PDA

View Full Version : The gun (parts) business

dryheat
08-29-2022, 05:14
So, I came across a Garand operating rod marked NM. It's a post war model marked 7790722-RA. It's in very good condition. I put it up on Ebay on Saturday. After 12 hrs. I had one "look". I figured something was wrong so I took down the ad and put it up again on Sunday being very careful to put it in the right category. 24 hrs. later I have one "look".
I put up another part a few weeks ago. After a week I had 3 looks. It wasn't a real sexy part so I scratched my head a little and moved on. The NM oprod is a cool part.
This is incredible. I talked to another seller yesterday and he said the same thing. It seems something has happened to the gun market. I know inflation and all that has an impact but how tight are people getting with their money? No funds for toys or has the gun market just died from fear of confiscation? Or people have finally gotten past the Milsurp collecting.
Now I have sold some parts recently. Not a lot of looks either but the guys that wanted them really wanted them.
I am not "in the business". I'm just doing some housekeeping these days. Remember, this isn't the politics forum.

Allen
08-29-2022, 05:45
Well, not everyone has a Garand and a lot of those that do don't shoot them enough to wear out the op rod.

Surplus op rods for Garands are also plentiful so a person can choose between many sellers if they do need one. Garand owners also like to stick with the brand of their rifle. If they own a Winchester, for example, they more than likely want Winchester parts. Some of these parts have become scarce now and collectible. A NM rod is nice to have especially for a shooter grade rifle but they aren't rare.

You didn't mention price. Since many are available a higher than average price will stop people from looking. What would stop me is if there is no indication of the wear or diameter of the piston. If it is worn beyond specs it won't matter if the rod is a NM.

Guns like the Garands, if feel, are mostly appealing to older people, some of which used them in service, or know the guns ability. Many, because of their value now have become closet queens and don't need replacement parts. There will always be a need for parts for these rifles but maybe not as much so as 10-20 years ago.

The younger generation have no place to shoot and may just buy a handgun. Those that buy long guns are buying mostly stuff like the AR's and AK's.

Have you observed other op rod sales on Ebay that are priced lower, in better condition or those that give the mic'd dimensions of the piston? A buyer not having this info is taking a gamble buying a used rod. It may be worse than what they have now.

Johnny P
08-29-2022, 06:35
The NM operating rod is a replacement part. If it had been a Winchester or early SA operating rod it wouldn't have lasted long.

togor
08-29-2022, 11:16
Yes the business these days is making "all-original WW2 rifles." The correctors help the CMP's bottom line even as they make WW2 Garands uncollectible.

Johnny P
08-29-2022, 11:45
Same thing with muscle cars. Someone wants to take a peach orchard muscle car and try to make it new again.

togor
08-29-2022, 01:25
Same thing with muscle cars. Someone wants to take a peach orchard muscle car and try to make it new again.

I would not mind owning a bone stock '71 Dart Swinger with a 318 and a 2-barrel Carter, that nobody messed with. But the days of those coming out of estate sales are long past. In the 70's those Mopars were also "old people's cars" because they cost a bit less than what GM and Ford were asking for Granadas, Skylarks or Pontiacs.

And the magazine articles about the sporterizing of M1903s. Seemed like a good idea at the time, didn't it?

dryheat
08-29-2022, 02:36
It was a sensible thing to do back in the fifties. But then no one was paying attention to what was a really valuable rifle. Some very nice stuff got cut up with the run of the mill. I think Herter's and at least one other outfit did some really nice work on them. Their stuff is collectable. The model 1930 by NRA was pretty well done.

Allen
08-29-2022, 02:50
It was a sensible thing to do back in the fifties. But then no one was paying attention to what was a really valuable rifle. Some very nice stuff got cut up with the run of the mill. I think Herter's and at least one other outfit did some really nice work on them. Their stuff is collectable. The model 1930 by NRA was pretty well done.

There were so many of them and so cheap, even for the currency ration back then. Plus we didn't know our gun rights would ever be in jeopardy. We figured they would always be there if we ever wanted one.

Who knew they would dry up and become so valuable?

togor
08-29-2022, 03:57

Yes what is done is done.

But I have never been a big fan of "corrected" rifles. I have some from CMP that bear that grade, but they were bought more for the price/condition point, at a time when the CMP was long on super-nice rifles from the Greek returns.

