PDA

View Full Version : keeping your sling soft and pliable ??

satan
10-04-2021, 07:03
hi guys , what are using to keeping your sling
soft and pliable ??
please post , many thanks, rojo

Merc
10-05-2021, 02:53
I’ve used Lexol with good results.

bruce
10-05-2021, 05:58
My go to sling is a standard USGI marked MRT that I bought at a gunshow way back in the days of Reagan. Gave it a dose of mink oil, not to much, just enough and have used it ever since. Regular doses of sweat and occasional wiping w/ a cloth lightly dampened in mink oil has kept it nice. It is not soft as a pair of deerskin moccasins. Don't want it that soft. It is about like a nice old belt, soft but stiff enough for the job at hand ... holding hard for prone slow and rapid, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

Johnny P
10-05-2021, 02:07
I have several that date to 1917/1918 on 1903 rifles, and finally settled to Pecards. Every year or so I give them a very light coat and they have held up well. Have a couple I used Mink Oil on, and they form a white residue that has to be removed. The Mink Oil treated are still pliable, but still form the white residue no matter how many times it is wiped off.

EO1
10-09-2021, 11:28
On my leather, I use either pure lanolin or jojoba oil. Both can be found on the bay.
I learned my lesson with neatsfoot oil.

satan
10-09-2021, 12:08
please tell me about neatsfoot oil ??

Johnny P
10-09-2021, 01:53
I can tell you about my experience with neatsfoot oil. Sometime around 1975 I gave my dad a Randall knife with his name on it. My dad was a firm believer in neatsfoot oil, and treated the knife scabbard with it. Over the years the leather has turned very dark, and the strap has almost disintegrated around the snap. The scabbards on Randall knives I bought in the same time period are still in excellent condition.

satan
10-09-2021, 02:45
ok , I thought I would ask, many thanks,

EO1
10-10-2021, 08:43
Neatsfoot promotes the growth of nasty little critters that affect the leather and especially the stitching.
Lanolin and jojoba inhibits the growth.

Merc
10-11-2021, 04:06
Here’s a good article on the pros and cons of neatsfoot oil.

https://favoredleather.com/is-neatsfoot-oil-bad-for-leather-2/#:~:text=While%20neatsfoot%20oil%20is%20going%20to %20help%20nourish,the%20Neatsfoot%20oil%20graduall y%20clogging%20the%20leather%20pores.

Merc
10-11-2021, 04:16
Here’s a forum with comments about Lexol. Looks like production was moved to China and the formula was changed. I guess it was inevitable.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-in-the-hell-happened-to-lexol.644085/

jjrothWA
10-19-2021, 04:58
I find the Fleibing's "SNOW-PROOF" does a nice job on all leather slings. It a beeswax and neat's-foot oil mixture,
found it best with a clean leather item and get it in the sun and then apply when warm and it get absorbed and done.

usedon my boots before hunting season and woork great. in winter if you have to re-apply do it around a furnace to warm and let the compound get absorbed.

JohnMOhio
02-07-2022, 05:53
I happen to use Pecard. This company has several types. The one I purchased and am 100% satisfied with it is their Antique Leather Dressing. Bought the 16 oz tub. Outstanding quality and protection. Can be and is used on your shoes and boots. Also recommended use for saddles, harness and other leather goods.

Johnny P
02-08-2022, 01:49
Adding to what JonnM said, don't apply the Pecards and set the leather out in the sun to speed it up. The sun melts it and breaks it down. I just apply a thin coat every few years, set the rifle back in the safe, and let the leather absorb it.

JohnMOhio
02-08-2022, 10:57
I apply a thin coat and let it sit for 2 to 3 days to let it soak in. Depending on my schedule, I have gone a couple of days more. I then give it a light buffing with a soft rag, let it set another day and use a soft shoe brush for a final buffing.

milboltnut
02-09-2022, 12:52
Skidmore's leather cream. Wipe it down once a year but make sure the excess is wiped off once you work it in. Good stuff

Liam
02-10-2022, 11:21
On my M1907 slings I use Montana Pitch Blend, which is a mix of pine pitch, mink oil & beeswax. They claim it inhibits fungus/mildew. I like it because it leaves a slightly tacky feel, which is what I want on an adjustable sling.

Art
02-14-2022, 11:46
I used to use saddle soap, and it actually worked ok. I found Mink Oil to be better though and I have used Lexol with good results.

Dick Hosmer
02-19-2022, 11:13
Pecard, only.

hyrax222
02-21-2022, 01:29
I work at a military museum and no cleaner, conditioner, treatment or preservative is allowed on leather. These artifacts will not be in use or handled so only light vacuuming to remove atmospheric deposit. They are a time capsule for the future of military use.

All these treatments listed will discolor leather, all will accelerate decomposition. Any applied amendments will devalue your artifact.
If you wish to make items more pliant and useable, go ahead, I certainly did before I knew different.

hyrax222

Johnny P
02-21-2022, 06:09
I have to disagree with "all the treatments" will discolor leather. Any leather that has been used is discolored to a certain extend depending on how hard it was used. The slings I have treated with Pecards have not changed color in at least 30 years, and see no reason they will start now. Leather is organic, and once tanned gets dry with age. Museum leather just lays there and is never flexed. Any leather like a gun sling has to be pliable or it too will crack and break.

cmcwilliams
03-24-2022, 07:17
Highly recommend Saphir leather creme. Fairly expensive, but it is great on putting moisture back in the leather.

Monster Man
07-05-2022, 09:47
I use bear fat (refined)......I am a muzzleloader and I keep it and beeswax around at all times. Bear fat works really well on leather rifle slings.