PDA

View Full Version : Pine-Sol

Johnny P
10-26-2022, 04:57
What is the world coming to. The makers of Pine-Sol are recalling 37 million bottles of Pine-Sol that may be contaminated with bacteria. Isn't Pine-Sol suppose to kill bacteria?

barretcreek
10-26-2022, 05:55
Don't want to meet those bugs.

Allen
10-26-2022, 06:44
Years ago it would have made some sense when Pine-Sol was made from pine oil and was not a disinfectant per se except for the natural ability of the pine oil to disinfect.

I remember when Lysol (their competitor) made some TV advertisements once stating "what do you get when you clean with lemon scented Pine-Sol? Lemon scented germs" but can find no reference now as to it not killing germs, at least to the extent people thought. Maybe Lysol got sued?

It was after this that Pine-Sol changed it's formula to that of a better disinfectant. Mostly because Clorox had bought the company and wanted to reduce the cost by eliminating the pine oil which had become expensive and scarce. The PH used to be acidity, now it is alkaline. If you're familiar with this you'll notice it still has a pine scent but doesn't smell like the old Pine-Sol.

What could live in that stuff though regardless of what it's made of?

PWC
10-26-2022, 08:44
Clorox also has evolved to a less capable bleach. It does not remove stains from whites as it once did. I used to put a cup full of original clorox in the 500 gallon waret tank on the top of my downtown house in Iraklion Crete, to disinfect our non drinking water. Drinking water came home in 5 gal jugs.

JimF
10-27-2022, 07:53
Anyone notice the formula change in Hoppe’s No. 9?

barretcreek
10-27-2022, 08:12
Anyone notice the formula change in Hoppe’s No. 9?

Thank EPA. Also bluing salts have changed.