PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic!

Johnny P
12-12-2022, 04:21
Now that they have found a cure for cancer, diabetes, Parkinsons, covid, etc. they have developed an anti-Fentanyl drug. It reduces the effect of the Fentanyl, so the users can go about their merry way with no worry about dying from an overdose. Now, if they can just get them to use it.

Vern Humphrey
12-13-2022, 02:09
Huh? Give us a cite for that!!

Johnny P
12-13-2022, 06:29
How about a site?

https://www.cdc.gov/stopoverdose/naloxone/index.html

dryheat
12-13-2022, 09:50
Thanks Big Pharma...again. First they invent the drug, then they invent the cure. Win win for them and we're stuck with the brain damaged idiots.

The CDC says:

Naloxone saves lives
Nearly 50,000 people died from an opioid-involved overdose in 2019.4 One study found that bystanders were present in more than one in three overdoses involving opioids.4 With the right tools, bystanders can act to prevent overdose deaths. Anyone can carry naloxone, give it to someone experiencing an overdose, and potentially save a life.

And...what does that cost to buy? Hope it's cheaper than bear spray.

Right, I carry druggy overdose meds on me. What do you carry?

dryheat
12-15-2022, 12:15
I never seem to run across druggies that need antidotes. Why, you ask? Because I was raised by scandinavians. Cool word, no? My story goes back a couple of millennials.
Are the Europeas faultless? No, by any stretch of the word. No one is blameless. The world is awash in humans. They work it.

bruce
12-15-2022, 04:52
Naloxone. Glad it has been developed. Save lives. Not always, but then it's a rare thing when something is 100% effective. Are there any wrong lives to save? Guess that is in the heart of the one that has to make that decision. For my part, I'll opt to save lives. Now, as to cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., so very much has already been done. Wonderful. My grandfather died at 55 from a massive heart attack. Runs in the family. Most of the men haven't made it beyond 73. I'll soon be 67. Doctor says I have excellent chance of living well into my 80's ... unless something comes up unexpectedly. My brother died of cancer at 48. That was unexpected. Back in 2004, some might have thought there were to many people on the planet. I'd pay real money to have him still alive, regardless of whether or not anyone thought he was a population problem. Sincerely. bruce.

dryheat
12-15-2022, 11:46
Medical science has done wonderful things. But they haven't found a cure for stupid. If the bottle says, take two before dinner that's pretty easy to understand. Taking eight results in the usual "accidental overdose". Some of the dead are just dumb kids who might have grown up and got smarter. Maybe they were pretty smart to begin with but just did a dumb kid thing. 50,000 deaths is a lot. I don't think it was 50,000 really smart people. So we lose a few good ones in the mix.

Vern Humphrey
12-16-2022, 03:23
In the Army, they teach combat lifesavings techniques. Everyone carries an emergency battle dressing. They teach you to use the OTHER GUY'S battle dressing on his wound -- so when you get hit, you'll still have yours.

So why aren't they teaching druggies to carry their OWN Naloxone?

dogtag
12-16-2022, 03:48
From what I've seen, when someone is on the ground suffering,
passers by take pictures.

bruce
12-16-2022, 03:57
Some folks don't do the rubber neck routine. Saw a man and woman on a motorcycle hit the back end of a truck. His right leg was cut off right about the knee. Blood was spraying. Her injuries were remarkably light. We were having our Boy Scout meeting. No one seemed to think twice about finishing our merit badge work. We all piled down to the street. The assistant scout master handled things while we waited for an ambulance. Glad the assistant scout master was there. Guess some folks will not help anyone. Happily, good folks are usually around. Sincerely. bruce.

Allen
12-16-2022, 04:29
We all piled down to the street. The assistant scout master handled things while we waited for an ambulance. Glad the assistant scout master was there. Guess some folks will not help anyone. Happily, good folks are usually around. Sincerely. bruce.

People use to help. People use to be united in their concerns. In the past no one would/could pass by someone in this kind of need w/o helping.

Then the lawsuits began.

Now you can get sued by anyone including the very one who's life you may have saved. Been like this for decades now. Humanity is fading. Still it would be hard to pass by w/o applying some form of tourniquet and/or calling 911.

Then came AIDS. Some people are still afraid of getting someone else's blood on them.

People have been taught the hard way not to get involved. Many want to help but....

Vern Humphrey
12-17-2022, 06:57
People use to help. People use to be united in their concerns. In the past no one would/could pass by someone in this kind of need w/o helping.

Then the lawsuits began.

Now you can get sued by anyone including the very one who's life you may have saved. Been like this for decades now. Humanity is fading. Still it would be hard to pass by w/o applying some form of tourniquet and/or calling 911.

Then came AIDS. Some people are still afraid of getting someone else's blood on them.

People have been taught the hard way not to get involved. Many want to help but....

A torniquet will definitely get you sued -- especially if it results in amputation.

Allen
12-17-2022, 07:22
A torniquet will definitely get you sued -- especially if it results in amputation.

Agree but in this particular example the leg was already off.

Vern Humphrey
12-17-2022, 07:26
Agree but in this particular example the leg was already off.

That's an exception. A tourniquet around a limb can kill the limb.

Allen
12-17-2022, 07:31
That's an exception. A tourniquet around a limb can kill the limb.

No no no, all the TV medical shows portray tourniquets (yeah I had to look up the spelling) as being the next best thing to sex. Also, I remember in grade school health class being taught how to apply a tourniquet. That alone should tell you it's something you shouldn't do.

Former Cav
01-03-2023, 10:59
yes, if you get a "nick" while shaving, apply that tourniquet to your neck!!

Vern Humphrey
01-03-2023, 11:08
yes, if you get a "nick" while shaving, apply that tourniquet to your neck!!

For maximum effectiveness, use piano wire.

dryheat
01-03-2023, 12:11
Here's one you might have seen a long time ago: The cowboy gets snake bit. He cuts a slice between the fang marks and sucks the poison out. Of course that only works on areas that are accessible.

rayg
01-03-2023, 02:08
I hope he spit it out, lol

Vern Humphrey
01-03-2023, 02:24
Here's one you might have seen a long time ago: The cowboy gets snake bit. He cuts a slice between the fang marks and sucks the poison out. Of course that only works on areas that are accessible.

It doesn't work at all.

At Camp Ripley, Minnesota, I was working with a National Guard unit, and there was a hullabaloo in the brush. I ran over and found a soldier who had been snake bit -- the classic fang-and-side teeth mark. A sergeant came up with a Cutter snakebite kit. Those things don't work -- the cups just fall off. While he was trying to make it work, a medic came up. "It's too late, anyway."

When he heard that, the kid's eyes rolled back up in his head and he fainted dead away. I grabbed him by the stackin' swivel and started smacking his face -- "He means the helicopter is coming!"