PDA

View Full Version : Irene Ryan

Allen
07-02-2022, 08:55
Better known as "Granny" from "The Beverly Hillbillies", a show we've all familiar with. Born in 1902, she was only in her 60's when the show was on. She didn't age very well. By the time she was in her 30's-40's she was already starting to resemble her "granny" character.

Some say this is a picture of Irene Dunne but looking her up I don't see the same picture. Maybe someone can prove me/them wrong?

Allen
07-02-2022, 09:38
Aunt Bee (Francis Bavier)

Sure, we all get ugly, fat, bald maybe, and old if we're lucky enough but some sure get there sooner.

Allen
07-02-2022, 09:58
Even Kelly McGillis a few short years ago. She was not invited to be Tom Cruises girlfriend this time around.

dryheat
07-02-2022, 10:44
Irene wasn't that good looking even when she was young. Might be a very well done portrait. Aunt Bee ended up being kind of a nut. She never liked Andy Griffith and she had twenty cats.

Art
07-02-2022, 10:47
Even Kelly McGillis a few short years ago. She was not invited to be Tom Cruises girlfriend this time around.

She didn't expect to be asked either. When asked about the chance of her reprising her role she said she was old, fat and had been out of the business too long.

Just one of life's inequities. Old guy actors will play romantic leads opposite women young enough to be their daughters, or sometimes grand daughters. Outside of a very few exceptions like Helen Mirren leading lady romantic roles tend to end when women enter their forties.

Allen
07-02-2022, 11:58
Aunt Bee ended up being kind of a nut. She never liked Andy Griffith

I heard about that. On the Beverly Hillbillies Jane Hathaway and Jed didn't get along. Jane (Nancy Kulp) being a liberal (she even ran for political office in Pennsylvania) and Jed (Buddy Epson) being a conservative.

- - - Updated - - -

Just one of life's inequities. Old guy actors will play romantic leads opposite women young enough to be their daughters, or sometimes grand daughters. Outside of a very few exceptions like Helen Mirren leading lady romantic roles tend to end when women enter their forties.

Yep. The way it is in real life but stretched to the extreme in Hollywood. Not much market for a lot of women.

Tom Cruise is no spring chick himself but Kelly McGillis would have passed for his mother or grandmother in this case. (my 2 cents).

Art
07-02-2022, 01:48
I heard about that. On the Beverly Hillbillies Jane Hathaway and Jed didn't get along. Jane (Nancy Kulp) being a liberal (she even ran for political office in Pennsylvania) and Jed (Buddy Epson) being a conservative.

The story I heard about Nancy Kulp and Buddy Ebsen was that despite their political differences they were friends until Kulp asked Ebsen to endorse her in her congressional run. Ebsen said he just couldn't do that - end of friendship.

Another liberal/conservative Hollywood friend story was Henry Fonda and James Stewart. They were political opposites with Fonda pretty far left and Stewart pretty far right. One day a political discussion between them turned into an argument that turned into a knock down drag out fist fight. They agreed to never discuss politics again and the friendship continued.

- - - Updated - - -

McGillis does, I understand, have a cameo appearance in the new top gun but the footage is from the original movie.

Allen
07-02-2022, 02:42
McGillis does, I understand, have a cameo appearance in the new top gun but the footage is from the original movie.

Good. First I've heard about that.

Mark in Ottawa
07-03-2022, 06:48
I understand that Kelli McGillis was diagnosed about 10 years ago with a serious disease that caused her to stop acting and changed her appearance somewhat. The sad reality is that something similar will happen to most of us

dogtag
07-03-2022, 06:16
I like to remember them the way they were, not the way they are.

dryheat
07-03-2022, 08:31
I like to remember them the way they were, not the way they are.

Ahh, that would be dead.

lyman
07-04-2022, 06:20
Ahh, that would be dead.

I'm not dead yet

barretcreek
07-09-2022, 09:12
I'm not dead yet

Sounds like paraphrasing Warren Zevon.

dryheat
07-09-2022, 10:22
I saw Warren Zevon when he was drinking at a concert and it was white knuckle(well, to me.). When he was near death he was stranch about not doing any drugs. They told him, he had done a good job at staying sober and it was OK to take pain relievers. Lordy, that was how many yrs. ago?

lyman
07-10-2022, 05:14
jeez guys,, Monty Python

Allen
07-12-2022, 07:46
Meet the Flintstones.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/The-Flintstones/

Fred's voice was done by Alan Reed

Wilma's voice was done by Jean Vander Pyl who also did Pebbles.

Betty was done by Bea Benaderet from Petticoat Junction.

Barney was done by Mel Blanc who did nearly all of the Warner Bros cartoon charater voices. On his tombstone it states "That's All Folks".