PDA

View Full Version : What was your first NEW car?

Major Tom
04-07-2022, 01:07
This post expands on a previous post about what was your first car.
My first new car was a 1964 Chevelle SS with 4 speed, 3.70 posi rear end, no power steering or power brakes, exterior color Aqua Blue with black interior and a stout 357 c.i. 365 hp engine that took 3 months to get from the factory to dealer. Price was #3375.00 give or take. Won trophies drag racing and got a good 22 mpg highway. Had problem keeping tires on the rear what with all that street racing back then.
Years after I traded it off, I found out that only 208 of these Chevelles were produced with the 365 HP engine!

togor
04-07-2022, 02:35
1995 Dodge Caravan. Bought off the lot when I entered the Minivan phase of life with 2 kids.

Dan in NH
04-07-2022, 03:40
Similar to my first, 1984 ford F-250. Now I drive a 2012 F-250

oscars
04-07-2022, 04:26
1964 Volvo PV544 which I kept for 31 yr and sold in 1995 in running condition. Every time, I thought about selling, I thought about all we had been through together (military service, grad school, marriage and three kids, house purchase).

JimF
04-07-2022, 05:10
I waited ‘till I was 72 before I bought my first and only, new car! (a 2014 Forester.)

lyman
04-07-2022, 07:42
1993 Saturn SL2,

had to order it,

great car,
loaded, and a 5 spd,
very quick for the time, and handled well, (but not as good my buddies 93 Jetta)
at 52K it developed an electrical gremlin so I traded it on a 97 T100 that as not technically new, it was a demo, which was traded off for a demo model 2000 Tundra I still have

2nd new car was a 2013 Mini Cooper S, Hardtop, that was unfortunately totaled when a cell phone user rear ended me at 65mph ( I was stopped in traffic)

wife's first new car was a 1993 Celica, not a great car,, which was disappointing considering I had a 79 that was a great car

JohnMOhio
04-07-2022, 09:34
1966 Chev. Caprice 2 dr. with 327 engine/4 brl carb. Bucket seats, center council with automatic transmission. Black Vinal top. Wife could not drive a stick shift. Was an excellent vehicle, good on gas mileage, comfort was reasonable. No complaints until it was totaled by a dwi driver. Out the door price including tax and delivery charges was an even $3,200.00. No trade in.

dryheat
04-07-2022, 09:58
This post expands on a previous post about what was your first car.
My first new car was a 1964 Chevelle SS with 4 speed, 3.70 posi rear end, no power steering or power brakes, exterior color Aqua Blue with black interior and a stout 357 c.i. 365 hp engine that took 3 months to get from the factory to dealer. Price was #3375.00 give or take. Won trophies drag racing and got a good 22 mpg highway. Had problem keeping tires on the rear what with all that street racing back then.

Well, I expect, if you had the where with all to order a car like that back then you have been pretty successful.
Being country, I only owned used cars for a long time. Then just a few years ago I decided to buy a new car. My friends congratulated me on my decision.
Ford Edge; Now Ford is a big company. And at the forefront. Right off the bat I had issues. The warranty covered it. More issues. The warranty covered it. I didn't even know I had a platinum warranty. The warranty cost 2K but there was 4K worth of work done. I read that Ford got dinged for the cost of the warranties. Hasn't hurt them all that much it seems.
I was never much of a car guy, but I know some of the talk. GTO, three eighty nine. Dual carb. 4:11 rear end. Had goofy reverb hooked up in the trunk. The rain leaks shorted it out. None of that was mine. What I did do was get some springs off a ? station wagon to bring the rear end up to a respectable position. The story has a sad ending.

kj47
04-08-2022, 11:10
1971 Ford Pinto, 1.6 english engine motor tough as nails. Rest of car not so much, $1960 for base model.

Merc
04-09-2022, 04:44
I would get a new company car every few years between 1979 thru 1998. The first new car that we actually bought was a 2010 Ford Flex that we only kept for a year because the front seats were too uncomfortable. We traded that in on the 2011 Toyota Sienna that we still own.

DMS42
04-12-2022, 06:56
1967 Firebird 326 HO with close ratio 4 speed. I used to tow a friends 1956 Corvette to drag races. One time they let tow cars run through the timer. I had never done that before, but I went through in a little less an 15 sec. and a hair over 100 mph. Back then we had lots of two lane roads around here. I could be behind an 18 wheeler doing about 50, pull out into the left lane and punch it. I would be doing 100 by the time I got level with the front wheel.

In 1972 I bought a new Chevy El Camino of the show room floor. I put over 100k on both. Sold the Firebird when I went back to college and the El Camino a few years later when I got married.

I enjoyed driving both but the Firebird was far away the most fun.

