PDA

View Full Version : Everything You Wanted To Know About The J58 Engine

togor
08-30-2022, 04:52
Retired test engineer dishes on the SR-71 engine.

https://youtu.be/MJrXUh0eZjw

dryheat
08-31-2022, 02:58
What a great informative presentation. What I know about jet engines is, don't walk behind them even if they are just in idle. Music to a gearheads ear.

togor
08-31-2022, 04:16
Hard to believe that the SR-71 originated as an interceptor concept, in the USAF's days of "faster, higher, further".

The Soviets had their MiG-25, which was Mach 2.5+ and with huge wings that suggested a highly maneuverable fighter, which scared the bejeezus out of the West, until they finally got a chance to weigh one.

Then there was this new airplane, "Aurora", that was rumored to replace the SR-71, but then again maybe not. Or maybe they just built a couple of them and officially it doesn't exist.

dryheat
08-31-2022, 05:09
As I recall, the captured MiG was a surprise to the US. When they put a magnet up to it, it went "clunk". They were still using round gauges. The migs and our F-14/15 had a similar look. We had a pilot visit our plant and give a talk about how the ejection seat we contributed to saved his life when the long snoot of his plane snapped off. The F-16 kind of has that, but I think they're better at it now.
The British Vulcan (with it's huge wings) never impressed me looks wise. It looked like flying plywood. But so did the Concorde a little. Those aren't fighters. The SR-71 was easy on the eyes. I saw one at the Tucson Museum and honestly I was a little disappointed. I expected it to be bigger.

Ltdave
08-31-2022, 02:15
A-12, YF-12, SR-71. the Blackbirds...

Kelly Johnson was born in Ishpeming Mi in the upper peninsula and graduated from Flint High School and then University of Michigan. director of Lockheed's Skunk Works. he was also the brainchild behind the P-38, F-104, U-2, P-80, C-130, F-117 and a handful of Electras and all of the Constellations.

i was at Beale AFB and worked on mission related support items for the SR-71 and U-2 platforms. i was there when it was retired...50656

barretcreek
09-01-2022, 06:43
Mustang worked at the hardware store was at (Kadena?) when a pilot took off on his last flight before retiring. Randy said the guy was 'screw the regs' and didn't climb until after he'd flown low and fast (very) over the Russian 'trawler' parked at the end of the runway.

Major Tom
09-05-2022, 06:05
As I was returning home from 'Nam, our plane landed on Okinawa to fuel up. As we stood in an open air upper platform, we saw this big plane taking off. Everyone with a camera took photos of it. Then some little Okinawan officer type came running over and demanded we remove our camera film. Turned out the pilot of our plane told us we had photographed a SR-71. I still have my photo.

lyman
09-05-2022, 06:56
we had a small aviation museum here in RVA at RIC,
at one time, it had a Blackbird on a static display for a few years, then it went away,

basically a frame , no engines, no interior (Windows were grayed out)

Allen
09-05-2022, 07:38
There's an A-12 parked outside at the Space and Rocket Center at Huntsville, AL that you can walk around.

There's another A-12 parked inside the USS Alabama Memorial Park Museum at Mobile, AL.

I believe the last picture is at the USS Alabama Park while the museum is being repaired from hurricane damage. The USS Drum submarine is shown in the background.

Ltdave
09-06-2022, 05:35
the last remaining SR-71B (956) is in kalamazoo michigan at the Air Zoo. they just had a 'spy-posium' there last week with crew, squadron personnel, lockheed peeps and maintainers...

Allen
09-06-2022, 07:09
Do any still fly?

dryheat
09-06-2022, 11:22
I believe some are still(were) used for some experimental stuff.
I heard that right after they got discontinued.
Really, you have to wonder who could come up with the money and talent to keep them flying in the private sector.
Is anyone painting Mona Lisa's anymore?

Ltdave
09-07-2022, 06:16
Do any still fly?

