PDA

View Full Version : What advantage does AK have over SKS ? ...

dogtag
03-06-2022, 05:30
apart from magazine capacity ? I'm talking legal which means
the AK is semi as is the SK. I don't own an AK but I have two SKSs.
Russian and Chinese. They strip within seconds and once you've
mastered the clip loading trick, that too takes just seconds.
The SK is more accurate (So I'm told), maybe just a couple of
inches at 100 but a plus is a plus. So, tell me about the AK.

bruce
03-06-2022, 06:09
It is the difference between a semi-auto w/ limited capacity and a select-fire carbine that is ergonomically a better design using high capacity magazines that are much easier to swap for a quick reload and much easier to carry in quantity loaded and ready for use. Accuracy is probably comparable. Comparing a SKS and AK of equal quality/condition using good ammunition and proper marksmanship skills, there is not likely to be any real difference especially given the utilitarian sights employed. Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
03-06-2022, 06:10
firepower, reliability, and it is a more compact platform,

not saying SKS' are not reliable, but the AK has been in operation just about everywhere with a very good rep for reliability and ruggedness,

trade off is accuracy sucks, compared to the SKS or the AR family,

however, as far as accuracy, minute of man will do,

DT, are they Cali Legal?

if you feel the need to own one, there are many many opinions on who makes the best,

JMHO,, but a Valmet is about as good as it gets, in the AK platform world,
the Chinese did a damn good job as well,

dogtag
03-06-2022, 06:38
No, don't want one - in any case I don't shoot anymore. I was always
a BP addict shooting obsolete military BP cartridges. I found them way
more fun that AR types. Plus the fun of having to "roll your own"

Legal in CA ? Is anything ?

Art
03-07-2022, 05:36
firepower, reliability, and it is a more compact platform,

not saying SKS' are not reliable, but the AK has been in operation just about everywhere with a very good rep for reliability and ruggedness,

trade off is accuracy sucks, compared to the SKS or the AR family,

however, as far as accuracy, minute of man will do......

JMHO,, but a Valmet is about as good as it gets, in the AK platform world,
the Chinese did a damn good job as well,

I've found accuracy with an AK to be contingent on which AK you have, whether your AK is sighted in, how good the ammo is and whether or not there is an optic. I've been able to hold the head of an SR silhouette target at 200 yards with a 1.5 mil dot red dot sight. With the marginal iron sights I fall back to "minute of thorax" at that distance. The optic accuracy definitely isn't AR accuracy but since AR Platform rifles are the most accurate military rifles on the planet, but it isn't sloppy either.

The AK accuracy in this video is remarkable, Shooter, rifle, I don't know but it's accuracy I can only aspire to with this platform. It does show that a good shot with a well set up AK can give an adversary problems beyond the usually quoted 300 meters effective range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiq3szgZgjI

There is another video in which he is using, I believe a new Century Arms and was clover leafing at 100 yards and worked out to 500 yards hitting all the way.

lyman
03-07-2022, 05:59
Robski is awesome,

he does vintage sniper vids as well,

century is not highly regarded in the AK world, (the drunken monkey rule applies, according to the AK fanboi scuttlebutt)

- - - Updated - - -

Robski is awesome,

he does vintage sniper vids as well,

century is not highly regarded in the AK world, (the drunken monkey rule applies, according to the AK fanboi scuttlebutt)

Art
03-07-2022, 08:41
I own a Russian SKS. I do shoot it better than an AK despite it having a worse trigger. The longer sight radius does help.

I have a friend who was in the Marines serving in Vietnam early in the war. He said it was the primary weapon of the main force V.C. in '65. According to him they'd wrap the weapon in a blanket and bury it under the floor. When they dug it up it always worked. The main problem I find with the SKS is it is slightly, but just slightly, harder to take apart and put back together than an AK. Mine has proven to be as monotonously reliable as an AK. Of course your mileage may vary. One caveat, they say you can top off the magazine of an SKS by opening the magazine from the bottom and dumping in rounds. There must be a trick to that I don't know because that's the only way I've been able to induce a malfunction in my rifle.

dogtag
03-07-2022, 04:22
I saw a video where they guy dumped rounds in the open magazine - it fired just fine.
Never tried it. Seeing is believing I suppose, but I had my doubts ...

lyman
03-07-2022, 04:34
I had a Chinese in 5.56
pre ban underfolder,

took it to the range one day, it functioned fine,

could not hit the target, so started aiming at the corners of the target and found out it was set about 2 foot low at 100 (guessing norinco ammo may have been on point,, M193 LC was not, or the previous owner dicked with the sights)

moved the sights a bit, and noticed my target frame was drooping on one side

oops,, I put a couple rounds low in the right leg,, breaking it,

sold it not long after, seems there was a panic, and someone wanted it way more than I did,,,

still have a fixed stock Chinese in 556 in the safe,

dryheat
03-07-2022, 10:23
I'm on the opposite page. I've had SKS's and never was crazy about them. My AK's were always more accurate. If you want to take an SKS apart read the directions; Ever take a M1 Garand trigger group apart before releasing the hammer? Kind of the same thing as I recall.
Want to hear the story about the guy that killed himself with an SKS? Suicide (dumbass played a part) wasn't in the plan.

Hal O'Peridol
03-10-2022, 10:19
For me it's the AK over the SKS. The SKS is a fine, tough little carbine, I just prefer the AK, especially getting shot at by a few.

I current'y have a Hungarian factory build, a Polish kit build with original barrel, and a Zastava.

Major Tom
03-11-2022, 07:09
When I was on the ground in 'Nam, the AK out performed our M16 hands down! The AK can be disassembled easier and faster than the M16. You could pull an AK out of the mud, shake it off and blaze away! M16 would stop firing for a number of reasons all which requiered taking it apart. My favorite rifle was the M14. Yeah it was heavy as well as the ammo load, but it would penetrate heavy brush and trees. No one in my company ever complained about the M14, but when issed the the M16 there were lots of complaints.