PDA

View Full Version : Return to Mex Mountain - 2022 elk hunting season

jon_norstog
07-14-2022, 11:44
We used to camp on Mex Mountain, at the western end of Idaho's "Lolo zone" hunting elk above the Lochsa River. It used to be elk central, with game trails running everywhere and a bull staking out every finger ridge, bugling like mad. IF&G census had the herd census up close to 20,000 animals back then. Just blundering around you could likely get your bull. Then came the 1996-7 winterkill, followed by the reintroduction of wolves in the Fish Creek drainage right below the Mex. We stuck it out until 2009, then came back a couple times in the 20-teens. It was our hunting grounds, a really nice roadless area with big old trees and lots of forage, hunt all day and not have to climb/descend much more than a couple thousand feet.

Official herd census numbers are still way down, maybe 20% of the old days. IF&G cut the number of tags they sell in the entire Lolo by over 50%, and can't sell them out, except non-resident. My brothers and I are all in our seventies and I'm looking at 80 coming up. We can see the end .. Paul suggested going back one more time and bought his resident tag there ... i said I would try and get a tag, and I did. I bought a lifetime license when I moved to Oregon, turns out that gives you a chance at unclaimed resident tags, you just have to pay non-resident price. There were over 500 resident tags available as of Tuesday, so I bought one. Might be an elk-free area, but it looks like we will have it to ourselves. There HAS to be an elk or two out there. The season is like 28 days.

Meanwhile I did win the draw for the post-Thanksgiving cow hunt in Oregon's Murderer's Creek unit. Paul came along when I hunted that area year before last and we had tracking snow, found the animals, and came close to getting one. Now we know the area a lot better.

Our middle brother's health is failing but he wants to hunt the first 6-day general elk season in the west Cascades near where he lives. We will probably take a break from the Mex and see if we can move something into his line of sight. This is probably the last hurrah for him.

Paul and I probably have a few more seasons left in us.

jn

jon_norstog
08-08-2022, 08:26
Well, Paul picked up his tag for the December muzzle-loader hunt in the Dworshak Zone. There were plenty of tags available when they opened up the leftover "A" tags for residents and lifetime licensed non-residents. A little research on the Lolo Zone - the state was selling about 1100 "B" tags - the one for the regular, any-weapon, general season, antlered elk hunt. When I bought my tag in July there were still well over 500 available. I think the only people buying tags there are locals ... guess we'll have it to ourselves.

Looks like the west Cascades hunt is out, as Eric got a 60-day eviction notice from the log camp where he's lived the last 20+ years, and has to scramble to move his stuff out .. somewhere. Oregon allows property owners to evict for no reason, like when property changes hands. A developer picked up the logging camp and I guess wants to put up some McMansions ... tough break for a 75 YO who improved the property and always paid his rent on time.

jn

jn

kj47
08-08-2022, 01:26
Best of luck to all of you. Taking the 30 40 with you?

jon_norstog
08-08-2022, 08:58
Best of luck to all of you. Taking the 30 40 with you?

Thanks, KJ! Yeah, the Lolo Zone has always been a Krag hunt, lots of up and down, deadfalls to drag myself over or under, 65 yards being a long shot. For the most part. The Oregon hunt, some of it is Krag country, some of it will require something that can reach out t 250-300 yards. Fr that I've got a 7 mag built on a KAR 98 action.

jn

Vern Humphrey
08-09-2022, 03:25
Yer makin' me what to join you. I'm 80 and my elk rifle is a customized '03 Springfield in .35 Brown-Whelen.

jon_norstog
08-10-2022, 02:10
Yer makin' me what to join you. I'm 80 and my elk rifle is a customized '03 Springfield in .35 Brown-Whelen.

Yeah, Paul has a Turk 98 in .35 Whelen. It's a good round, hits hard and isn't a powder hog like the belted magnums.

jn