No

I believe some are still(were) used for some experimental stuff.
I heard that right after they got discontinued.
Really, you have to wonder who could come up with the money and talent to keep them flying in the private sector.
Is anyone painting Mona Lisa's anymore?

after the initial retirement in 1990 (see my Media badge in a post above) 3 were on loan to NASA for conducting high altitude/high speed experimentation. Dr Marta Bohn-Meyer became the first and only woman to pilot the SR-71. around 1994 Clinton authorized the 3 planes in SoCal under 'control' of NASA to be funded and restored to mission status. the 9th Reconnaissance Wing (that flew them via the 1st Strategic Reconnaissance Wing) in NorCal operated a detachment down south instead of trying to reconstitute the squadron at Beale AFB. Clinton then killed them in 1997 using line-item veto in the budget.

in 1974 (?) the Air Force ordered all of the tooling and fixtures and jigs for the airframe destroyed so there were no more spare parts being sourced, and i believe it was around 2010 that all remaining stocks of the 'starter fluid' if you will, Tri-Ethyl Borane were destroyed. it was obviously highly flammable and it was toxic as well TEB was needed to ignite the JP-7 fuel because the fuel had such a high flash point that an open flame would not ignite it. TEB was carried in a dewar on board to be used in the event of a flame out, the crew would have 16 attempts to relight, each 'shot' of TEB being around 1 fl oz. TEB ignited in plain air.

my wing commander Col Richard Graham (ret) worked the halls of the pentagon and congress pushing for continued use. there were plans for a real-time data down link from the SR-71 to tactical theaters but it hadnt been deployed yet. Allegedly Gen Schwartzkopf asked during a briefing in DS/DS, "dont we have the SR-71 that can get us the information we need, and not wait for the U-2, to get back and process its intel?" i wasnt there so i dont know what the General said, if HE was even there. again during Bosnia, the commanders wanted to know if materials were moving or just being stockpiled and the good ol' dependable/reliable satellite imagery didnt give a 'look back' in time.

quoted by columnist Rowland Evans, Air Force Chief of Staff, Larry Welch said, ‘The Blackbird can’t fire a gun and doesn’t carry a bomb, and I don’t want it.’ Welch had ben CincSAC and wanted SR-refurbishment funds to go towards the B-2 bomber's development. he also spread the lie that he could fly and entire wing of F-15s (typically 15-20) for what it cost to fly an SR-71 mission. he claimed in certain congressional offices and before congress with then CincSAC Gen John Chain that it was $400 million a year to operate the program and needed to go away. after the fact it was found the true cost was only around $260 million

Allen
09-07-2022, 06:23
Thanks for the reply and info Dave.

togor
09-08-2022, 03:44
Stories of Pentagon intrigue are always interesting. It's a wonder that any of our weapons work at all, but clearly (from Ukraine proving ground test results), at least some do.

Ltdave
09-08-2022, 06:52
Thanks for the reply and info Dave.

youre welcome. we sat in our graphics shop or photo lab (i did both) and debated the situation and the 'solution' and whether or not we had an confidence in Welch and Chain (i was out of SAC at that time, all of their AV assets transferred to MAC and Aerospace Audio-Visual Squadron aka AVVS -avis-) for many a day...

Allen
09-08-2022, 08:00
Things I have heard or read but can't verify is the first ones were painted white or not painted.

Also, the Mach 3.3 top speed is determined by the max G-force a pilot can tolerate w/o passing out. Actual top speed is unknown or classified. Speed was also limited by heat and static on the air frame along with rivets coming loose and so forth.

The SR-72 is an unmanned aircraft so the G-force is not a human issue and is estimated to be good for Mach 6.0.

Then there's the TR-3B flying triangle from the 1980's that we're not suppose to know about.

Interesting detailed article here. A lot of info backs up what Dave has mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

Ltdave
09-10-2022, 07:31
never heard about them being painted white. the photo above is of a YF-12 interceptor version that was considered. it is evidences by the nose section with the round cross section allowing the chine to be modified for the Hughes something/something 18 radar. it was a 2-seat version of the A-12. the A-12s were left in natural titanium bare metal. SR-71s are a different plane than the A-12/YF-12. the SRs were painted in 'black' although the actual color chip if you will, was Indigo Blue. it had micro-beads of iron in the mix to help absorb radar energy and give it a bit of stealth before the term was put into play with the F-117

interesting note about the titanium. first, they had to have special tools/drills (100% certified cadmium free) for working on it because even a tiny bit of contamination from the dissimilar metal would cause corrosion.

second, there wasnt anywhere near enough titanium in the US to build the planes (whose framework as well as skin was Ti). the CIA created a couple of black-op shell companies to purchase titanium from....the USSR.

Allen
09-10-2022, 08:00
there wasnt anywhere near enough titanium in the US to build the planes (whose framework as well as skin was Ti). the CIA created a couple of black-op shell companies to purchase titanium from....the USSR.

This was something the gov't should have kept secret. You never know when we might have a need for titanium again. Russia will always be skeptical of selling titanium to anyone again.