PDA

View Full Version : Covid vaccines

Major Tom
09-20-2021, 04:48
My daughter had her 2 covid shots because her work requiered it. Last week her son (age 13) tested positive. They were both quarinteed for 17 days. Now my daughter has tested positive! So much for protection! Also, home test kits are unavailable, period! Thanks Joe!

Roadkingtrax
09-20-2021, 05:02
He says you're welcome. Operation Warp Speed was credit to the Trump Administration, and something they did right. You should really be thanking him?

lyman
09-20-2021, 05:53
the vaccine is to keep you from death,, not from getting it, but to keep you off death row, (ICU)

Hal O'Peridol
09-21-2021, 01:22
the vaccine is to keep you from death,, not from getting it, but to keep you off death row, (ICU)

That is correct. It is not a vaccine, but gene therapy.

togor
09-21-2021, 04:01

Yeah...no.

It's training for the immune system so when it encounters the real deal it's not starting from scratch. That leads to less severe disease.

Nobody's genome is getting rewritten. If somebody believes otherwise they seriously need to reconsider their sources of information.

togor
09-21-2021, 04:43
My daughter had her 2 covid shots because her work requiered it. Last week her son (age 13) tested positive. They were both quarinteed for 17 days. Now my daughter has tested positive! So much for protection! Also, home test kits are unavailable, period! Thanks Joe!

On home tests.....

There were plenty in the summer, before Delta took hold here (but not before it had emerged overseas). Abbott Labs, makers of the BinaxNOW kit, decided at that point to completely shut down a plant in Illinois and even have employees deliberately destroy unshipped kits.

With friends like that in private industry who needs the government to make things worse.

lyman
09-21-2021, 05:33
got a link for that,, ??

BudT
09-21-2021, 08:26

Yes, genetically modified and a attempt for some sort of gain. Not a vaccine.

- - - Updated - - -

got a link for that,, ??

I bet I know what the answer is to your question.

lyman
09-21-2021, 09:06
I bet I know what the answer is to your question.

Vox or The Slate??

togor
09-21-2021, 11:30
Vox or The Slate??

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/as-covid-surges-yet-again-abbott-responds-to-report-it-destroyed-old-diagnostic-tests.

BudT
09-21-2021, 02:27
Vox or The Slate??

Something not credible.

lyman
09-21-2021, 02:47
Something not credible.

that would be both or them

Mark in Ottawa
09-28-2021, 07:09
Forget about the side effects of getting a vaccine shot and think about the side effect of not getting a vaccine shot. My understanding is that over 99% of current COVID deaths are among the unvaccinated.

Merc
09-28-2021, 11:45
Forget about the side effects of getting a vaccine shot and think about the side effect of not getting a vaccine shot. My understanding is that over 99% of current COVID deaths are among the unvaccinated.

I have many family and friends who have refused to be vaccinated. I will never understand their reasons that I have heard:

I trust my immune system. God will protect me. I will just wear a mask and wash my hands and I will be fine. The vaccine was developed too quickly and not tested thoroughly. The side effects are unknown or too severe. No one, especially the federal government, is going to tell me what to do.

What they fail to realize is (a) they are 15 times more likely to became seriously ill and die of COVID than those of us who are vaccinated, and (b) it is only a matter of time before everyone is exposed to COVID.

togor
09-29-2021, 09:26
+1 Merc, well said.

one shot
09-29-2021, 12:09
Got my 3rd pfizer pretty uneventful hopefully we all have the opportunity to get the shots we choose to get .

Art
09-29-2021, 02:25

Did your children get sick? If they did not get sick the vaccines almost surely did their job. The vaccine is supposed to prevent disease, at this no vaccine is 100% effective. The seasonal flu vaccine is sometimes only 40% effective at preventing disease. If a vaccine does not prevent infection it's supposed to mitigate the symptoms. Lyman (below) is 100% correct on this point.

I listened to a talk show (Hanity's) where the mother in law (I believe that's correct) of a Texas State Policeman, 37 years old, who was working the border, caught COVID and died. When asked if the fellow had been vaccinated the lady said "no." My sympathy level went down a couple of pegs at that point.

