PDA

View Full Version : Campground Assault Vehicle?

togor
08-14-2022, 06:43
At a National Forest campground in the UP last week, hear a big diesel rumbling through and see this thing go past. Later caught this photo of it. Could hear the breaks bleed off from across the campground when it finally settled in for the night. To each their own, but at some point....:icon_scratch:

I have no idea who makes it, and the photo doesn't really do it justice. Driver's eyeline is about 8 feet of the ground when mounted up.

barretcreek
08-14-2022, 02:07
Neighbor builds something similar. One at time.

lyman
08-14-2022, 04:34
is that a kenworth emblem on the grille?

some folks buy surplus military vehicles and haulers and turn them into campers too

Major Tom
08-15-2022, 06:02
No need to worry Togor! It's not coming for you! Guy Fieri has one similar only bigger! What are you afraid of?

togor
08-15-2022, 06:15
No need to worry Togor! It's not coming for you! Guy Fieri has one similar only bigger! What are you afraid of?

Nobody said anything about fear.

Campgrounds in general are getting noisier over time. And I don't mean people or kids. Specifically, the gas generators that people lug when there's no RV hookups. Then they sit inside because they don't want to hear the noise. Camping to sit inside the trailer never made sense to me (except when raining) and probably never will.

This CAV, whatever it used for a generator, at least it was pretty quiet.

lyman
08-15-2022, 08:08
Nobody said anything about fear.

Campgrounds in general are getting noisier over time. And I don't mean people or kids. Specifically, the gas generators that people lug when there's no RV hookups. Then they sit inside because they don't want to hear the noise. Camping to sit inside the trailer never made sense to me (except when raining) and probably never will.

This CAV, whatever it used for a generator, at least it was pretty quiet.

that is what they are designed to do,

get some where off grid or out of view and be quiet, (what's the point of offgrid if you are soo loud you attract attention?)

Allen
08-15-2022, 08:42

get some where off grid or out of view and be quiet, (what's the point of offgrid if you are soo loud you attract attention?)

Are you talking about the campgrounds or here?

togor
08-15-2022, 09:06

I suppose. But if I was going to disappear down a logging road I'd do it in a Wrangler. Something this big, the track needs to be that much wider, and the overhanging branches that much lower.

And a Wrangler is easier to obscure from aerial views (satellites and drones really change the game that way).

This said as a Jeep owner who has hit some remote trails.

Military vehicles have tremendous capability, but are also designed to be used with an established support system. A giant-ass rig like this can still be shut down if the wrong $15 sensor goes kaput.

Best practical use for a CAV that I can see, that gives the thing a chance to pay for itself, would be north slope or Canadian artic drilling crews or similar. People who need to venture into the bush, be out for extended periods, and not be hampered by washouts.

SDigger
08-15-2022, 09:16

Roadkingtrax
08-15-2022, 09:17
I like a low profile.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXFyYLVWIAEahzL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

barretcreek
08-15-2022, 03:23
Feds are actually very restrictive of aerial access to places without roads. There's an inholding west of here, within Park Service land which has an airstrip/helo pad. May be challenging grandfathering that.

RED
08-15-2022, 05:31

jon_norstog
08-16-2022, 12:36
That is a pretty neat conversion. I like the cab-over. You can buy those trucks without any box or bed, and I'm guessing that's what happened here.

As for campground noise, I usually camp in the wild. Much quieter and no bright lights.

jn

lyman
08-16-2022, 07:24
https://uberhumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/morning_picdump_3637_640_high_35.jpg

dryheat
08-16-2022, 08:59
I'm a minimalist. OK, I do take two plastic totes.

This is a wonderful spot with a great view. The only reason it isn't more visited is that the brush might scratch the finish on the Renegade.

togor
08-17-2022, 04:26
Have had to deal with 3 tire punctures on family vehicles traveling on vacations in MN in the last 5 years. 3 different vehicles, 3 different drivers, 2 of the flats fatal (to the tire). If I can't change a flat on something, I won't take it anywhere.

dryheat
08-17-2022, 09:32
I've had five flat tires on five different campouts. I finally saw a vid where the camper makes a point to pick up nails with a magnet. People like to burn pallets so there ends up hundreds of nails in camp sites. Not all my flats were campground nails but I know at least two were.