PDA

View Full Version : Odd named towns

RED
09-04-2022, 11:51
Every State has them that makes you wonder how in the world the names became the name of a place or town.

Arkansas has a Toad Suck and so does KY. There is a Hoot in TX and a Holler in TN.

Hold on to your beer mug, but In my opinion the funniest of all is Intercourse, PA.

According to Wikipedia:

Census-designated place in Pennsylvania
OverviewThings to doHotelsRestaurants

Description
Intercourse is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Leacock Township, Lancaster County, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, 10 miles east of Lancaster on Pennsylvania Route 340. As of the 2020 census, the population was 1,494, up from 1,274 at the previous census. Wikipedia

You cannot make stuff like this up.

bruce
09-04-2022, 12:03
Between, Georgia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between,_Georgia#Demographics Sincerely. bruce.

Vern Humphrey
09-04-2022, 12:28
"Toad Suck" means "Frog Swamp" -- any infantryman who has ever waded a few miles through a swamp will know why swamps are sometimes called "sucks."

My favorite is Rooster Poot, Arkansas.

dogtag
09-04-2022, 03:13
Every State has them that makes you wonder how in the world the names became the name of a place or town.

Arkansas has a Toad Suck and so does KY. There is a Hoot in TX and a Holler in TN.

Hold on to your beer mug, but In my opinion the funniest of all is Intercourse, PA.

According to Wikipedia:

Census-designated place in Pennsylvania
OverviewThings to doHotelsRestaurants

Description
Intercourse is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Leacock Township, Lancaster County, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, 10 miles east of Lancaster on Pennsylvania Route 340. As of the 2020 census, the population was 1,494, up from 1,274 at the previous census. Wikipedia

You cannot make stuff like this up.

It also means interaction between people, two or more (talk or something more interesting)

Allen
09-04-2022, 03:25
There is a Hell Michigan, Hot Coffee MS, and a small village in Austria named F**king.

dryheat
09-05-2022, 12:45
Arizona had two hiways (95/96?) that connected. They both came from the north so it was a Y going south. The ADOT (or whatever) rule was it had to consist of at least three letters. So, the community got stuck with WHY, AZ. Near the vicinity of Ajo, AZ. Not physically but culturally.

Johnny P
09-05-2022, 07:04
Arkansas also has a Blue Ball.

pcox
09-05-2022, 07:52
Cut-n-Shoot Texas

Mark in Ottawa
09-09-2022, 06:07
The Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador may have those beat. One town is called Dildo (see https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/trip-ideas/travel-stories/theres-no-place-like-dildo) and another town is / was known as Sheshatxxxx (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheshatshiu) although they now usually replace the last letter with a letter U

jaie5070
09-14-2022, 06:24
Great little song on you-tube, about the town.

Allen
09-14-2022, 07:02
Hooterville, a fictional agricultural community from the Petticoat Junction and Green Acres TV programs. This was before the days of "Hooters". I wonder if there was some implied reference here regarding the lovely 3 girls who starred at the Shady Rest Hotel. It can be assumed that Bug Tussle was nearby from all the replies made about it.

Art
09-14-2022, 08:35
Among other odd named Texas towns are Mule Shoe, Cut and Shoot, Dime Box and Sugar Land. I'm sure there are a lot more, big place, lots of little towns.

Ooops forgot Bug Tussel, yes there is such a place.

barretcreek
09-14-2022, 04:01
There is (was?) a Mayberry in Maryland, but it was too small for the Andy Griffith show to visit and film there.

Art
09-14-2022, 06:27
There is (was?) a Mayberry in Maryland, but it was too small for the Andy Griffith show to visit and film there.

