PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between a model 12 and a model 1200

Ken The Kanuck
12-12-2022, 08:59
I have a model 1200 with a poly choke and a buddy of mine wants to shoot trap in the meat shoots, he is a pretty successful shooter, but his guns will not reach out as well as he wants. He says that a lot of the guys use a model 12, will the 1200 with the poly choke do the job?

Thanks

KTK

JimF
12-13-2022, 05:55
I don?t see why not . . . . .

All the ?informal? trap shoots I?ve attended could have been fired with a ?modified? choke . . .let alone a ?full.?

In fact, I?ve used a modified at the 16 yard line in formal shoots as well.

A point to remember is, thanks to today?s one-piece plastic wads, guns will shoot ?one choke TIGHTER? than what is marked on the barrel.

For example . . . .a modified choke (as marked on the barrel) will actually shoot full choke patterns. A full choked barrel will actually shoot ?extra full? patterns. Using a full choke barrel, close in . . . .say 16 yards . . . . can actually be a detriment.

A major difference twixt? a Winchester Model 12 and 1200 is the receiver material (forged steel vs. aluminum alloy investment casting) and many other internal parts are castings on the M1200.

Again! . . .querys instead of quotes and apostrophes! . . .Will this EVER be fixed??

jjrothWA
12-13-2022, 08:29
He will have to test is out for the shells being used.

The 1200 is early 70's [manufacturing /cheaper] "upgrade" to the Model 12.

Good luck.

Art
12-13-2022, 09:36
I used to shoot a lot of trap, and still get out there sometimes. I never shot competition but at one point I was shooting almost every weekend. My gun then was a 1975 Wingmaster with a full choke.

Patterning the gun at 40 yards is a good place to start. If you're getting three pellets or so on a clay pigeon sized target toward the edges of that 30 circle inches at that distance you're definitely good to go.

Choke is important. The poly choke will break birds, of course but if your buddy wants to get really serious a gun with a fixed full choke is probably the way to go.

Shells. Vintage guns made for those old paper shells with fiber wads (My L.C. Smith for example) do shoot one choke tighter, more or less, with modern shot shells but modern guns, built during the plastic shot shell era are more likely to have the choke marked on the barrel give an accurate picture of what you'll get. That's my experience at least. I'll bet the Model 12s folks are shooting have fixed full chokes and were built in the 1950s or earlier. I know my L.C. Smith just powders birds waaay out there. It's choked full and modified and it absolutely throws extra full and full patterns from those barrels. Good shells with hard shot help too. My preference are Winchester heavy trap Double AAs with 7 1/2 shot but their are other choices that are as good.

lyman
12-13-2022, 06:55
Model 12 is one of the nicest looking shotguns ever made,
all steel, slick action , very reliable,
available from plain jane to high end,

the 1200's are a alloy received, more modern (as far as manufacture technics) shotgun for the avg home owner or hunter,

apples to oranges comparison,

but that is not saying the 1200 are a bad shotgun, just not the same