PDA

View Full Version : A question for you english experts

Ken The Kanuck
11-17-2022, 04:34
Yesterday a buddy of mine is lining up some friends to go to dinner.

He said we would get together "next Friday", being that yesterday was Wednesday, Nov.16/22 I thought next Friday would mean Nov. 18/22.

When I later questioned him on the date he said "Friday, Nov.25/22".

When I said to him that was 2 Fridays away, He said that Friday the 18th is referred to as "this Friday"

Which is correct?

KTK

Allen
11-17-2022, 05:16
Confusing and would need to be clarified, as you did, but I would say he is correct. "This Friday" being 2 days away.

A term I often hear but don't like would be "Friday week" meaning a week from this Friday.

jcg&jmbfan
11-17-2022, 06:00
This Friday = 18th, next Friday = 25th around here.

lyman
11-17-2022, 07:28
ditto,

as in, I am traveling to a gunshow this friday (tomorrow) and next friday (day after thanksgiving )

the friday week or week from friday applies here too

lyman
11-17-2022, 07:30
and for what it is worth, I speak, spellz, and writes good English, sometimes
bad English often

and I can understand both Hillbilly and Jive,

fguffey
11-18-2022, 08:20
There is Friday, next Friday, the Friday next, the coming Friday etc. If my friends do not make it clear, I will be there last Friday.

F. Guffey

Ken The Kanuck
11-18-2022, 01:16
Well, I certainly appreciate the input, my English is crappy.

Mind you that did not prevent me from teaching English in Tehran in the 70's. small wonder those poor immigrants have such a hard time making themselves understood when they come here.

But I needed the money.

KTK

Art
11-18-2022, 06:27
The way I've always understood it is; this Friday is the Friday of the week you're in. Next Friday is the Friday in the week upcoming. A general rule not set in stone. Language, by nature, is often imprecise.

High Plaines Doug r
11-18-2022, 07:03
When people (shooters, no less) can't agree to differentiate between Clips and Magazines or bullets and cartridges. There is no end to any argument.

JimF
11-19-2022, 09:07
When people (shooters, no less) can't agree to differentiate between Clips and Magazines or bullets and cartridges. There is no end to any argument.

Yeah . . . .I see that all the time . . . .and from people that should know better . . .

Recently, I caught an easily-recognized, internet ?gunny? referring to the CHAMBERS of his revolver, as CYLINDERS! (All revolvers I?ve seen contain only ONE cylinder . . .not SIX!)

These ?slip of the tongues? make the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Allen
11-19-2022, 10:03
Yeah . . . .I see that all the time . . . .and from people that should know better . . .

Recently, I caught an easily-recognized, internet ?gunny? referring to the CHAMBERS of his revolver, as CYLINDERS! (All revolvers I?ve seen contain only ONE cylinder . . .not SIX!)

These ?slip of the tongues? make the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

I can't stand for people to call pistol grips "handles".

How many cartoons did we see as kids where a bullet landed beside someone and it was the entire cartridge? That would have amounted to an incredibly worn out bore and strong firing pin spring.

Mark in Ottawa
11-19-2022, 01:45
I think that based on common usage, your friend is correct. For clarity, I would suggest using either "this coming Friday" or Friday of next week" as appropriate.

dogtag
11-19-2022, 07:38
Well, I'm an Englishman and the term should have been "Friday Next"

Allen
11-19-2022, 08:20
Well, I'm an Englishman and the term should have been "Friday Next"

Youse guys drive on the wrong side of the road too.

dogtag
11-19-2022, 08:40
Years ago we invited our next door neighbors to dinner.= (verbally).
Words were like, This Saturday 7pm.
Come 7pm, nobody turned up. Called to see what was happening -
The Wife answered saying we're in bed because you didn't confirm.
Confirm ?
Didn't invite them again.

dogtag
11-19-2022, 08:45
Youse guys drive on the wrong side of the road too.

After being here a few years, went back to visit. Sister loaned me her car which
my Brother delivered to me. He reminded me to drive on the left. Of course I said
pointing out that I'd driven in London for seven years. I drove off and suddenly
found myself looking at the face of the driver of a London double decker. Whoops.

Allen
11-19-2022, 09:34
After being here a few years, went back to visit. Sister loaned me her car which
my Brother delivered to me. He reminded me to drive on the left. Of course I said
pointing out that I'd driven in London for seven years. I drove off and suddenly
found myself looking at the face of the driver of a London double decker. Whoops.

I think I could handle it on country roads but in heavy traffic? Nope, I'd call a cab.

Ken The Kanuck
11-20-2022, 08:03
Crossing the road was my biggest challenge.

KTK

tmark
11-21-2022, 07:01
Crossing the road was my biggest challenge.

KTK

Ken, why didn't the skeleton cross the road? ANSWER: No Guts!