There are four Mayberrys in the United States including the one in Maryland and one in Illinois. None are big enough to be incorporated.

fguffey
09-14-2022, 09:12
Tennessee has a town named Buck Snart; Kentucky has a town named Salt Lick: Texas has a creek named Hollering Woman Creek: Virginia has a state park named Hungry Mother State Park. There is a poem named 'In Love with American names', the author mentioned 'Deadwood, he talks about burying his body parts allover England and then finishes with a request; bury my heart in Wounded Knee. Vincent Benet.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=cf67724f8a5dfc44JmltdHM9MTY2MzExMzYwMCZpZ3VpZD0y YTU1ZGIzYS05YWRhLTY0ZmQtMDAzNi1jYTAyOWJmZjY1OWImaW 5zaWQ9NTE3OA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2a55db3a-9ada-64fd-0036-ca029bff659b&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9hbGxwb2V0cnkuY29tL0FtZXJpY2FuLU5hbW Vz&ntb=1

F. Guffey

dryheat
09-15-2022, 12:07
He buried his body parts all over England? That would be remarkable. If he's asking someone else to do it, that's still asking a lot. So, where was the series filmed?
Pretty good poem fguffy. I was derogatory and very critical of poetry as a kid. I like that one somewhat.
Bury my heart [at] wounded knee is a book recommended to me but I have never read it.
How is butte not butt? Folks have the courtesy to say beuoot.

Allen
09-15-2022, 05:55
He buried his body parts all over England? That would be remarkable.

Reminds me of the blonde holding the pistol to her head claiming she was going to kill herself. Her boyfriend started laughing and she said "don't get cocky, you're next".

Johnny P
09-15-2022, 07:09
There is a Buck Snort community in Arkansas, as well as a Smackover.

fguffey
09-15-2022, 11:26
I used the part about a little more sleep on another forum, I said something about my cases stretching between the shoulder and case head when firing, I finished with 'great, that means more room for powder', I doubt anyone understood.

F. Guffey

Vern Humphrey
09-17-2022, 02:31
Aside from Rooster Poot, Arkansas has

Goobertown
Toad Suck
Nail
Flippin
Smackover
Booger Hollow
Nimrod
Bald Knob
War Eagle
Possum Grape
Weiner
Evening Shade
Snowball
Ben Hur
Bull Shoals
Oil Trough
Oark
Greasy Corner
Fifty-Six
Romance
Gassville
Yellville

Allen
09-17-2022, 05:32
Yep. Every state has them. Typing in odd named towns in Alabama I came up with these. Some I've actually heard of.

Beehive
Rainbow City
Active
Smelley
Burnt Corn
Coal Fire
Five Forks
Cuba
Normal
Screamer
Lick Skillet
Brilliant
Needmore
Slicklizzard
Gobblers Crossing
Possum Trot
Frog Eye
Intercourse
Climax
Seman
Gamble
Eclectic
Chigger Hill
Boar Tush
Shorter
Leggtown
Scratch Ankle
Smut Eye
Zip City
Scarce Grease

Vern Humphrey
09-17-2022, 05:53
Some of these make sense when you look into them. Many states have towns named "Normal." Back in the day, school (especially in rural areas) only went to the 8th grade. Prospective teachers were not required to have college degrees -- they attended the "Normal" school, a school where they were all brought to the standard or norm.

lyman
09-17-2022, 06:38
Yep. Every state has them. Typing in odd named towns in Alabama I came up with these. Some I've actually heard of.

Beehive
Rainbow City
Active
Smelley
Burnt Corn
Coal Fire
Five Forks
Cuba
Normal
Screamer
Lick Skillet
Brilliant
Needmore
Slicklizzard
Gobblers Crossing
Possum Trot
Frog Eye
Intercourse
Climax
Seman
Gamble
Eclectic
Chigger Hill
Boar Tush
Shorter
Leggtown
Scratch Ankle
Smut Eye
Zip City
Scarce Grease

not a town, but we had a Five Forks that was intersected and moved (it was a 5 way intersection, ) when they built a highway