This is a very serious disease, I've had a "moderate" case and I can tell you that it was the sickest I've ever been without being hospitalized.

jjrothWA
09-29-2021, 06:31
On Saturday the 25th, I caught a radio show out of Canada, that had a Ontario dept. of Health spokesman, who indicated "talk with you Doctor," if you have the various vaccine shot or shots, don't worry as all vaccine will go through the "waning vaccine" in efficacy. Which is standard procedure ,as your body has the markers to regenerate new antibodies.

Leave the booster, only if your Doctor recommends it due to: over 65 and other health situations you are a first responder, teacher, etc.

Ltdave
09-30-2021, 05:14

IF you believed the MSM...

Israel is recognized as the most heavily vaccinated nation on earth. 80% of covid patients, in the hospitals, are vaccinated. the vaccine is working so well, that Norway has refused entry of anyone coming from Israel vaccinated or not...

togor
09-30-2021, 05:32
IF you believed the MSM...

Israel is recognized as the most heavily vaccinated nation on earth. 80% of covid patients, in the hospitals, are vaccinated. the vaccine is working so well, that Norway has refused entry of anyone coming from Israel vaccinated or not...

Has Norway rejected the vaccine? Have the Israelis conclude the vaccine is no good? No and no.

Selectively assembling facts to drive towards a preferred conclusion.

Hal O'Peridol
10-01-2021, 12:22
Yeah...no.

It's training for the immune system so when it encounters the real deal it's not starting from scratch. That leads to less severe disease.

Nobody's genome is getting rewritten. If somebody believes otherwise they seriously need to reconsider their sources of information.
:icon_rolleyes:

Major Tom
10-02-2021, 07:27
CA Newsom mandates for covid vacs for children K-12! While HIS kids are exempt!

Allen
10-02-2021, 07:43
CA Newsom mandates for covid vacs for children K-12! While HIS kids are exempt!

And as mentioned before, congressional leaders and their families are exempt from the covid mandates.

"Do as I say, not as I do".

Most all popular media sites block ANY comments or warnings against the vaccines, biden's son, and what biden has done to America and Afghanistan.

Red flags everywhere but people don't see nor want to see.

lyman
10-02-2021, 07:44
:icon_rolleyes:

Hal,

I get it,

togor
10-02-2021, 10:17
Hal,

I get it,

You want the link explaining what the vaccine does in your body after the jab?

Guessing no, it won't make any difference. Experts, schmexperts.

<sarcasm>
The guy I get my tires from knows more about Covid than Fauci!

And the guy we get our beef from knows a helluva lot more about tires than the guy at the store, who just wants to move inventory.
</sarcasm>

- - - Updated - - -

Hal,

I get it,

More to the point--

You said you got the jab.

You telling us you think it rewrote your DNA?

lyman
10-02-2021, 11:29
You want the link explaining what the vaccine does in your body after the jab?

Guessing no, it won't make any difference. Experts, schmexperts.

<sarcasm>
The guy I get my tires from knows more about Covid than Fauci!

And the guy we get our beef from knows a helluva lot more about tires than the guy at the store, who just wants to move inventory.
</sarcasm>

- - - Updated - - -

More to the point--

You said you got the jab.

You telling us you think it rewrote your DNA?

care to explain your tirade?

do you know Hal or anything about him?
do you have a clue what he was rolling his eyes at?

oscars
10-02-2021, 02:21
Newsom’s kids are under 12 and are not vaccinated because there is no approved vaccine for this age group.

togor
10-02-2021, 02:51
care to explain your tirade?

do you know Hal or anything about him?
do you have a clue what he was rolling his eyes at?

Only tirade I see is yours.

If Hal wants to roll his eyes at what are generally considered medical facts, then he's free to do so. Nobody had a problem there.

Then you jump in with one of your snide comments and you're shocked that someone actually calls you on it. Nobody is supposed to do that around here lest they face your wrath. This exchange is all on you.

Back to topic.

CDC page on how the vaccines work. If this was truly BS and not fact-based then someone would have cut it to ribbons long ago, for all the enemies the CDC has.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/how-they-work.html

lyman
10-02-2021, 04:39
Only tirade I see is yours.

