PDA

View Full Version : I knew this kid

dryheat
09-09-2022, 09:43
The Alaska pipeline. My brother worked at pump station 8 for a while. I've seen school chums names scratched into the cabs of heavy machinery.
Vandalism isn't rare. Graffiti piss's me off, but it's fairly harmless.

There are plenty of nuts out there. One persons nut is another's hero. The pipeline got attacked a little. Most areas are too forbidding to get to.
It's been so long I don't remember how I heard this story. The guy who got arrested for a long ago attack on the pipeline was a neighbor and childhood acquaintance.

We did the usual kid stuff, which included going on the Armies range and picking up parachute flares out of the trees. We also picked up used VN era trip flares. DON'T play with them as a sixteen yr. old kid will. We all got serious reactions to the chemicals. We burned the insulation off of salvaged copper wire for the .40/lb return...until we set a telephone pole on fire(just bad luck, anyone else could have done the same. The 55 gal drum was too close to the pole). Anyway, I was banned from hanging around with him.

Here's the story. It's not mentioned in the report but I heard it was drunk talk in a bar that got him arrested. By the way, I sat next to a young fellow in a bar one night who told me he was a hit man, he had killed people. He also pointed me towards a great sci-fi book that I did buy. A real hit man? Or BS?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/suspect-arrested-in-1978-alaska-pipeline-bombing-authorities-say
I know there's something else I need to mention, but I'll think of it after this is posted.

Here it is:

Daniel Lewis was convicted of oil pollution, criminal mischief and other charges for firing a powerful hunting rifle into the pipeline on Oct. 4, 2001. The hole allowed 285,000 gallons of oil to leak near Livengood. Cleanup costs exceeded $13 million.

Lewis in June 2003 was sentenced to 16 years in prison.

[I was just foolin' around...]

The hole allowed 285,000 gallons of oil to leak -
A lot of pressure or a honkin round or inspection about once every six months.

rayg
09-10-2022, 07:05
Good post..

barretcreek
09-10-2022, 09:15
Going to Extremes by Joe McGinniss. Went and traveled the length of the pipeline before it was built and then returned, spoke to the same people about how their lives were changed. Funny tale about a small town newspaper publisher and the city council.