PDA

View Full Version : 1903a4 scope mount

jerrbear
07-15-2022, 02:24
Looking for some info on this Redfield mount. I have seen A4's on line and evidently the original mounts are marked Redfield on the right side rear and have also seen them marked the same way with a patent date on the right side front. Also reading some were unmarked. Wondering about the way this is marked. I am sure this is not an original A4 even though it has an original bolt and receiver. Any info would be great.

Johnny P
07-15-2022, 03:58
The 03-A4 shown in the original posting has been through rebuild. On the original 03-A3 rifles the only parts that were Parkerized was the receiver, barrel, and safety with the remainder being blued.

On the 03-A4 the scope base and rings were Parkerized with the screws casehardened.

Notice the difference in the contour of the back of the base and the 03-A4 shown, which has not been through rebuild.

https://i.postimg.cc/MG0DQsxT/03-A4.jpg

jerrbear
07-15-2022, 04:18
Thanks Johnny. I knew this was a rebuild but was questioning the Redfield mount. This has a R in a circle. Wondering if this is a commercial unit or was it ever used in the theater.

Johnny P
07-16-2022, 12:18
Indicating that the rifle had been totally disassembled for rebuild, and base most likely did not come on that rifle or may have been a replacement.

Art
07-22-2022, 05:41
The mount used for telescopic sights on the M1903A4 was the Redfield Junior which is easy to find on line. Leupold bought Redfield a few years back and I believe an identical mount is still in production by Leupold. Current production mounts would need a bit of modification to fit.

Johnny P
07-23-2022, 01:28
If you just need a base they are easy to find, but if you want one to restore a rifle to original configuration you need the one with REDFIELD spelled out as show in the photo I posted. The R in a circle is post WWII.