PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what this is?

Ken The Kanuck
11-22-2022, 11:55
I don't think Americans are allowed to own them.

KTK

Vern Humphrey
11-22-2022, 11:56
Don't know what it is, but why can't we own them?

Allen
11-22-2022, 12:49
Looks like a Helwan or a Beretta 1951 to me. The Helwan is a copy of the Beretta. If that's the case they used to be plentiful and cheap here. I had one, kept it a few years and decided I didn't want to get into yet another caliber cartridge (9mm) so I sold it.

barretcreek
11-22-2022, 01:14
Cleopatra on the medallion?

kj47
11-22-2022, 01:15
Looks like a helwan. single stack 8 shot. had one, it was ok. sold it.

dogtag
11-22-2022, 04:21
My Taurus is a neat Berretta copy. Don't know what that is. Looks like a gun though.

Ken The Kanuck
11-22-2022, 05:15
Don't know what it is, but why can't we own them?

Hi Vern,

I think it might be in the same boat as Norinco, unless the government has changed its mind and allows Americans to purchase from them now.

KTK

Allen
11-22-2022, 09:28
I'm not familiar with the medallion on the grips with the little action figure, the rest of the gun, yes.

lyman
11-23-2022, 05:19
we got a ton of the Egyptian version, but the only Iraqi versions were smuggled back as far as I know,

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/tariq.htm#:~:text=The%20Tariq%20semi%2Dautomatic%2 0pistol,pistol%20between%201949%20and%201980.

blackhawknj
11-23-2022, 06:57
The Wikipedia article shows one with the same grips, says it is a Tariq-Iraqi version. On another board a member said he had to replace the locking block in his-cost him $70.00,

Ken The Kanuck
11-23-2022, 07:57
The Wikipedia article shows one with the same grips, says it is a Tariq-Iraqi version. On another board a member said he had to replace the locking block in his-cost him $70.00,

You are correct blackhawknj, it is a Tariq.

Here is an article on them.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/iraqi-tariq-pistol-at-ria/

KTK

Ken The Kanuck
11-23-2022, 08:05
we got a ton of the Egyptian version, but the only Iraqi versions were smuggled back as far as I know,

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/tariq.htm#:~:text=The%20Tariq%20semi%2Dautomatic%2 0pistol,pistol%20between%201949%20and%201980.

Hi lyman, you are correct, I did not look up the thread to see that you had already provided the correct answer.

KTK

Vern Humphrey
11-23-2022, 09:47
Hi Vern,

I think it might be in the same boat as Norinco, unless the government has changed its mind and allows Americans to purchase from them now.

KTK

Nope -- we can own anything. However Chinese guns can't be imported as I understand it.

lyman
11-23-2022, 10:43
with the changes in Canadian gun laws, can you resell it or is it one that goes to the smelter when you pass or turn it in?

Ken The Kanuck
11-23-2022, 10:56
with the changes in Canadian gun laws, can you resell it or is it one that goes to the smelter when you pass or turn it in?

I gave my kid all my guns, who knows what the halfwits in Ottawa will do in the future, but if nothing else I suspect they will grandfather whatever asshole laws they invent.

But like the failed long gun registry, with a change in government there may be a change in the law. Let's hope!

KTK

Vern Humphrey
11-23-2022, 02:59
There's your problem -- without a hard-and-fast Constitution, government can do whatever it wants.

Ken The Kanuck
11-23-2022, 05:41
There's your problem -- without a hard-and-fast Constitution, government can do whatever it wants.

Without the 2nd amendment we are screwed. Be very thankful.

KTK

Vern Humphrey
11-25-2022, 02:16
Without the 2nd amendment we are screwed. Be very thankful.

KTK

We have to be thankful AND watchful.

It is said that when the Constitutional Convention adjourned sine dia, a woman asked Benjamin Franklin, "What kind of a government have you given us?" And he replied, "A republic, madam, if you can keep it."

dryheat
11-30-2022, 09:46
Helwan, Norinco, whatever..they are imported pistols and they are either rare or banned now days. I don't keep up with this much. But, the safety 'looks's like it works. But please don't trust any safety: never point a gun at something you don't intend to kill or wound.
CAI. Know the name? Well, if they are out of business now, they deserve to be. The real Norincos probably didn't have a safety because they didn't care. You wouldn't believe the wonky, janky, sketchy stupid version of a safety they put on the Norinco pistols to get them in the country. Norinco is China. I mean it was beyound belief. If you tipped the pistol a little to the left, the "safety" might just fall off the pistol. Do I know all this to be true? No, I'm filling up the story as I go along. But, CAI put out enough cheap junk for me to get a sense of what they were capable of.
I had the pistol in my hand. Looked like nail polish was used to mark HOT. I know this souonds like I bought this off of some burnout in an alley, but I ordered this. The good old days.
What KTC has is probably a fairly valuable pistol.