Sandpebble
08-29-2022, 04:54
So, I came across a Garand operating rod marked NM. It's a post war model marked 7790722-RA. It's in very good condition. I put it up on Ebay on Saturday. After 12 hrs. I had one "look". I figured something was wrong so I took down the ad and put it up again on Sunday being very careful to put it in the right category. 24 hrs. later I have one "look".
I put up another part a few weeks ago. After a week I had 3 looks. It wasn't a real sexy part so I scratched my head a little and moved on. The NM oprod is a cool part.
This is incredible. I talked to another seller yesterday and he said the same thing. It seems something has happened to the gun market. I know inflation and all that has an impact but how tight are people getting with their money? No funds for toys or has the gun market just died from fear of confiscation? Or people have finally gotten past the Milsurp collecting.
Now I have sold some parts recently. Not a lot of looks either but the guys that wanted them really wanted them.
I am not "in the business". I'm just doing some housekeeping these days. Remember, this isn't the politics forum.

You are too impatient Dry Heat , I've sold things on Ebay since it's inception and one thing I've learned is that in a 7 day auction all the money to be made is in the last 6 hours.

Another lesson is that if you have something worth $ 100 and you start it out at $ 75 ... you might get your $100 . But show some nuts and post it at a starting of $1.00 with no reserve ....it will go $ 125 every time .

Garand stuff is well past its time . All collectibles reach a price point where collectors start collecting something more affordable . Hummels were worth a fortune at one time, hard to give them away now.

20 years ago and more the Garand forum here had hundreds of new postings a day ..... interest has passed with the high cost

togor
08-29-2022, 06:49
We're 25 years on from SPR now. 20 years from BoB.

lyman
08-29-2022, 07:02
interesting thoughts,

I've been moving some Garand parts on Ebay,

and 1903 parts,

sales have been steady, but not brisk, one might say on the Garand parts

I have a store, so I list everything at a fair BIN price and let it sit,

usually if it sells the first day, it was priced to low, or it was what someone had a search for

if it sets a month, then it is out of style or favor, or too high,

so I adjust,

Johnny P
08-29-2022, 07:11
The problem with guns is that nothing made in the last 60 years is worth collecting. Colt Single Action Army collecting has been going on for at least the last 75 years and it hotter than ever. Original condition M1 Rifles are still going up. Nice original Colt Model 1911, 1911A1, and pre-WW2 Government Models are still going up.

Flash in the pan collecting like Hummels and Cabbage Patch Dolls never last. Truck loads of new ones could be turned out at a moments notice.

lyman
08-29-2022, 07:20
The problem with guns is that nothing made in the last 60 years is worth collecting. Colt Single Action Army collecting has been going on for at least the last 75 years and it hotter than ever. Original condition M1 Rifles are still going up. Nice original Colt Model 1911, 1911A1, and pre-WW2 Government Models are still going up.

Flash in the pan collecting like Hummels and Cabbage Patch Dolls never last. Truck loads of new ones could be turned out at a moments notice.

retro AR parts continue to rise,
some have hit damn near stupid prices

Vintage Snake guns also still bring good cash, the modern stuff, not so much

dogtag
08-31-2022, 03:24
The whole gun thing is weird. Muzzle loaders, cap'n'balls are still out of stock
at Midsouth. Even bullet molds.
Things are easing, but slowly. I found it hard picturing hoards of new gun buyers
casting bullets, so what was going on I've no idea.

Johnny P
09-01-2022, 07:45
retro AR parts continue to rise,
some have hit damn near stupid prices

Vintage Snake guns also still bring good cash, the modern stuff, not so much

You can count on one hand the guns made in the last 50 years that are now collectible. I have a 1964 three digit serial number AR that has certainly gone up in price, and for a while there was Python fever, but except for the early Pythons from 1955/60, have cooled off somewhat when there seemed to be an endless supply of Pythons still in the original box.

High condition pre-WWII Colt Government Models, especially the National Match and Super Match continue to bring crazy prices.

togor
09-01-2022, 08:58
There are niches. Pre-64 model 70's. Belgian Auto-5's. S&W .357s.

I suppose those fall outside of your 50-year window, but then again it sometimes takes time for a gun to become collectable. Not every gun becomes an instant classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes there are surprises too in the collectible world. It turns out that vintage cast iron cookware is kind of a big deal now. That was definitely not true in the non-stick era.

lyman
09-01-2022, 09:38
You can count on one hand the guns made in the last 50 years that are now collectible. I have a 1964 three digit serial number AR that has certainly gone up in price, and for a while there was Python fever, but except for the early Pythons from 1955/60, have cooled off somewhat when there seemed to be an endless supply of Pythons still in the original box.