If Hal wants to roll his eyes at what are generally considered medical facts, then he's free to do so. Nobody had a problem there.

Then you jump in with one of your snide comments and you're shocked that someone actually calls you on it. Nobody is supposed to do that around here lest they face your wrath. This exchange is all on you.

Back to topic.

CDC page on how the vaccines work. If this was truly BS and not fact-based then someone would have cut it to ribbons long ago, for all the enemies the CDC has.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/how-they-work.html

stop with the deflection,

I simply posted a short set of words, and you posted a pile of word salad,

so,

care to explain for the others?

one shot
10-02-2021, 05:10
Well my opinion is the more you talk about it the more it causes irritable bowel syndrome , if you want the shot roll up your sleeve if not live with your decision .

Hal O'Peridol
10-02-2021, 09:28
see post below. somehow got a double post.

Hal O'Peridol
10-02-2021, 09:33
I'm back and togor, please kiss my ever lovin 4th point of contact.

I worked as an RN for 20 years at a regional level 2 trauma center. I have had extensive infectious disease training and education since 1998 and every year since then up to retirement. A mask does not do crap against a virus. Most of the masks sold and worn are not even medical grade, so useless. The only masks PROVEN to work against a virus are N95 masks and PAPR systems. It is all virtue signalling, and worse than useless, as it gives John Q the feeling of false protection.

Yes I got vaccinated, and not one of the experimental, rushed to production mRNA shots.

So, what are your bona fides beside being a keyboard cowboy?

Merc
10-03-2021, 03:46
Well my opinion is the more you talk about it the more it causes irritable bowel syndrome , if you want the shot roll up your sleeve if not live with your decision .

….and express regret on your death bed that you decided not to be vaccinated. The vast majority of these deaths are avoidable.

one shot
10-03-2021, 07:46
I'm back and togor, please kiss my ever lovin 4th point of contact.

I worked as an RN for 20 years at a regional level 2 trauma center. I have had extensive infectious disease training and education since 1998 and every year since then up to retirement. A mask does not do crap against a virus. Most of the masks sold and worn are not even medical grade, so useless. The only masks PROVEN to work against a virus are N95 masks and PAPR systems. It is all virtue signalling, and worse than useless, as it gives John Q the feeling of false protection.

Yes I got vaccinated, and not one of the experimental, rushed to production mRNA shots.

So, what are your bona fides beside being a keyboard cowboy?

I'm honestly interested Hal what vaccine did you take ,

oscars
10-03-2021, 09:52
There are only three approved vaccines: the two mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) and the viral vector vaccine (J and J) which does not approach the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines (66-70% vs 95%).

Roadkingtrax
10-03-2021, 10:41
There are only three approved vaccines: the two mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) and the viral vector vaccine (J and J) which does not approach the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines (66-70% vs 95%).

If people don't want the vaccine, they shouldn't have to get it.

This crisis is overwhelming impacting Trump winning counties.

togor
10-03-2021, 11:01
Hi Hal,

Whether the mRNA shot rewrites your DNA or not is biology not opinion. I'm no expert on it but I will go with the explanation given, that the messenger RNA (mRNA) tells cells to pump out copies of the spike protein for awhile, then they go back to doing other things. Those spike proteins then get other parts of the immune system going.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/different-types-of-covid-19-vaccines/art-20506465

From the link:

After delivering instructions, the mRNA is immediately broken down. It never enters the nucleus of your cells, where your DNA is kept. Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines use mRNA.

If you want to believe something different you can, and I'll go with what these guys are saying, again, because there are too many people who would call them on it if it wasn't factually true.

Added:

As for masks, I have a kid who is an MD, who does intubations. For those intubations, yeah full N95, etc. For normal operations, less of that. Analogy I have heard that makes sense to me is, the mask is like a raincoat, the virus like raindrops, the goal is to not get wet. In a light rain, a light raincoat can be enough. In a heavy downpour, a heavy raincoat needed. And as far as getting wet goes, a little dampness or a few drops is not the same as getting soaked. Time out in the rain matters too. All day versus 15 minutes. YMMV. But arguing that light raincoats are useless, certainly someone can be of that opinion, but they still sell a lot of light raincoats so people must use them for something.