Mark in Ottawa
04-20-2022, 05:20
1971 Datsun 510 with a 1600 cc engine. Two doors and standard steering but automatic transmission. This car was labelled the world's first biodegradable vehicle. It started to rust withing two months of purchase and a few years later, I had to replace both fenders with after-market ones made of fiberglass. I swear that the following anecdote is true. I stopped taking it for car washes after they stopped giving out free car-wash coupons and used to joke that the dirt was holding it together. One day I made a grievous error. I was holding a rag in my hand and on impulse wiped the dirt off the right front fender. The fender immediately split into to parts across the top. The dirt really was holding it together. On the other hand, it only cost me $2,340 (Canadian) and I kept it for ten years before selling it to someone for $230 to be used as a pizza delivery vehicle. It owed me nothing.

togor
04-21-2022, 08:45
1971 Datsun 510 with a 1600 cc engine. Two doors and standard steering but automatic transmission. This car was labelled the world's first biodegradable vehicle. It started to rust withing two months of purchase and a few years later, I had to replace both fenders with after-market ones made of fiberglass. I swear that the following anecdote is true. I stopped taking it for car washes after they stopped giving out free car-wash coupons and used to joke that the dirt was holding it together. One day I made a grievous error. I was holding a rag in my hand and on impulse wiped the dirt off the right front fender. The fender immediately split into to parts across the top. The dirt really was holding it together. On the other hand, it only cost me $2,340 (Canadian) and I kept it for ten years before selling it to someone for $230 to be used as a pizza delivery vehicle. It owed me nothing.

Passed my license exam in a B210. Had to go twice to the DMV because the first time, during the equipment check, the retaining ring for the wiper push/pull knob chose that moment to unthread completely. So no test and the wipers mocking me the whole way home. My dad thought it was funnier than I did, I can tell you that.

Favorite snow car was a Chevette that belonged to a GF's parents. Rear drive, manual. Every snowstorm was a lesson in physics--friction, inertia, momentum, etc. No margin for error!

bruce
04-21-2022, 12:32
First new car was a little 85 Madza GLC Custom L two door hatchback w/ five speed. Drove that little thing 280K miles. Replaced one alternator. Finally replaced the 4th and 5th gear b/c they wore out. Grand total ... $200 and back on the road. Paid $7,800 for it new. Sold it for $500 to some who wanted to go to California. I expect it got them there with no problems. Sincerely. bruce.

RED
04-21-2022, 05:11
1967 Pontiac Sprint LeMans with cast iron OHC slant 6.

lyman
04-21-2022, 06:53
1967 Pontiac Sprint LeMans with cast iron OHC slant 6.

nice car,

my mother had a 68 Lemans, red with black interior,

this was after her second Corvair,

replaced the 68 later with a 73 (that car was ugly)

Former Cav
05-10-2022, 09:17
Came home from Vietnam and was on Convalescent leave from the Hospital.
Bought a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner on Dec 18, 1968. It was Seafoam Torqoise in color. Had the functional ram air hood, "road wheels" (Magnum 500 wheels), red stripe wide oval tires. Bench Seat. Automatic, 383 magnum motor, 3.23 sure grip, optional rear seat armrests (about 7 bucks) and optional rear seat speaker for that big bad AM radio. It was carpeted. Black interior.
It cost me $3151 including tax and plates out the door and they gave me two STUDDED snow tires with it. (I lived in St. Paul, MN back then). It snowed about 18 inches the day after I picked it up. It would go through snow!
It was a lemon (or so I thought) and I traded it off. Hindsight being 20-20, I believe they were setting the points wrong.
I traded it on a coronet R/T (another 69) and it was fine until I had it tuned up and I heard the mechanic say set the points at 28-32 (single point distributer as both cars were automatics). Then that car ran like the "road LIMPER". I got ahold of my fathers motor repair manual and stumbled across the distributer spec page and it said set the points at 30-35. So that is 30 vs 32.5 degrees.
that is 5 degrees on the crank!! I'll bet I got rid of a perfectly good car over the points being set wrong. !
Took it in the shorts too on the trade in and new car price!

remus
05-13-2022, 07:19
First new car was a 1968 VW forest green VW beetle bought in Murray Ky, when the 63 VW died.

Darreld Walton
05-22-2022, 09:26
76 Mustang Mach I, 302 auto. Traded my 72 Bronco against the thing, because I got tired of listening to the wife whine about putting the kids in and out of car seats in the Bronco. Should've traded off the wife....

Allen
05-22-2022, 09:39
76 Mustang Mach I, 302 auto. Traded my 72 Bronco against the thing, because I got tired of listening to the wife whine about putting the kids in and out of car seats in the Bronco. Should've traded off the wife....

I see those old Bronco's (in restored condition) bringing $100K on auctions such as Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Of course most all of our old "treasures" we got rid of would bring big bucks these days.

dryheat
05-23-2022, 01:15

Ha!

dryheat
05-23-2022, 01:22
I see those old Bronco's (in restored condition) bringing $100K on auctions such as Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Of course most all of our old "treasures" we got rid of would bring big bucks these days.
"
Yessire. I left my 66 GTO behind (actually got stolen, but it was my fault). Then I ran into a guy who only restored GTO's. He did "from frame up" work. He was getting fifty thousand for some of them back in the 80's. What's kind of sought after these days? A little four wheel drive Geo. Snowbirds tow them behind their $200K RV's

Critch
05-30-2022, 09:43
1973 Ford F-100, 360 cu. in., 4 speed. Great truck. Drove it for 12 years then sold it to a cousin for darn near what I paid for it.
That's me in the middle. Summer of 1973, Cheyenne, Wy.