High condition pre-WWII Colt Government Models, especially the National Match and Super Match continue to bring crazy prices.

I agree

esp on the Colt Gov't models,

I have also noticed,,beyond the pre ban sales to ban states, that some of the late 70's, early 80's ""assault"" or pre tacticool stuff is appreciating a bit,

and of course, the pre 89 ban stuff , esp the euro stuff, had not really flattened out yet,

but as togor said, that is a small niche market

Johnny P
09-01-2022, 12:04
And then there are guns that are 100 years old that still haven't become really collectible. Also, in the collectibles condition drives the price. Guns that aren't particularly collectible in near new condition bring good prices.

Model 12 Winchesters were in high demand for several years after the were discontinued, but collector interest fell off for most models. A Belgian Browning A5 has to be in high condition to bring collector money now, where at one time any condition did't set on a store shelf for very long.

Lugers and P.38's have also cooled off somewhat. High condition Colt New Service revolvers as well as most of the pre WW2 Colt DA revolvers in high condition are hot.

lyman
09-01-2022, 12:31
the Mod 12 market died with all the old guys that owned them 10 yrs ago, ,

Smallbore is in a rut now too, those old collectible Winchesters and High Standards and Colts have leveled out and even dropped a bit,

togor
09-01-2022, 12:36
Lugers are a snake pit. The time to start collecting those is 50 years ago (as they start leaving GI closets). P-38s are slow but steady.

Take this auction for example. I picked up a clean AC43 "a" block about 5 years ago, IIRC for $800, definitely a retail price then. This "l" block, decent but not as clean, just went for $1300 with no magazine.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943135764

Johnny P
09-01-2022, 04:42
The P.38 has always been the ugly stepchild to the Luger. Unlike the Luger, not enough variations to keep your interest for very long.

lyman
09-01-2022, 04:51
Lugers are a snake pit. The time to start collecting those is 50 years ago (as they start leaving GI closets). P-38s are slow but steady.

Take this auction for example. I picked up a clean AC43 "a" block about 5 years ago, IIRC for $800, definitely a retail price then. This "l" block, decent but not as clean, just went for $1300 with no magazine.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943135764

funny comment about Lugers

I knew a guy, I say knew, cause I just found out he passed last week, that had one of the primo Luger collections on the East Coast,
he told my brother and I last year that when he passed, RIA was supposed to back up to the front door and load everything up and cut a check to the widow,

and not just Luger's
he had a very nice collection of about everything German for WW2, including very nice and rare P 38's and some nice 1911's

he was still buying up till the end,
always on the hunt for a nicer piece that what he had or a spare, and we bought what he did not want,

dryheat
09-01-2022, 05:43
Lugars. They were the coolest pistol ever. All the really bad guys in old time movies had them. So I finally bought one from a buddy for $700. Bubba had done some sanding on it but it still worked. I took it out to the range and immediately hated it. I sold it right back to my buddy (we did this). Then I picked up a P-38. Not one of the rare ones. $300. I sold it for six but to this day I miss that pistol.

I just sold a Lugar for a neighbor. It was a real bringback by her dad. Of course no paperwork, but no import marks either. It went for $1800. It wasn't the nicest one on GB.

twelve smelve. The model 97 gave you a tingle racking the action.

lyman
09-01-2022, 06:58
Lugars. They were the coolest pistol ever. All the really bad guys in old time movies had them. So I finally bought one from a buddy for $700. Bubba had done some sanding on it but it still worked. I took it out to the range and immediately hated it. I sold it right back to my buddy (we did this). Then I picked up a P-38. Not one of the rare ones. $300. I sold it for six but to this day I miss that pistol.

I just sold a Lugar for a neighbor. It was a real bringback by her dad. Of course no paperwork, but no import marks either. It went for $1800. It wasn't the nicest one on GB.

twelve smelve. The model 97 gave you a tingle racking the action.

never cared for the Luger or P38 either,

do like a Colt,,,

togor
09-02-2022, 06:53
Never got burned on Lugers because I knew I came along too late to gain knowledge of them in a cost-affordable way.

P.38s are much more plentiful, and easier to sort out. To get burned on a P.38 deal, a person has to almost work at it. But it's true that one doesn't need to collect many to pretty much see it all.

Johnny P
09-02-2022, 07:15
Four or five P.38's and you have a complete collection. Luger variations are virtually endless.

