PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 03 value

jerrbear
05-10-2022, 04:30
Trying to get a reasonable value to a RI rifle a friend has for sale. RI serial 129xxxx with a 11/42 SA barrel. I know this has been refurbished at some point as the stock has no GG and it has a Remington marked rear sight and base. I know the receiver is one of the extras that RI sent to SA where it was made into a rifle. Barrel should be a SA dated 28 or 29. Rifle is in excellent condition for its age. I saw it but have no pics at this time. Looking for some help here. Thanks

bruce
05-11-2022, 04:48
If the bore is good to excellent, given that it is in nice condition for its age, it'll likely get between 800-1000 from a willing buyer. Not a collector rifle, but outstanding for someone who wants a 03 for shooting, enjoying at the range. Sincerely. bruce.

jerrbear
05-11-2022, 05:40
Thanks Bruce. Wasn't sure what it was worth being the receiver is a RI finished at Springfield.

Kragrifle
05-11-2022, 06:49
There are three variations on the Rock Island/Springfield receiver rifles. Barrel dates need to be 1927 or 1928 and the stock has to be correct with straight grip, grasping grooves and SADAL cartouche with double firing proofs. If all that were correct in nice condition the price would be higher, though I bought one several years ago for just a little more in excellent condition. I was the only bidder.
I would be interested in seeing photos if you decide to sell.
Thanks

jerrbear
05-11-2022, 08:13
A friend has the rifle described above. I am interested in buying it from him and was looking for a fair price to offer him. Thanks for your insight!

John Beard
05-11-2022, 09:26
There are three variations on the Rock Island/Springfield receiver rifles. Barrel dates need to be 1927 or 1928 and the stock has to be correct with straight grip, grasping grooves and SADAL cartouche with double firing proofs.

Actually, there are four variations.

J.B.

jerrbear
05-11-2022, 10:12
What would be the fourth variation?

John Beard
05-11-2022, 01:11
The first variation is a Springfield Armory receiver manufactured from a Rock Island steel billet or forged blank. The last variation is a Rock Island receiver fully machined, marked, serialized, and inspected, but not finished (parkerized).

J.B.