PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Inflation

Art
12-08-2022, 11:34
I stopped by my local Academy just to see what was available. The ammo shelves were pretty well stocked and I saw they had some Remington Green and White box .357 Magnum 125 gr. jacketed soft points. Green and white box is the budget variety, unlike the green box the cases aren't nickel plated and the primers aren't sealed, but I figure you guys know that.

Anyhow, I used to buy this stuff for blasting ammo out of my K and N framed .357 revolvers...back when it was $30.00 - $35.00 a box of 50. sometimes I'd find it for under $30.00. Today it was $50.00, yup, a buck a pop. The days are gone I guess when I used to buy my .357 Magnum carry ammo for around the current price of this stuff.

One thing about the 125 gr. .357 Magnum soft point. Out of a 4" barrel revolver, at 1450 fps, this stuff doesn't expand, you may as well shoot FMJ. On the other hand it expands perfectly out of a rifle where it zips along at between 2,000 and 2,100 fps. If I was going to hunt deer or any other medium sized game with a .357 Magnum rifle this ammunition would be high on my list.

And yes, i bought a box.

Allen
12-08-2022, 01:45
Reloading is expensive now too unless you're using old stock bought long ago.

Art
12-08-2022, 01:56
Reloading is expensive now too unless you're using old stock bought long ago.

You betcha, assuming you can even find the stuff. Primers, especially large rifle primers and the most popular powders are darn near or completely unavailable where I live and if you can find them really, really expensive.

lyman
12-08-2022, 05:25
I would bet it will be another year before we start seeing primers come down to normal,

JimF
12-09-2022, 05:37
You betcha, assuming you can even find the stuff. Primers, especially large rifle primers and the most popular powders are darn near or completely unavailable where I live nd if you can find them really, really expensive.

Ole? Ted Kennedy is now smiling in his grave . . . .
Anyone remember him as senator, proposing a bill to make ammunition so expensive that shootings will subside?

Paraphrasing here:
?If we can?t stop gun sales, we can at least slow them down to a crawl!?

Allen
12-09-2022, 06:23
I doubt Ted Kennedy is smilling where he is but I'm not the one to judge.

Mark in Ottawa
12-14-2022, 03:42
I seem to recall a comedian proposing the same solution, only he suggested a price of $10,000 per pistol cartridge. At that price, I would get a licence to sell any that I had around

bruce
12-15-2022, 04:45
Re: Cost. It is what it is. A million years ago, I'd buy .270 ammo when my wife and I were buying groceries at Schwegmann's in New Orleans. Now Schwegmann's is gone. And, a box of .270 ammo is about $25 - 30 ... if you can find it. Back then, it was $8.99 plus tax. And ... back then, I was making $5.00/hr. Now, I pay more than that for lunch at Wendy's. Sincerely. bruce.

Art
12-15-2022, 06:46
Re: Cost. It is what it is. A million years ago, I'd buy .270 ammo when my wife and I were buying groceries at Schwegmann's in New Orleans. Now Schwegmann's is gone. And, a box of .270 ammo is about $25 - 30 ... if you can find it. Back then, it was $8.99 plus tax. And ... back then, I was making $5.00/hr. Now, I pay more than that for lunch at Wendy's. Sincerely. bruce.

All true. When I went to work for the 'gubmint back in 1972 my starting wage was $7,319.00 per year which was a pretty decent starting wage back then. Now you wouldn't be able to keep a roof over your head for that.

When you have Fiat Currency, which as you know is money backed by nothing except the word of the 'gubmint you will have inflation virtually every year. Acceptable inflation is said to be 1.5 - 2% a year. 2% year doesn't sound like much until you look at the numbers you mention and realize that after 20 years at an average inflation of 2% a year your money has been devalued by 40%. Hopefully wages keep up.

I'm talking about something else. We're in a period where inflation that has outstripped wages added to scarcity caused by a lot of factors that makes a product, ammunition in this case, relatively more expensive than would be seen in a normal Fiat Currency economy. I can still buy lunch at Wendy's but I can't find IMR 4064 powder anywhere :icon_rolleyes: . It isn't just ammo, I know that, baby formula can be hard to get and is still rationed by a lot of stores where I live.

I remember Schwegman's, and Godchaux's and Steinberg's Sports Center in Baton Rouge. Those were happy days :) :icon_salut: .

P.S. The Lipsey family that owned Steinberg's is now a big player in the firearms wholesale business.

barretcreek
12-15-2022, 10:27
Wait until these Druids try to pass a carbon tax on powder.