Johnny P
10-03-2021, 03:42
Nothing prevents the virus, but Mayo Clinic says the masks help. Who you gonna believe?

lyman
10-03-2021, 07:37
Hi Hal,

Whether the mRNA shot rewrites your DNA or not is biology not opinion. I'm no expert on it but I will go with the explanation given, that the messenger RNA (mRNA) tells cells to pump out copies of the spike protein for awhile, then they go back to doing other things. Those spike proteins then get other parts of the immune system going.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/different-types-of-covid-19-vaccines/art-20506465

From the link:

If you want to believe something different you can, and I'll go with what these guys are saying, again, because there are too many people who would call them on it if it wasn't factually true.

Added:

As for masks, I have a kid who is an MD, who does intubations. For those intubations, yeah full N95, etc. For normal operations, less of that. Analogy I have heard that makes sense to me is, the mask is like a raincoat, the virus like raindrops, the goal is to not get wet. In a light rain, a light raincoat can be enough. In a heavy downpour, a heavy raincoat needed. And as far as getting wet goes, a little dampness or a few drops is not the same as getting soaked. Time out in the rain matters too. All day versus 15 minutes. YMMV. But arguing that light raincoats are useless, certainly someone can be of that opinion, but they still sell a lot of light raincoats so people must use them for something.

linky link,,,, still waiting for that answer

Hal O'Peridol
10-03-2021, 09:37
Hi Hal,

From the link:

Added:

Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Again, what is your training and background?

Hal O'Peridol
10-03-2021, 09:43
Didn't answer his question/\.

Hal O'Peridol
10-03-2021, 09:52

Correct. And latest studies show the effectiveness of the Pfizer jab is now down to less than 50%. In less than a year.

Major Tom
10-04-2021, 04:30
Newsom?s kids are under 12 and are not vaccinated because there is no approved vaccine for this age group.

Then why did Newsom ORDER a mandate for ALL kids in K-12?

togor
10-04-2021, 06:34
Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Again, what is your training and background?

Here you go.

I'm an engineer. Not a biomedical one but I have worked in the medical industry, still earning paychecks doing it. I know a few things about sensitivity analysis, statistics, probability, separating facts supported by data from opinion and wishful thinking. The thing about engineering is the physical laws that decide whether a component fails because it got too hot, too cold, was too soft, the wrong shape, etc., those laws don't care about anybody's feelings. If an engineer wants to build stuff that works, he has to respect those laws. The complete opposite of politics.

So ideas like adding a little bit of resistance to virus transmission with ordinary masks, to get the R0 from above 1.0 to below 1.0 make sense to me. The mask doesn't have to stop every case to be worthwhile. But if enough masks are used by enough people, it can knock down the rate of spread in the population to the point where the caseload stays down, or doesn't go up as fast--the so-called flattening of the curve. Why do they do that? To avoid ICU overrun with the most severe cases and the fatality spikes we have seen in a few spots. If it wasn't for that, then probably no mask orders, vaccine mandates.

I have no doubt you think your work experience and training stack up higher than that. That's fine by me, I don't care. But, your training in infectious diseases was put together by outfits like the CDC, was it not? The same CDC that says that masks help slow down the spread of the virus, and that mRNA vaccines are not rewriting your DNA? So if eye rolls are in order, I'll roll mine at the idea that according to you I can't cite the CDC or Mayo clinic or other sources when they explain these treatments.

You believe what you want. But beliefs put out as stone cold facts, those might get challenged.

lyman
10-04-2021, 06:36
wow Hal, you got an answer,

that rarely happens,

togor
10-04-2021, 07:33
wow Hal, you got an answer,

that rarely happens,

What IS the point of the snide remarks anyways?

This advances civil discussion how exactly?

lyman
10-04-2021, 07:35
just another day of you actually answering a question,

a milestone here at Jouster,

of course, none of it qualifies you for diddly in this discussion, but that's ok, it's a start

Roadkingtrax
10-04-2021, 12:21
Here you go.

I'm an engineer. Not a biomedical one but I have worked in the medical industry, still earning paychecks doing it. I know a few things about sensitivity analysis, statistics, probability, separating facts supported by data from opinion and wishful thinking. The thing about engineering is the physical laws that decide whether a component fails because it got too hot, too cold, was too soft, the wrong shape, etc., those laws don't care about anybody's feelings. If an engineer wants to build stuff that works, he has to respect those laws. The complete opposite of politics.

