PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Tale

barretcreek
07-31-2022, 09:25
https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-a-fall-from-denali-north-americas-tallest-peak-2022-7

How many of these characters have you run into, either in similar circumstances or in safer environs? Took a 150 mile trek along the Continental Divide, mostly above treeline, shepherded by a guy who was a Denali guide. His low key approach came back as I read this.

togor
07-31-2022, 04:36
Thanks for posting!

When I was 20 years old, after school was out, I drove to Grand Teton with the GF of a buddy, to get her to her summer job, and then look for some high country time myself. After dropping her off, picked up a hitchhiker....big mistake!

Long story short, we hiked for a few days in RMNP, but kept separate camps as he seriously got on my nerves. How, you ask? By example, one morning I spent a few hours melting water for snow. I came prepared with enough white gas but it takes time. Meanwhile he's out hiking, and comes to my camp...."hey you got any water?". Basically, one of those "we should share our stuff even if I have nothing to share" types.

He didn't want to take the wheel too much either, on account of his DWI suspension. I dropped him off at a buddy's house in Boulder and could not be rid of him fast enough!

Have not thought of that guy in years. Thanks for reminding me? :)

Johnny P
07-31-2022, 08:04
"By example, one morning I spent a few hours melting water for snow."

That's the way slo joe does it too.

lyman
07-31-2022, 08:29

:1948:

dryheat
07-31-2022, 09:38
Dude-when does that end?
Good story Togor. It just takes a couple of experiences of picking up hitchhikers to cure you of that benevolent behavior.

Phenomenal photos (not awesome, or super as is the style). I lived in Alaska and I've seen Mtn. McKinley.

togor
08-01-2022, 03:59

Well laugh or not, anyone who has been in a winter camp knows how tedious it is to get drinking water from snow.

As I recall the guy was from Ohio and this was his first trip out west. His "backpack" was something left over from his scouting days and looked like a M1941 Haversack. Fine for a weekend's combat but not really good kit for the mountains.

But yes to the OP's question, I've run into characters like that in the backcountry. It's a really good link to read.

one shot
08-01-2022, 11:08

I melt snow to make water , now I'm confused

lyman
08-01-2022, 11:15
I melt snow to make water , now I'm confused

but do melt the water to make snow?

JohnMOhio
08-03-2022, 07:17
Remove the word "for" and replace it with "from." His mind had it right, it was his fingers that typed it incorrectly.

Allen
08-03-2022, 07:21
Remove the word "for" and replace it with "from." His mind had it right, it was his fingers that typed it incorrectly.

His mind never has it right.

JohnMOhio
08-03-2022, 07:21
Then switch the position of the words "water" and "snow." Then it makes sense. It would read: I spent a few hours melting snow for water.

dryheat
08-03-2022, 07:55
Every typed lightening for lighting? I have. Or thereabouts.

JohnMOhio
08-07-2022, 06:21
Allen, I think it depends on the subject. For instance, in my case, I am not always right but I find that I am never wrong.

Allen
08-07-2022, 06:30
Allen, I think it depends on the subject. For instance, in my case, I am not always right but I find that I am never wrong.

I thought I made a mistake once but I was mistaken.