garand off of GB for less than 1K. You can pay 1.5K and get a field grade. My advice: stay up late and watch GB for forty hrs. and get a feel for it.

lyman
09-10-2021, 08:23
You don't want to be known as the guy who paid three grand for a "collectable". I can't think of a Garand rifle anywhere I've seen that could command $3K. You aren't worthy. You aren't even allowed to park next to the building where it's at.
I've seen GB Garand's approach 3K. Can't recall which one that was. But, buying a "collectable" is a path that you don't want to follow right now. Of course if you have money to throw around it just helps the community. I'll stick with my OP: you can't get a good Garand off of GB for less than 1K. You can pay 1.5K and get a field grade. My advice: stay up late and watch GB for forty hrs. and get a feel for it.

for $3K you will find some of the more rare varieties,

for over $3K you will find D's C's and a pile of NM

DeWayne Hayes
09-10-2021, 11:21
To be fair, I count three Collector Grade rifles on GB at the moment, two of which have starting/minimum bids set at $2,500 and one is sale only at $3,999.

A few Correct Grades all over $2,500.

I don't think my $3k notion is out of whack. May be more than you feel they're worth, but I don't see them for sale at $1,500 or even $2k.

dryheat
09-10-2021, 05:02
I see loads of Garands on Gun Broker that are asking over $1500 but are they selling? But no, I still don't think you will pick up any Garand on GB for less than $995. (Mostly)people know the market. The sellers of $2500 rifles are counting on the "Greater Fool theory". But there's too many of them out there for that to work very well. They paid $650 -750 for that CMP Garand, they will make a profit eventually.
NM, maybe. D and C's @ $3K just sit there.

lyman
09-10-2021, 07:03
get an account on gunborker is you do not already have one,

the search using the advanced search , completed auctions,

you can then see what they sold for,( it will have bids ) not what someone was asking or fishing for

DeWayne Hayes
09-11-2021, 01:08
That's brilliant advice, thanks!

From a search of closed "Collector Grade" auctions, looks like a couple sold for around $1,500-$1,800, while a few others sold in the neighborhood of $2,500-$2,800.

So, looks like $1,500-$2,500 is a realistic range.

Thanks,
DeWayne

Major Tom
09-11-2021, 04:49
Many years ago, I sold my correct WW2 Winchester for $1500. It was all Winchester, WW2 numbers and only the wood was replaced. BTW, it was a Danish return.

lyman
09-11-2021, 07:32
Many years ago, I sold my correct WW2 Winchester for $1500. It was all Winchester, WW2 numbers and only the wood was replaced. BTW, it was a Danish return.

5 yrs or so ago, I sold 4 M1's for a friend,

all were restorations to as they would have left the factory in each year,
all were done well, he searched long and hard for the correct stuff with matching finishes,
not a single piece was refinished

the Winchester brought $2500, the Springfield's (1945/1944/1943) brought $2000 each,

DeWayne Hayes
09-11-2021, 07:59
Back around 2008 or 2009 (can't recall) I bought an exceptional, pristine Type II National Match from Joe Salter and I want to say I paid around $4k. I can't recall exactly, but I remember it was so nice I didn't really want to shoot it - in fact, I never did - and wished I had spent less money on a less collectable, more shootable gun. Wound up selling it a couple years later.

All these years later, I think a nice Collector Grade is probably more what I'm looking for. Or even a really nice Correct Grade.

Art
09-11-2021, 03:20
Honestly, where I live, good "shooter grade" M1s with a few dings are all around $1,000.00. If I just wanted a pretty gun to shoot I'd buy a CMP Special Grade, looks great, shoots good, and costs a bit over $1,000.00 Our son has one and is very happy with it.

Collectability is another thing entirely. If you want an all correct pretty rifle be prepared to pay, because you aren't just buying a gun to shoot; you are, in fact, buying a gun a lot of people, like Mr. Hayes, will never shoot.

Robert Scott
09-13-2021, 04:35
One of the most desireable features of a "collector grade" is an original, correctly marked cartouched stock. I've seen supposedly collector grades sold on GB and other sites that were refinished, overhauled and marked with an arsenal stamp. The cartouched stock can be more valuable than the rest of the rifle. I know that Large Wheel GHS stocks were selling for over a thousand dollars in Southern California, and that was 20 years ago....

Art
09-14-2021, 02:19
One of the most desireable features of a "collector grade" is an original, correctly marked cartouched stock. I've seen supposedly collector grades sold on GB and other sites that were refinished, overhauled and marked with an arsenal stamp. The cartouched stock can be more valuable than the rest of the rifle. I know that Large Wheel GHS stocks were selling for over a thousand dollars in Southern California, and that was 20 years ago....

This is so true. It is also something you really have to be careful about. Over the years I've seen "fraud kits," that is reproduction kits of the dies used to do the cartouches for sale on several sites. Dummied up stocks are out there and they can be hard to detect. There is an outfit called Bardall's that advertises these dies as "stock refinishing" items.

Hal O'Peridol
11-04-2021, 05:54
DeWayne, if you are back in the area, or coming soon, PM me. I have something that might fit what you are looking for.

nf1e
11-05-2021, 05:09
Expect to pay in excess of 3K for a true papered correct collector grade, not some of the so called " corrected" that folks put together in their basements with parts from all over. Funny today how some try to pull the wool over buyer's eyes by saying something is correct when indeed it is not. A rifle is not really correct unless it is as it came from the factory with all of the original parts still installed. A rifle can not really be made correct if it was not to start with.

togor
11-09-2021, 04:44
5 yrs or so ago, I sold 4 M1's for a friend,

all were restorations to as they would have left the factory in each year,
all were done well, he searched long and hard for the correct stuff with matching finishes,
not a single piece was refinished

the Winchester brought $2500, the Springfield's (1945/1944/1943) brought $2000 each,

2 owners down the road the "restoration" tag is dropped.

Garands are a bad bet for collectors.

For one thing there are a kabillion of them out there, for another, the restorations and outright humps.

CMP rifles with certificate/data sheet are a bit better. The CMP correct grade means "they only effed with it maybe a little."

I have a HRA Greek return correct from about '08. It was a swap as the first one they sent me had a misindexed barrel from the factory which meant the op rod couldn't not drag on the ferrule.

The one they sent in swap was all original but loaded with dimples from bullet tips. Did choose to steam them out which as we know does a number on the original finish.

Then there was the CMP's hot water cleaning technique. Gotta say some of the decisions made in Anniston were head-scratchers.