PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a barrel

Major Tom
12-10-2022, 04:58
I have a 1863 CS Richmond muzzle loader (reproduction) that the barrel has become tarnished. What would you use to polish the barrel back to its original polished steel? Thanks for any replies.

Vern Humphrey
12-10-2022, 05:53
I have a 1863 CS Richmond muzzle loader (reproduction) that the barrel has become tarnished. What would you use to polish the barrel back to its original polished steel? Thanks for any replies.

For original polished steel (not blued or browned) any good rust remover will do, followed by buffing.

Major Tom
12-11-2022, 02:15
It's definitely not rust. The barrel was bright steel wen I bought it and for some reason has turned a dark color. It was always kept oiled. I wonder if a fine steel wool would freshen it up?

lyman
12-11-2022, 05:42
oooo steel wool will, but go slow, and still may leave a bit of discolor,

keep it oiled,

scotch bright may as well, but may leave sanding marks

Allen
12-11-2022, 06:16
oooo steel wool will, but go slow, and still may leave a bit of discolor,

keep it oiled,

scotch bright may as well, but may leave sanding marks

The blue Scotch Bright. The green and especially the purple/maroon can scratch and remove bluing. I've used the green on pots and pans to remove stubborn cooked on food that won't come off and it leaves the pans dull/scratched up. The purple is even more coarse.

Oyaji
12-12-2022, 05:42
Would Nevr-Dull or Brasso be a consideration to remove the tarnish? Think I'd try either one before going on to more abrasive products.

Allen
12-12-2022, 08:44
Would Nevr-Dull or Brasso be a consideration to remove the tarnish? Think I'd try either one before going on to more abrasive products.

I was going to suggest Nevr-Dull but figured no one would know what I was talking about. Use to be very difficult to find. Now WalMart sells it. A can last a long long time. Basically it's a can full of tear off cotton wadding impregnated with jewelry cleaner/polish.