PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time

Allen
11-03-2022, 06:58
Ending Sunday Nov 6th.

Some want to keep it year round, some don't. As a kid I liked the extra daylight during the summer. Here it gets dark around 8:30pm on the longest days with the savings time thrown in. To me the extra daylight is more needed during the winter though when the days are shorter instead of the already long days of summer.

I could see keeping the savings time year round in concerns of people not having to drive home in the dark and women not having to walk in the dark to their cars after leaving work (assuming an 8--5 schedule) but the trade-off would be dark hours in the mornings not being safe for school kids so what do you do?

Vern Humphrey
11-03-2022, 02:17
Let Daylight Savings Time lapse -- we adopted it in imitation of the British in WWI. The war is over!

Allen
11-03-2022, 02:30
How many of you have "The Sounds of Silence" song stuck in your head now?

PWC
11-03-2022, 03:14
How many of you have "The Sounds of Silence" song stuck in your head now?

LOL, LOL

Major Tom
11-03-2022, 06:44
LOL, LOL

Yeah, me too now!

dogtag
11-04-2022, 03:39
I still have It's a small world theme in my head from 30 years ago.
The ultimate Ear Worm.

Allen
11-04-2022, 04:54
I still have It's a small world theme in my head from 30 years ago.
The ultimate Ear Worm.

Thanks. Now I have it.

Johnny P
11-04-2022, 05:54
Wonder exactly how did they come up with this very exact number. Exactly 171?

"A meta-analysis by Rutgers researchers found that permanent DST would eliminate 171 pedestrian fatalities (a 13% reduction) per year."

Allen
11-05-2022, 09:59
Let Daylight Savings Time lapse -- we adopted it in imitation of the British in WWI. The war is over!

Part of the "blackout" huh?

dryheat
11-06-2022, 01:18
You guys have stupid songs in your head. Try having two weeks of, well, I don't want to even bring it up. Not harmful, but annoying.
And then there's old girlfriend's. A couple of years of that get's old.
What you do is; open the kitchen cabinet, put the memory in the cabinet and shut the door. You can revisit it when ever you want to, but it might be a time to enjoy without the memory.
Pretty deep, I know.

Art
11-06-2022, 07:11
Going back to standard time all year long wouldn't break my heart at all. Daylight savings time was instituted partly to save fossil fuels so even the lefties should be on board with it. One of the things I like about Arizona!!

blackhawknj
11-06-2022, 01:08
IIRC during the Energy Crunch from the Arab Oil Embargo 1973-1974 some areas stayed with standard time, there were complaints about kiddies waiting for their school busses in the dark.

Vern Humphrey
11-06-2022, 01:45
Going back to standard time all year long wouldn't break my heart at all. Daylight savings time was instituted partly to save fossil fuels so even the lefties should be on board with it. One of the things I like about Arizona!!

Daylight Savings Time was instituted in England during WWI. They called it "Double Summer Time." London is about the same latitude as the south tip of Hudson's Bay, consequently the days are very long in Spring and Summer, and this extended the day for people who worked in daylight and supposedly increased war production.

Mark in Ottawa
11-07-2022, 09:58
You guys have stupid songs in your head. Try having two weeks of, well, I don't want to even bring it up. Not harmful, but annoying.
And then there's old girlfriend's. A couple of years of that get's old.
What you do is; open the kitchen cabinet, put the memory in the cabinet and shut the door. You can revisit it when ever you want to, but it might be a time to enjoy without the memory.
Pretty deep, I know.

If I had old girlfriends on my mind, my wife, who is very discerning, would probably ask me why

Ltdave
11-08-2022, 11:45
IIRC during the Energy Crunch from the Arab Oil Embargo 1973-1974 some areas stayed with standard time, there were complaints about kiddies waiting for their school busses in the dark.

i remember something like that but thought it was 72. i could have my 'grades' wrong. we got reflective tape arm bands we were to put on our winter coats so that we would be more visible in the dark.

dryheat
11-08-2022, 12:48
I got out of the service in '73. Came home, more or less to a new world. Cars lined up to get gas. We should have bombed Arabia then. No one likes my ideas.

Vern Humphrey
11-08-2022, 06:34
I got out of the service in '73. Came home, more or less to a new world. Cars lined up to get gas. We should have bombed Arabia then. No one likes my ideas.

No need to bomb anybody -- just drill and frack in our own country. And build more nukes.

Allen
11-08-2022, 06:55
No need to bomb anybody -- just drill and frack in our own country. And build more nukes.

And import only if/when it is cheaper to do so. Never export.

Vern Humphrey
11-09-2022, 09:27
And import only if/when it is cheaper to do so. Never export.

Why shouldn't we export? We export food, manugactured goods and so on. Without exports our economy will collapse.

Allen
11-09-2022, 09:51
Why shouldn't we export? We export food, manugactured goods and so on. Without exports our economy will collapse.

We need to reserve our oil and export manufactured goods.

That keeps us energy secure w/o being at someones else's mercy and puts our people to work in manufacturing jobs.

As it is we sell raw materials to other countries then buy everything back in the form or a finished product bypassing our own labor.

Food? If we didn't export so much of it there would be more for us, right? That would bring the cost down and the farmers would still produce the same amount, it just wouldn't loaded up on ships.

Extra or surplus items? Sure, export it but when our prices go up and up constantly I don't see and surpluses.