PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Allen
06-27-2022, 09:12
A concept 5000 passenger nuclear powered plane that can stay in the air for months at a time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10957373/Nuclear-powered-flying-hotel-stay-airborne-months-unveiled-outlandish-design.html

lyman
06-28-2022, 04:04
testing the technology ??

Allen
06-28-2022, 05:49
I could see the use for a nuclear fighter so that the pilot could fight and not be concerned about the fuel but I can't see the need to keep 5,000 passengers in the air for months at a time. I don't think I would want to be on that plane. That would relate to an incredible amount of food, waste, sewage and water too.

gpb
06-28-2022, 06:22
Allen said in post #3 "That would relate to an incredible amount of food, waste, sewage and water too."

Here's an appetizing thought. To be feasible it would be necessary to recycle all solid and liquid wastes. Recycling water would be fairly simple. Food will be more difficult. The food would need to be synthetic using recycled solids as the feed stock to grow "food" from bacteria and fungi. I believe Bill Gates is working on synthetic meat that will replace the need for cattle. Perhaps this technology could be used.

Vern Humphrey
06-29-2022, 01:39
We could send up everyone in the current Administration and bring them back on Jan 21st, 2025.

Allen
06-29-2022, 02:32
We could send up everyone in the current Administration and bring them back on Jan 21st, 2025.

Or never.

dryheat
06-29-2022, 10:43
Get ahold of some old Popular Mechanics mags. It's almost a comic book, and some of it almost worked. Weren't we talking about mechanical things? If there wasn't a bicycle with a sail, there should have been.

- - - Updated - - -

I could see the use for a nuclear fighter so that the pilot could fight and not be concerned about the fuel but I can't see the need to keep 5,000 passengers in the air for months at a time. I don't think I would want to be on that plane. That would relate to an incredible amount of food, waste, sewage and water too.

I was on a bus going from Mexico to Arizona. It had been an awful trip to start with. I could have slugged a guy on that bus(that was on the trip south and I really regret not). We've had a couple. My girlfriend had had more. It's 105F. That's outside, but never matter. The bathroom over flowed. Coastal Mexico to Phx. Hot day. The worlds most awful road. Yeah, a month on an airplane. Hey, beats a bus anytime.

dryheat
06-29-2022, 11:05
Allen said in post #3 "That would relate to an incredible amount of food, waste, sewage and water too."

Here's an appetizing thought. To be feasible it would be necessary to recycle all solid and liquid wastes. Recycling water would be fairly simple. Food will be more difficult. The food would need to be synthetic using recycled solids as the feed stock to grow "food" from bacteria and fungi. I believe Bill Gates is working on synthetic meat that will replace the need for cattle. Perhaps this technology could be used.

I think we need a bigger plane.

togor
06-30-2022, 04:27
Would be confined to oceanic use only.

Nobody wants a nuclear accident flying into their airport.