PDA

View Full Version : Maxim Gun

Art
03-19-2022, 07:27
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32098/ukrainian-troops-are-still-uning-this-pre-ww-i-era-maxim-machine-gun-in-combat

I saw a picture of a roadblock in an article which clearly showed a Ukrainian soldier manning an M1910 Maxim machine gun. It looked new from factory refurb. So I checked and found the above article.

I noted that the gun works just fine with the current issue non disintegrating steel link belt used in the PK series of general purpose machine guns.

barretcreek
03-19-2022, 08:03
Thanks. Saw that pic by itself a while ago. Read an article about American troops in Korea captured a Gorloff Gatling after a battle, wonder if one of them might show up.

Allen
03-19-2022, 08:27
My Dad use to have one. It was the model with the wooden butt stock that fit on a bipod. It had a conventional type trigger and not the M2 type spade grips. I remember back in 1968 seeing him lug that huge gun into the county court house to get it registered.

He acquired it by trading a Jap Nambu pistol for it. The cartridges for it ( Nambu) were hard to find and 28 cents each so it had to go. The Maxim had been deactivated by removing the breach block. Still, it had to be registered.

Years later we sold the gun for $5,000. The gun had gathered some surface rust due to poor storage plus we didn't want the headache of owning a registered gun.

My brother, a cop at the time, talked with several BATF agents who had interest in the gun due to their snooping of ownership records. We didn't want any connection with them.

lyman
03-21-2022, 06:29
dad had a friend that found one in a basement, with the full sled mount,

not papered then, but he did register it during the amnesty,

probably on that was in the old WW1 memorial years ago and moved when they took all the firearms etc out of it and forgotten

basement was down town in a flood zone, and it had been flooded several times,
nice coat of silt covering it, and when cleaned off, in very good shape, amazingly

jjrothWA
03-25-2022, 06:46
Didn't the Maxim use cloth belts? then the non-disintegrating belts should work.