PDA

View Full Version : The Straw Man

Art
12-07-2021, 11:40
A large number, perhaps the majority of firearms used by criminals barred by law from possessing them, are bought through intermediaries, usually girlfriends or wives as "straw man" transactions. Interestingly only the straw purchaser has legal liability not the recipient who provided the money. Kyle Rittenhouse obtained the rifle he used through an illegal "straw man" purchase for which the fellow who conducted the actual purchase with Rittenhouse's money has actually been charged, not Federally, but in state court on charges of providing a weapon to a minor. I'll guarantee if it had been possible to prosecute Rittenhouse for his part in the purchase it would have been done.

Most gun rights organizations support the prosecution of "straw" purchases - - so why doesn't it happen? I mean this is low hanging fruit.

The best explanation of why it doesn't happen is the nature of the purchasers. Nobody in power wants to answer for locking up large numbers of women, especially minority women.

barretcreek
12-07-2021, 03:59
In Fallon there's store on Hwy 50. One door, one cash register. Guns on one side, liquor on the other, didn't see any tobacco.

Guy was with his wife ? and pointing out pistols which she would then look at. Then a different gun; this went on. Finally the clerk asked 'who's this for, you or her?'.
I have a problem with the 'process crime' aspect. There was a case a few years ago. FiL was retired LE, SiL still on the job. Glock had a promo for active LE but not retired. Glock found out SiL bought one of the promo guns for the FiL and ATF busted both, even though neither was Prohibited. That's chicken. You're o.k., I'm o.k. should be a civil matter. Other hand a guy I worked with locally is always asking 'if you see a --, buy it and I'll pay you'. Always told him buy your own.

lyman
12-07-2021, 04:47
it's a fine line, re the family aspect,

the Glock buy was a big topic a few years ago, and I think there was more to it than we know,

I can't tell you the number of sales I have refused due to obvious straw activity, and I am sure there were some that got past every dealer, including myself, (it really is not that hard to do)

re the prosecution, no one wants to deal with the low hanging fruit because it is not enough bang for the buck

there is leeway for gifts, and there is leeway for spouses, per the ATF folks I have talked to, and they, (ATF) will tell you to go with your gut, if it looks, smells, etc suspicious, then don't sell)
but the courts apparently, or the prosecuting atty's , don't want to spend the time pulling the paperwork, finding proof that Lucy bought the gun for Linus or Charlie Brown, getting camera footage if any is available, etc etc etc
for a light charge,