PDA

View Full Version : Weighing 22 rimfire.

nf1e
04-27-2022, 07:14
Been a couple of decades since I last did this, but the rimfire competitions require it.
Doing a brick of CMP surplus Remington this morning. Separating cartridges in .1 gn groups which will be boxed by weight. Ammo so far is varying 1.7 gn overall. Whatta Hobby!

bruce
04-27-2022, 09:15
Would using some of the .22 LR ammo by Eley, etc. yield a more consistent result? Sincerely. bruce.

nf1e
04-27-2022, 10:32
Would using some of the .22 LR ammo by Eley, etc. yield a more consistent result? Sincerely. bruce.

Yes it certainly does, but even that needs weighing. Not as much as Lapua and some of the others, but yes. I bought a few cases of this Surplus Remington from the CMP a few years ago. Shoots as good as anything, but does need some attention paid to it.

bruce
04-27-2022, 11:36
Thank you for your response. In the past I have had success with cheap to less expensive bullets for reloading by sorting for base closure and then sorting by weight. Had not thought to do this with bulk .22 LR ammo. Something else to try. Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
04-27-2022, 02:26
do you measure rim thickness too

nf1e
04-27-2022, 02:35
I haven't up to this point. Just ordered a tool today to work with my dial indicators and calipers so it looks like it will be part of the process soon. This old dog is always interested in learning new tricks. Whatta Hobby!

nf1e
05-03-2022, 09:48
According to ELEY, rim thickness relates directly to the amount of priming compound. If rim thickness varies, so the primer varies. Generally accepted cause of those flyers we all are surprised by and hate. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to verify both weight and measures before a range outing. Whatta Hobby!

nf1e
05-06-2022, 07:47
Interesting. Neither just sorting by weight or rim thickness had any significant effect on 10 rnd groups at 50 yds. Now, when both were done groups shrunk by 50%. That is 1" groups of this less than stellar ammo became 1/2" which is acceptable for the shooting I have been doing. The 1" groups with the Remington surplus CMP ammo by itself is acceptable for shooting silhouette course.

Viva America.

bikr7549
05-06-2022, 08:18
Interesting. Neither just sorting by weight or rim thickness had any significant effect on 10 rnd groups at 50 yds. Now, when both were done groups shrunk by 50%. That is 1" groups of this less than stellar ammo became 1/2" which is acceptable for the shooting I have been doing. The 1" groups with the Remington surplus CMP ammo by itself is acceptable for shooting silhouette course.

Viva America.

Very interesting. Which gage are you using to measure the rim thickness? Does teh zero move much with different sorted groups?

Bob

nf1e
05-06-2022, 08:45
Raven Eye gauge. Zero moves a little vertically of coarse, but 1" for that ammo is not unexpected.