lyman
03-12-2022, 07:31
sipping some Bourbon tonight,

Woodford Double Oaked,
and Four Roses Small Batch

and you?

dryheat
03-12-2022, 08:21
I'm going to get some Four Roses. It's a little expensive, but it's Old Time. I saw it on the table in a 1950's WWII movie.

fguffey
03-13-2022, 11:53
sipping some Bourbon tonight,
Woodford Double Oaked,
and Four Roses Small Batch
and you?

I am from a family of 12, I had two brothers, when they left the house my dad gave them some advise; he started with their drinking. He suggested they not drink, he said he thought they were silly enough sober.

F. Guffey

Allen
03-13-2022, 12:30
My Dad usually had a bottle of Four Roses or a bottle of Wild Turkey in his workbench drawer in his work shop where he occasionally took a nip.

I saw some Wild Turkey for sale a few years ago and couldn't believe the price--it was much more than Jack Daniels and JD runs about $50-$60 a fifth. (at the time).

They all taste like gasoline to me. I seldom drink and if/when I do it is a mix drink like a whiskey sour. Other liquors like rum and such I could only drink mixed as well (girly drinks).

Back in my college days I could drink like a fish and never get a hangover. Then, in my late 20's overnight it turned into a poison. Sometimes I could only drink one or two fairly stiff drinks, not get a buzz, but get a hangover. I pretty much gave it up then and now a bottle of anything last at least a year and sometimes many years. Good thing there's no expiration dates.

One of my past employers would host company gatherings every so often at the local pub. You pretty much had to attend and order drinks or your name was mud. At that time of my life I already knew of the consequences of consuming alcohol. I found that I could tolerate scotch w/o any ill affects so I would order a scotch and coke. It became a joke with the bartenders because they had never heard of such. Not knowing my name they just referred to me as "scotch and coke". Later I just started ordered Coke and no one knew it was just Coke.

Much the same with beer. In my 20's I could go to the pizza joints and consume an entire pitcher of draft beer, not feel a buzz, and drive home. Probably, mostly because I had food in my stomach. Now days a six pack of Miller Lite will last me for weeks though I still like to have ONE occasionally during a hot summer night with a slice of pizza.

I posted all of this to see if it strikes a familiar bell with anyone else here.

Art
03-13-2022, 02:26
I don't drink distilled alcohol, like Allen I don't like the taste. That not withstanding...I did drink whiskey, usually mixed with coke, in the Army until got totally blitzed on night, threw up all over everything and had a wicked hangover the next day. I didn't touch alcohol again, in any form, for four years. Nowadays, there is whiskey, rum and gin in the house because of company that sometimes asks for it and because the wife cakes drinks an occasional Cuba Libre, usually made with Pusser's rum, or a Gin and Tonic, but that's less than once a week. Once in a great while she'll have "Jack and Coke." We both do enjoy a good Cab or Tempranillo though, and sometimes a good beer, usually Mexican, like Allen a six pack will last us a long time.

Heresy here, we do cook with liquor, the spousal unit makes a wicked good rum cake using that Pusser's and overnight company sometimes gets Gran Marnier French Toast for breakfast. Beer is always an ingredient when we make red beans and rice or chili.

Hmmm, a glass of wine is starting to sound good.

Robert Scott
03-13-2022, 04:46
EAGLE RARE!
Smooth enough to pour over your Wheaties in the morning. Now that is a breakfast of champions!

lyman
03-13-2022, 04:51
EAGLE RARE!
Smooth enough to pour over your Wheaties in the morning. Now that is a breakfast of champions!

that made me chuckle Mr Scott,

how you been?

togor
03-13-2022, 05:02
My Dad usually had a bottle of Four Roses or a bottle of Wild Turkey in his workbench drawer in his work shop where he occasionally took a nip.

I saw some Wild Turkey for sale a few years ago and couldn't believe the price--it was much more than Jack Daniels and JD runs about $50-$60 a fifth. (at the time).

