PDA

View Full Version : Washing machines that just look like washing machines

dryheat
09-19-2021, 11:39
So, I bought this new washer. It's HE(high efficiency). I really should know better. It doesn't have an actual agitator, it has 1" high bumps at bottom of the tub. I kind of thought, good idea, I can wash the sleeping bags and maybe even the tents in it. But it doesn't clean clothes. First off it cuts back on water. You know, save water for the environment. I can wash my jeans three times with all the setting at Heavy Duty and they still don't come clean. I hope all the new washers aren't this stingy on water. I checked the reviews and people hate these things. I read a proffesional review and mine(and all the others) fail every catagory except water and energy savings. I wrote a scathing review myself and got it accepted. Monday Whirlpool(who bought Maytag) is going to hear from me.

lyman
09-19-2021, 12:41
can you just go back to using a flat rock down on the river bank?

dryheat
09-19-2021, 01:50
Until I get rid of this thing I might have to use the bathroom sink or the ce-ment pond.

lyman
09-19-2021, 03:39
Until I get rid of this thing I might have to use the bathroom sink or the ce-ment pond.

that made me LOL

wife and I got marred in 1986 (35 yrs and 5 days ago),
when I met her grandmother, she (grandmother) was still using one of those old style washers,

looked like a barrel attached to a frame, with the rollers to roll out the water,
damn thing had what looked like an old truck gear shift on the side to make it work,

she passed in the late 90's,, and was still using it ,,,,,
they sold it after she passed, for as much as a new washer cost

dogtag
09-19-2021, 04:18
Maybe they made the toilets that somehow save water by needing to be flushed three times.

PWC
09-19-2021, 06:06
looked like a barrel attached to a frame, with the rollers to roll out the water,
damn thing had what looked like an old truck gear shift on the side to make it work,

Those "rollers" were wringers, thus the name "wringer washer". After the clothes were washed. They were laid across the feed ramp and fed into the rubber rollers. The pressure between the rollers was adjustable so if the clothes got waded up, it would pop the top roller. Worked when you got your fingers caught too, I know first hand, or finger, as the case may be. If the pressure was set too high. It was tough on buttons.

The "4 on the floor" shift on the side shifted the transmission to agitate/wash the clothes, shift wringer forward or back, and pump out the water. You could attach a hose and water the yard or garden. The soap then was milder, and wouldn't kill the grass or vegetables. You had to add the water, usually from a hose from a double sink (concrete) in the garage.

Years ago, gas stations had hand cranked wringers for their chamois skin "rags" to clean car windows...before squegees.

lyman
09-19-2021, 06:19
Those "rollers" were wringers, thus the name "wringer washer". After the clothes were washed. They were laid across the feed ramp and fed into the rubber rollers. The pressure between the rollers was adjustable so if the clothes got waded up, it would pop the top roller. Worked when you got your fingers caught too, I know first hand, or finger, as the case may be. If the pressure was set too high. It was tough on buttons.

The "4 on the floor" shift on the side shifted the transmission to agitate/wash the clothes, shift wringer forward or back, and pump out the water. You could attach a hose and water the yard or garden. The soap then was milder, and wouldn't kill the grass or vegetables. You had to add the water, usually from a hose from a double sink (concrete) in the garage.

Years ago, gas stations had hand cranked wringers for their chamois skin "rags" to clean car windows...before squegees.

yup,

she had a piece of wood to put over it, then a sewn cover she had made

the house they had was small, so it sat and was used in the kitchen,
laundry time,, pull the cover, move the wood, and use it, (hose from the sink,, drained in the sink)
when done, wipe it off, cover it up, and roll it (it was on wheels) back over to the spot it sat in for probably 40+ years, cover it up and use it as a small table if needed,,

kj47
09-20-2021, 02:18
Yep, mother had old maytag with the rollers. In 1970 dad bought a new maytag automatic and brought the old one to camp. needless to say, mother would take the laundry home to wash.

Major Tom
09-20-2021, 04:43
Just a side note; my grandma bought her first refridgerator back in 1952. When she passed I hauled it to my garage to keep drinks cold. It still works! Even the very small freezer compartment.

JimF
09-20-2021, 06:14
Anyone remember the old “Hoosiers”?

Allen
09-20-2021, 06:39
My grandmother had one of those wringer washing machines. Like said, they lasted forever but were dangerous. She had a damaged finger from getting it caught in the rollers and yes, they were rough on the buttons too.

Getting back to the new style washers. My sister in law and some co-workers complained about their new machines not cleaning and having to wash the clothes several times. I think in all cases they had to go to a different detergent and now like the washers.

You may have to do some on-line reserch as to what others did or suggest. I doubt the sales staff where the machine was bought will be of much help.

BudT
09-20-2021, 07:21
We have tried to keep our appliances as simple as possible, no smart stuff except one TV and the phones. they ain't that smart. When we moved into the Idaho house we got rid of the stove/range and replaced it with a much older rebuilt coil type and it works well for us then the refrigerator was hauled away and replaced with a older gone through one. We did buy a new washer and dryer which was the old style not high energy efficient or loaded with smart features just a very simple old style set. They are a bit noisy but they work great as do the other things. Used appliance stores can be your friend when you want a simple appliance go look. The old gas refrigerators lasted forever and I wish I had bought one 40 years ago. To soon old to late smart, oh well maybe next time.
BudT

dryheat
09-20-2021, 07:43
I stopped by a yard sale yesterday and saw a washer for sale. It was one just like mine. I guess they didn't like it either.

BudT
09-20-2021, 07:50
I stopped by a yard sale yesterday and saw a washer for sale. It was one just like mine. I guess they didn't like it either.

I think they call that a clue.

Allen
09-20-2021, 08:15
"Washing machines that just look like washing machines "

Oh, wait, no where to put the clothes in.

BudT
09-20-2021, 10:14
"Washing machines that just look like washing machines "

Oh, wait, no where to put the clothes in.

Larry,Moe and Curly Joe's car, AKA Lefties bubble with doughnut tires. The green group.

Johnny P
09-21-2021, 07:01
I can still remember the smell of fresh sheets hung out on a clothes line to dry.

Major Tom
09-21-2021, 08:45

Pray tell, what manufacturer/brand name!

dryheat
09-21-2021, 12:27
Whirlpool/Maytag. They are the same co. now. I just came back from my brothers. I used their washer and everything is nice and clean. I'm hoping that you can still buy a normal washer(with agitator) that will do the job. Just don't get anything "high efficient".
I called them yesterday and Monday probably isn't the best day. "We are experiencing heaver than normal calls, please stay on the line". I am going to have to dedicate a day to arguing with them.

dogtag
09-21-2021, 07:53
that made me LOL

wife and I got marred in 1986 (35 yrs and 5 days ago),
when I met her grandmother, she (grandmother) was still using one of those old style washers,

she passed in the late 90's,, and was still using it ,,,,,
they sold it after she passed, for as much as a new washer cost

That's where the saying comes from "Getting your tit caught in the wringer"

dryheat
09-21-2021, 10:41
God dang, that's an oldy. Since we're talking old time(relatively): don't get yer pecker in a twist. Or, don't get yer panties in a wad. I'm not crazy about every goofy thing that was popular in the '70's. DT's pre-dates the sixties. Getting your tit caught in the wringer means, you screwed up. You leaned a little too forward. Now yer in trouble. It hurts. Yup, you don't want to get your tit caught in the wringer. Don't get your panties in a wad.

lyman
09-22-2021, 05:44
how about getting your Knickers in a twist? is that allowed?:icon_lol: