PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor state property marks?

Zeb
12-08-2021, 09:43
I am curious if anyone on here has seen a North Dakota property mark on a trapdoor? I collect North Dakota military items and thought it would be a nice addition of a rifle. Thanks in advance.

Tom Trevor
12-09-2021, 09:06
Not in the last forty years.

Zeb
12-09-2021, 11:11
Thanks for the reply, I would think if they did mark them there would be no more than 1000 rifles total, they may even be marked Dakota territory and not ND until 1889.

lyman
12-11-2021, 02:26
do you have , or can you find out what ND had for police/militia/troops in that time frame?

Zeb
12-12-2021, 11:19
do you have , or can you find out what ND had for police/militia/troops in that time frame?
This is what I found, “ In 1883, Company A, First Regiment, Dakota National Guard, was organized at Bismarck, Dakota Territory.[1] In 1889, North Dakota became the Union's thirty-ninth state. The North Dakota National Guard was organized, comprising six infantry companies, two cavalry troops, and one artillery battery. Eight infantry companies of the First North Dakota Regiment were mobilized for the Spanish–American War and the Philippine–American War in 1898.”

lyman
12-12-2021, 03:13
This is what I found, “ In 1883, Company A, First Regiment, Dakota National Guard, was organized at Bismarck, Dakota Territory.[1] In 1889, North Dakota became the Union's thirty-ninth state. The North Dakota National Guard was organized, comprising six infantry companies, two cavalry troops, and one artillery battery. Eight infantry companies of the First North Dakota Regiment were mobilized for the Spanish–American War and the Philippine–American War in 1898.”

wondering if the Archives, or maybe the ND state library (do they have one?) has any purchase records for Company A

Zeb
12-12-2021, 05:10
wondering if the Archives, or maybe the ND state library (do they have one?) has any purchase records for Company A

We have a State library and Archives. What should I ask for? I have been meaning to get to the archives for some Genealogy research anyway.

Dick Hosmer
12-12-2021, 05:35
What's the serial number - maybe there is something in the SRS records?

lyman
12-12-2021, 07:10
We have a State library and Archives. What should I ask for? I have been meaning to get to the archives for some Genealogy research anyway.

exactly what you asked here, any records of early purchases,

if 5mad was still posting here, he may be able to help, he has a gift when it comes to sorting thru that stuff,

and Mr Hosmer is correct, a SRS search may show something

Tom Trevor
12-13-2021, 10:44
I read his question a different way. He wanted to know IF there were North Dakota marked rifles. And if so he would like to find one for his collection of North Dakota military items.

Zeb
12-13-2021, 08:09
I read his question a different way. He wanted to know IF there were North Dakota marked rifles. And if so he would like to find one for his collection of North Dakota military items.

This is correct, I am asking if they marked any rifles, sorry for the confusion guys! Does anyone have the SRS book set that could look and see if they are in there?

Dick Hosmer
12-13-2021, 11:30
I see what you mean - usually a person HAS a rifle and wants info on it. I was wrong - will look at my SRS books and see if I can find anything re North Dakota. I have never (knowingly) seen such a piece, however.

Zeb
12-14-2021, 09:48
I see what you mean - usually a person HAS a rifle and wants info on it. I was wrong - will look at my SRS books and see if I can find anything re North Dakota. I have never (knowingly) seen such a piece, however.

Thank you!

Dick Hosmer
12-14-2021, 11:50
Vols. 3,4 - nothing found for ND. Vols. 2 (HUGE TD section) and 1 (the original eye-buster!) yet to go.

I am struck by the fact that it would be great to have the SRS data in a 'modern' DB format, with proper fields, allowing ALL data to be searchable. Maybe someone (much) younger than I could approach Wayne Gagner and see if such exists, or, if not, whether it could be created - which would involve TONS of mind-numbing work (to say nothing of breeding a few errors along the way).

As I see it, you've got quite a chase. First, there is the basic question - WERE any TDs stamped "ND" (or a 19th century equivalent)? If nothing ever turns up in SRS, the odds are there weren't any, but if one/some does/do, how do you find another? Serial number 'closeness' means absolutely nothing. Perhaps the closest thing might be to check the various unit histories and see which, if any, US troops served there? NOT what you want, I know, but it may be the closest thing you'll ever find.

Zeb
12-14-2021, 02:00
Vols. 3,4 - nothing found for ND. Vols. 2 (HUGE TD section) and 1 (the original eye-buster!) yet to go.