So ideas like adding a little bit of resistance to virus transmission with ordinary masks, to get the R0 from above 1.0 to below 1.0 make sense to me. The mask doesn't have to stop every case to be worthwhile. But if enough masks are used by enough people, it can knock down the rate of spread in the population to the point where the caseload stays down, or doesn't go up as fast--the so-called flattening of the curve. Why do they do that? To avoid ICU overrun with the most severe cases and the fatality spikes we have seen in a few spots. If it wasn't for that, then probably no mask orders, vaccine mandates.

I have no doubt you think your work experience and training stack up higher than that. That's fine by me, I don't care. But, your training in infectious diseases was put together by outfits like the CDC, was it not? The same CDC that says that masks help slow down the spread of the virus, and that mRNA vaccines are not rewriting your DNA? So if eye rolls are in order, I'll roll mine at the idea that according to you I can't cite the CDC or Mayo clinic or other sources when they explain these treatments.

You believe what you want. But beliefs put out as stone cold facts, those might get challenged.

You and Hal share something in common, and that levels the opinion field a bit.

Unless he's a nurse practitioner, neither of you can legally prescribe medications.

togor
10-04-2021, 02:41

Unless he's a nurse practitioner, neither of you can legally prescribe medications.

Never wanted to be a doctor.

Hal wanted to know something about my background, how it plays into how I think about COVID, so I told him.

He's well within his rights to conclude I'm full of it, LOL.

Roadkingtrax
10-04-2021, 02:58
Never wanted to be a doctor.

Hal wanted to know something about my background, how it plays into how I think about COVID, so I told him.

He's well within his rights to conclude I'm full of it, LOL.

He may, and that's what I mean. Nurses are graded in part by quality of care surveys, and not opinions of vaccine efficacy. You've already pointed out...we ALL rely on external recommendations and the CDC.

Hal O'Peridol
10-04-2021, 08:55

No, not a ARNP. Don't want to be and never claimed to be. But I was my hospital's Infectious Disease Coordinator.

I have years of experience treating patients, setting up policies and procedures to prevent the spread of diseases, coordinating with MDs and ARNPs and training other Nurses in how to protect themselves, their patients and others from the spread of contagious infections.

I'll leave it at that. Togor, continue to spread misinformation. It's fine. That's what you are good at.

togor
10-05-2021, 04:33
Hal,

Was it not the CDC who prepared your infectious disease training materials?

Now you call citing CDC references as spreading misinformation?

You see the problem there, right?

Major Tom
10-05-2021, 07:50
Hal,

Was it not the CDC who prepared your infectious disease training materials?

Now you call citing CDC references as spreading misinformation?

You see the problem there, right?

The CDC DOES spread misinformation! Plus it seems they are in the home rental business by wanting to keep welfare humanoids from paying rent! They flucuate (sp) more on covid requierments than stupid Fauchi!

Faulkner
10-09-2021, 08:29
Take the jab, don't take the jab . . . wear a mask, don't wear a mask, doesn't matter to me. But no sense anyone pretending there are those not manipulating the COVID scare for their own social and political agenda. The media sure spends a lot of time frightening folks, and it's amazing what scared people will give up to ease their fear.

one shot
10-23-2021, 02:11
https://youtu.be/O1DgWYdukZU

jon_norstog
10-23-2021, 06:26
Six pages of aaah, discussion! Wish we could get that on the Krag, Trapdoor or black powder pages. I got my shots soon as I could get them, and got the booster a couple weeks ago. I feel bulletproof, and I live in a low-infection area (Multnomah Co. OR). My dau and her family live in a hot spot. She had the virus but it wasn't too bad 'cause she and her husband had their shots. The girls got a little sick when their mom had it, one of them recovered and they didn't bother w/ a test. The other got something but tested negative for Covid. Bonner County ID where they live, the 14-day rates for infection are 5X higher than here and the death rate is over 10X. The church where my son-in-law is minister just lost another member. Cold weather coming and people will be gathering indoors more .....