They all taste like gasoline to me. I seldom drink and if/when I do it is a mix drink like a whiskey sour. Other liquors like rum and such I could only drink mixed as well (girly drinks).

Back in my college days I could drink like a fish and never get a hangover. Then, in my late 20's overnight it turned into a poison. Sometimes I could only drink one or two fairly stiff drinks, not get a buzz, but get a hangover. I pretty much gave it up then and now a bottle of anything last at least a year and sometimes many years. Good thing there's no expiration dates.

One of my past employers would host company gatherings every so often at the local pub. You pretty much had to attend and order drinks or your name was mud. At that time of my life I already knew of the consequences of consuming alcohol. I found that I could tolerate scotch w/o any ill affects so I would order a scotch and coke. It became a joke with the bartenders because they had never heard of such. Not knowing my name they just referred to me as "scotch and coke". Later I just started ordered Coke and no one knew it was just Coke.

Much the same with beer. In my 20's I could go to the pizza joints and consume an entire pitcher of draft beer, not feel a buzz, and drive home. Probably, mostly because I had food in my stomach. Now days a six pack of Miller Lite will last me for weeks though I still like to have ONE occasionally during a hot summer night with a slice of pizza.

I posted all of this to see if it strikes a familiar bell with anyone else here.

I agree, a 6-pack of Miller Lite lasts a very long time. :)

The hard stuff disagrees with my stomach, which also has no patience for baby aspirin.

A lot of breweries up here, so pretty much anything one has a taste for is available.

For special occasions we keep bottles of aged Porto around. I hope to toast the end of Putin's rule someday soon.

fguffey
03-14-2022, 09:17
that made me chuckle Mr. Scott,

how you been?

Sorghum and molasses, the best I found was Racoon Mountain and North Georgia at the Atlanta Georgia's farmers market. There are a few old timers that still make it the old way. Both work when poured over cereal. And I do not have to worry about someone asking me to share.

F. Guffey

kj47
03-15-2022, 02:03
Crown royal, Bacardi & Sam Adams boston lager.

Merc
03-15-2022, 05:14
I am a beer drinker and had to give it up in 2008. I developed a nasty case of atrial fib and alcohol was one of the triggers. So, I switched to non-alcoholic beer which was pretty nasty stuff back then. My AF was ablated several years ago so I probably could switch back to the regular beer but I developed a taste for Heineken 00 so there is no pressing reason to switch. Besides, I always got in trouble when I drank the hard stuff. Beer drinkers are gulpers and sipping hard liquor is difficult for us to handle.

lyman
03-16-2022, 11:35
I am a beer drinker and had to give it up in 2008. I developed a nasty case of atrial fib and alcohol was one of the triggers. So, I switched to non-alcoholic beer which was pretty nasty stuff back then. My AF was ablated several years ago so I probably could switch back to the regular beer but I developed a taste for Heineken 00 so there is no pressing reason to switch. Besides, I always got in trouble when I drank the hard stuff. Beer drinkers are gulpers and sipping hard liquor is difficult for us to handle.

interesting take,

I know plenty who have pounded them down over the years, did my share when I was younger,

gotta admit tho, a good Imperial Stout or Belgian , in the proper glass, drank slowly (not really sipping, but not gulping either) is mighty tasty

jjrothWA
03-17-2022, 08:42
Shot glass of Jack Daniels and hi-ball glass of water and cube next to it.

SteveC
03-18-2022, 09:25
If I had to pick one, and only ONE bourbon to drink for the rest of my life, it would be Buffalo Trace. I enjoy many different bourbons, but that is my go-to all-around favorite. I keep a variety at the house for guests and to enjoy with our sons when they come home.

Steve

dryheat
03-18-2022, 10:30
https://www.sazerac.com/our-company/our-story.html#1630

Whole lot of history here.

Sazerac is the parent co. of Buffalo Trace which I happen to think is very good whiskey. Right up there with Irish. The Sazerac cocktail is popular in New Orleans. You use Sazerac Rum (or whiskey) and some other ingredients that I don't really care for. I think Absinthe is Listerine.