I am struck by the fact that it would be great to have the SRS data in a 'modern' DB format, with proper fields, allowing ALL data to be searchable. Maybe someone (much) younger than I could approach Wayne Gagner and see if such exists, or, if not, whether it could be created - which would involve TONS of mind-numbing work (to say nothing of breeding a few errors along the way).

As I see it, you've got quite a chase. First, there is the basic question - WERE any TDs stamped "ND" (or a 19th century equivalent)? If nothing ever turns up in SRS, the odds are there weren't any, but if one/some does/do, how do you find another? Serial number 'closeness' means absolutely nothing. Perhaps the closest thing might be to check the various unit histories and see which, if any, US troops served there? NOT what you want, I know, but it may be the closest thing you'll ever find.

Actually I was gonna ask this very question there are alot of forts in ND Most date from the late 1860s to early 1870s How would I go about finding a rifle from one of those units? I was actually digging some finds out of one 3 weeks ago,The fort I was digging had the 20th INF stationed there, and the fort from my hometown had 20th inf also.

Lead Snowstorm
12-14-2021, 02:01

With all the appropriate legal disclaimers…

…there is a seller on the original online clearinghouse, which starts with an “e” and rhymes with day, who is advertising just such a thing on a USB stick or the like. Caveats include the questionable right to the info (although IIRC before my time it was posted as a searchable database free of charge by the original fellow behind it) and that it apparently includes - or included - only the 1995 version of the 4th volume. But supposedly the data is taken from a digital database created for the SRS books.

(I should say I have no idea if everything is searchable in the advertised format.)

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=244773

lyman
12-14-2021, 02:06

I miss the old website where you could just key in a serial number and find out ,

I'm not computer literate to know what type of database it was stored on,

I joined SRS a year or so ago, (I have 3 of the books from years past)

of course, it would be nice if they offered members access to something like the old website,

honestly tho,, it would be nice if they just updated the current sites,,,

45govt
12-14-2021, 03:25
I did purchase a copy of the SRS on the flash drive and the attached is the search function
There are "NO DAK" listings but most are university, "DAK" gives mostly "Univ of SO DAK" and "ND" finds i"ND"ian and 2"ND" and so on.

Here is a screen shot of the search page

Zeb
12-14-2021, 03:59
I did purchase a copy of the SRS on the flash drive and the attached is the search function
There are "NO DAK" listings but most are university, "DAK" gives mostly "Univ of SO DAK" and "ND" finds i"ND"ian and 2"ND" and so on.

Here is a screen shot of the search page
Looks like I have to find serial 52100 hahaha, that is what they called NDSU back on the day. Any rifles assigned to 20th inf?

45govt
12-14-2021, 04:03
Serial number is 535409

45govt
12-14-2021, 04:22
Any rifles assigned to 20th inf?

Yes, many.
Serial 71845
73Rifle

Zeb
12-14-2021, 04:39
Does it say when they where issued? I know a lot of the forts where not used into the 1880s thanks for clarifying the serials.

45govt
12-14-2021, 04:44
All it says is what you see
020183 is the date that it was surveyed,inspected...

On another note this rifle looks like it had a bad barrel twice??

Zeb
12-14-2021, 05:15

That is interesting maybe the same soldier blew up the barrel twice?

lyman
12-15-2021, 06:33

maybe it was surveyed/inspected etc both days, and not repaired,

would a bad barrel rifle be in stores , at a unit, or ?? that long?

Zeb
12-15-2021, 12:59
maybe it was surveyed/inspected etc both days, and not repaired,

would a bad barrel rifle be in stores , at a unit, or ?? that long?

It looks like it was only 8 months apart could have sat in the fort armory until they shipped it to get fixed.

Merc
02-13-2022, 08:42
https://www.trapdoorcollector.com/FAQ.html

Here’s an interesting site with FAQs on TDs.

My M1873 has a 1 over 18 stamped on the stock in large numbers (to ID the rack and slot number?) but nothing else to indicate state of origin. Supposedly, the federal govt didn’t mark their TDs in this manner so one would assume it once belonged to the NG or state militia.

Dick Hosmer
02-13-2022, 09:51
Excellent site! I suggest posting (and wrote about 99% of the copy for) those FAQs for Al Frasca about 35 years ago - glad to see they are still of use.