They have a good County shooting range their and you don't have to be a "member" I had hoped to get up there before hunting season and bust a few caps. M<y wife says it is too dangerous to go now & much as I may disagree I gotta respect that. I've been edging the Krag hunting loads up past most manual's max, a few tenths of a grain at a time. I wanted to try a box of somewhat hotter loads - still haven't got primer flattening as severe as factory loads. The virus kinda put a kink in that plan.

I'll be back in Idaho for the December muzzle loader hunt. Maybe sooner if the death rate in Boner Co. drops a bit.

All I'm gonna say is "get the shot and live."

jn

Art
10-23-2021, 07:44
+1, Jon, +1.

kj47
10-24-2021, 07:12
AGREE, Jon. What does this have to do with Gun Talk?

one shot
10-24-2021, 10:39
I agree this is the cracker barrel thread , what's your favorite meal at the cracker barrel mine is the chicken and dumplins with a bowl of turnip greens and the hash brown casserole . And for dessert the double chocolate fudge coca cola cake with vanilla ice cream and make it a double .

Allen
10-24-2021, 11:11
This has come up before.

Probably needs to be a miscellaneous forum but there isn't.

one shot
10-24-2021, 11:43
But Allen they don't have miscellaneous on a cracker barrel menu you have to stick to the menu , but they do have breakfast all day .

Art
10-24-2021, 11:57
Here's the issue to me.

If went through some of the top forums.

The M1/M14 forum leads the pack with four threads this month two by nfle

The Smallbore and Sport forum has one thread this month and its the first since March

The M16 forum has one thread this month and its the first since December last year.

The M1 Carbine forum has had one thread this month and that's the only one since Sept.

The last thread on the SMLE forum was last month.

In my dislexic scattered mind may have missed something but I think you get the point.

This is supposed to be a gun forum weighted toward military surplus and vintage weapons with a tip of the hat to history, especially military history and politics ostensibly related, at least peripherally to shooting and gun ownership. I remember well spirited conversations on this forum about things like what constituted an M1903A1, or occasional threads relating to items like the pros and cons of the T34 tank just about none of that stuff any more.

While this is a forum for people to post miscellaneous stuff I recall when the bulk (though certainly far from all) of the miscellaneous stuff IIRC related to firearms and firearms issues and historical topics.

Now a disclaimer, I've posted assorted stuff on this forum and I don't have a problem with this thread as such. It's the lack of stuff the site used to be about that concerns me.

one shot
10-24-2021, 12:37
I like the pancakes myself .

Merc
10-27-2021, 02:21
I’ve tried to stimulate conversations on a few gun threads - and got crickets. The interest just isn’t there anymore.

dryheat
10-27-2021, 02:34
I’ve tried to stimulate conversations on a few gun threads - and got crickets. The interest just isn’t there anymore.

Yer right. The MilSurp thing was from 1950 thru 1995(even the date looks old). It's over. I never cared about black powder and now no one cares about WWII stuff. I have had my time with milsurp. Sorry, but the title of the thread was covid vaccines.

Merc
10-27-2021, 02:48
My granddaughter works at a major hospital cardiac unit. Her specialty is operating a life support system known as ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation). It’s normally used to provide heart lung functions while the heart is stopped during open heart surgery. ECMO is now used to keep end stage COVID patients alive. She sees them every day. Young and old. They all have two things in common. Unvaccinated. Waited too long before seeking treatment.

Merc
10-27-2021, 03:16
Yer right. The MilSurp thing was from 1950 thru 1995(even the date looks old). It's over. I never cared about black powder and now no one cares about WWII stuff. I have had my time with milsurp. Sorry, but the title of the thread was covid vaccines.

The thing I wonder about is who are all the observers I often see at the bottom of the topic page. I might see 20 or more, and zero members. I think there’s some interest in our forum, but very little participation.

lyman
10-27-2021, 05:36

interest is there, as in out there,

however,

between the trollish behavior in the past, and the competition out there (other forums that were and still are moderated better than this place was during the same time period) the folks have left here,

some passed,
some are on various other forums,

some have changed interests or stopped collecting,

- - - Updated - - -

BTW 59 people have read this thread, all members