I leave in Beach, just a bit off Beach road, but there is no beach nearby,

Richmond City has several hills, like Rome, and they all have names,
Church Hill is where St Johns is (of Patrick Henry fame)
Oregon Hill was a blue collar area until VCU took it over, and also the home of Hollywood Cemetery, (couple presidents and a lot of Confederates buried there)

there is a Bumpass near by, locals pronounce it Bum Puss, but for giggles, and to make the come here's look funny, some call it Bump Ass,

funny sometimes to talk to people not from here that butcher the pronunciation of the local areas,

county that surround RVA to the north of the James, is Henrico, pronounced Hen Rye Co, none locals say Hen Ree Co, like Rico,

Midlothian, I know there are some Midlothians in other states but it seems to kick some folks butts that try to pronounce it,

Mid Low thee Inn, it how we say it ,

eta years ago one of the roads in this area was a 2 lane country type, and made a slight right before it dead ended,
there was a small section with a few house trailers, then later they opened it up and built a few side streets and houses,

for what ever reason, you would find a dead possum in the same curve every now and again, like weekly

so some one hung a sign on a light line pole that said Possum Crossing, and that , for those of us that have been here a long time, still call it that,

another intersection maybe 4 miles or so from where 5 forks was , is called Frosty's corner, no one I know knows why

Allen
09-17-2022, 07:59
Aside from Rooster Poot, Arkansas

Often these tiny area's, unincorporated communities, and towns become larger incorporated municipalities. Then as they grow gaining political and financial importance they change the name to sound more inspiring.

Can you imagine a place like Rooster Poot, AR still being called Rooster Poot after growing into a city like the picture below?

Art
09-17-2022, 08:14
Ya' know, I can't believe we've missed one of the all time odd named towns.

Truth or Consequences New Mexico.

Vern Humphrey
09-18-2022, 07:09
Ya' know, I can't believe we've missed one of the all time odd named towns.

Truth or Consequences New Mexico.

Or Peculiar, Missouri.

Or Navina, Oklahoma. My Aunt Ethel's father established a store there. He applied to be designated a post office, and named the town "Berg" after himself. The Post Office accepted his application, but rejected the name -- there was already a Berg in Oklahoma. Aunt Ethel was just a girl then, and she helped out in the store. In the family she went by her middle name, Alvina. But there was already an Alvina in Oklahoma.

When she was little, she couldn't pronounce "Alvina" and called herself "Navina." And Navina, Oklahoma is still there.

Allen
09-18-2022, 07:16
Or Peculiar, Missouri.

Or Navina, Oklahoma. My Aunt Ethel's father established a store there. He applied to be designated a post office, and named the town "Berg" after himself. The Post Office accepted his application, but rejected the name -- there was already a Berg in Oklahoma. Aunt Ethel was just a girl then, and she helped out in the store. In the family she went by her middle name, Alvina. But there was already an Alvina in Oklahoma.

When she was little, she couldn't pronounce "Alvina" and called herself "Navina." And Navina, Oklahoma is still there.

Should have applied "Aunt Ethel" as the name.

kj47
09-18-2022, 09:35
Purgatory New Hampshire.

PWC
09-18-2022, 09:48
Puyallup, WA...first time there I called it poo-yal-up.

A local disabused me of that.... It's pew(like in a church)-all-up.

Don't know about now, but in the 70's main street had giant crossed daffodils painted on the street at each intersection. Wonderful place to visit; I hope the Seattle stupidity didn't spill over to there.

Allen
09-26-2022, 01:39
Why travel in Europe without your gun.

Allen
12-24-2022, 04:36
There is a Hell Michigan, Hot Coffee MS, and a small village in Austria named F**king.

Well, Hell just froze over.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11571729/United-States-freezing-Christmas-bomb-cyclone-leaves-FedEx-warning-presents-delayed.html

jon_norstog
12-24-2022, 09:06
Oregon what we got? Drain ... Boring ... Blue Joint .. Green Peter .. some others I forgot

jn

Vern Humphrey
12-26-2022, 02:00
Oregon what we got? Drain ... Boring ... Blue Joint .. Green Peter .. some others I forgot

jn

In Arkansas we have Rooster Poot -- it's between Toad Suck and Possum Grape.

jjrothWA
01-01-2023, 02:30
Don't forget "intercourse, PA."