Not counting commercial production, just military production of Lugers is almost 1 million more than P.38 production.

togor
09-02-2022, 12:08
Oh I would have enjoyed a Luger or two, but as I said, late to the party. Not the money per se of current prices, but if one doesn't know a market, including the fakes, one should NOT throw big money at it!

togor
09-02-2022, 12:14
Years ago Dan's Ammo got in a shipment of Walther P-1s--Bundeswehr Aluminum frame P.38s. I picked up a 1980 built, zero miles on it, to be my "P.38 shooter". No need to test the bakelite grips on the wartime models.

Some might have considered the P.1 collectable, and it's hardly worthless, but yes just another postwar milsurp like the many Tokarevs out there. Shoot & enjoy.

I think of RC K98ks in the same way. To be shot and enjoyed so the true bringbacks have the easy life.

Hal O'Peridol
09-04-2022, 04:25
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice matching late 1944 byf K98k. Not cheap, but a decent price and not messed with. I have a couple other K98ks that were bringbacks, but their owners turned them into deer riffles.

togor
09-04-2022, 05:28
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice matching late 1944 byf K98k. Not cheap, but a decent price and not messed with. I have a couple other K98ks that were bringbacks, but their owners turned them into deer riffles.

Nice! There are a lot of Oberndorf rifles out there, but that makes them easier to authenticate from prior experience. And yes most sellers by now know what they have.

dryheat
09-05-2022, 12:28
I've had Obendorf Swedes. The 1899's and 1900's seemed a little more accurate.

dryheat
09-05-2022, 11:53
So the final tally was: NM oprod got 34 looks 11 watchers and one bid. It sold for $95. I'm a little disappointed. I was sure it would go higher. I've been wrong before.

togor
09-05-2022, 07:08
So the final tally was: NM oprod got 34 looks 11 watchers and one bid. It sold for $95. I'm a little disappointed. I was sure it would go higher. I've been wrong before.

How much wear did it have?

- - - Updated - - -

I have 3 op rods right now that need work to be serviceable. Two -9s that have worn lugs and chromed-over pistons, and a post war SA with a chipped cam slot. All can be repaired but the cost of repairs right now....just tying up money that I may never see.

lyman
09-05-2022, 07:24
and that is the kicker

does the repair cost help the resale value, or should you just toss or sell as is

I have send several scopes to ironsight for repair,
they do great work, but I only send the ones back that I can make money one when I resell them,

spending $95 and shipping to fix a $50 scope is not gonna cut it,

but for a $150+ scope, then it becomes more palatable,

togor
09-06-2022, 06:09
I sent two bringback scopes to Don Miller to get unfogged. Not cheap, and kind of rolling the dice, especially on a ZF-4, but he really did a good job. Did the repair pay for itself in increased scope value? Maybe not but at least as long as I own them I get a clear sight picture.

dryheat
09-06-2022, 06:39
This oprod I doubt had ever fired a round. It has a couple of wear spots from being pulled a few times. I agree on shipping things out to be repaired. It often doesn't pay. Sorry the picture is so big.

togor
09-06-2022, 06:42
Shoot I'd have given you $100 for it! :)

lyman
09-06-2022, 06:46
good example of what a replacement part vs original goes for,

RCS
09-06-2022, 07:23
About a year ago I sold a nice early SA revision 0 operating rod with the
relief cut for $588.00 (including shipping)

Not much collector interest but the guy that bought it had a new made gas
trap kit and wanted an early op rod with the relief cut.

Johnny P
09-07-2022, 05:18
Not a -0, but an uncut -1 with both op-rod and compensating Keystone springs.

https://i.postimg.cc/6Q8psT19/Opr-1.jpg

Robert Scott
09-07-2022, 06:37
These pictures of the tac 0 and tac 1 SA op rods are incredible. This is what made me go to this forum 18 years ago. Keep 'em coming!

lyman
09-07-2022, 07:29
These pictures of the tac 0 and tac 1 SA op rods are incredible. This is what made me go to this forum 18 years ago. Keep 'em coming!

you going to the Hampton Show this weekend?

Robert Scott
09-07-2022, 07:42
I just heard about the Hampton show this morning. I might go Saturday but not sure. There's a car show at Todd stadium in Newport News Sunday (2 miles from my house) and I would like to take my 50s Packard there.

If you're going to the gun show I'll pm my phone number and try to hook up....that show ain't what it used to be.....