PDA

View Full Version : Stuff you just can't live without

Allen
12-16-2022, 05:40
NOT

dryheat
12-16-2022, 07:37
Those are good. When the pistol didn't work you just stretched them out on the garage floor and hit them with a hammer. Tigger or Trigger it's the same basic thing right?
That last one is really deep.

Allen
12-16-2022, 08:06
Those are good. When the pistol didn't work you just stretched them out on the garage floor and hit them with a hammer. Tigger or Trigger it's the same basic thing right?
That last one is really deep.

I would put a whole roll in a vice and tighten it down. The whole roll would go off at once. Made a bigger bang that way. Loved the smell.

Still have my old pair of "Fanny Fifties" somewhere I think.

dryheat
12-18-2022, 08:41
I never thought of that. A vice comes in handy for a lot of things. We used the vise to hold the rocket we tried to set off in my dad's garage. Now, your not going to believe this, but we launched an eye dropper. My older smarter friend poured gun powder into the vessel, put the rubber squeeze thing back on top. Made it level. Maybe, there was a fuze. Lit it off and it shot 1 ft. There were other experiments after that.
If you still have your old six shooters that's something. Remember how to load one?

Allen
12-19-2022, 12:25
I never thought of that. A vice comes in handy for a lot of things. We used the vise to hold the rocket we tried to set off in my dad's garage. Now, your not going to believe this, but we launched an eye dropper. My older smarter friend poured gun powder into the vessel, put the rubber squeeze thing back on top. Made it level. Maybe, there was a fuze. Lit it off and it shot 1 ft. There were other experiments after that.
If you still have your old six shooters that's something. Remember how to load one?

I did something somewhat similar with a 24" length of 2" steel water pipe. This experiment also included a vice, fuze and gun powder. The pipe was completely filled with powder (do the math) and "launched" into the ground. There is much more to this story. People were talking about it the following day.

Loading cap pistols? Yeah, I had forgotten about the part of pulling out a section of the roll past the hammer. A little bit like loading film in a 35mm camera.

Major Tom
12-19-2022, 01:30
As teenagers, we would fill empty CO2 cartridges with book match heads (took several books to fill) and stick a whole match in the end and light it like a fuse. We never knew where they went, but a terrific bang and gone!

Mark in Ottawa
12-19-2022, 02:04
I did something somewhat similar with a 24" length of 2" steel water pipe. This experiment also included a vice, fuze and gun powder. The pipe was completely filled with powder (do the math) and "launched" into the ground. There is much more to this story. People were talking about it the following day.

Loading cap pistols? Yeah, I had forgotten about the part of pulling out a section of the roll past the hammer. A little bit like loading film in a 35mm camera.

We used a 10 inch length of one inch diameter water pipe and made a cannon that fired marbles into the garage across the road. We made our own black powder by telling my friend's older sister that we needed saltpeter for an experiment using his kids chemistry set. She worked for a chemical distributor and never clued into what we were doing. We got the sulphur at the pharmacist and the charcoal from the BBQ. We had no idea just how dangerous this was but then we were 12 years old

Allen
12-19-2022, 03:51
We used a 10 inch length of one inch diameter water pipe and made a cannon that fired marbles into the garage across the road. We made our own black powder by telling my friend's older sister that we needed saltpeter for an experiment using his kids chemistry set. She worked for a chemical distributor and never clued into what we were doing. We got the sulphur at the pharmacist and the charcoal from the BBQ. We had no idea just how dangerous this was but then we were 12 years old

Saltpeter is a fertilizer or food preservative so no restrictions there. Now, there may be though. I think I had my Mom pick this up for me and yeah, she knew what I was up to. The sulphur, like you said came from the drug store and I used the charcoal briquettes too from the grill. The briquettes were broken up using a hammer then I kept going till it was a fine powder like the other 2 ingredients. Starting with equal parts I added a little of this and that till the powder would flash w/o leaving any or much residue. What I ended up with was something very near the type powder used in firecrackers--very fine, like flour, and would flash, not burn. I would put a few ounces into that pipe at a time and compact it using a hammer and wooden dowel till the sound resembled a metalic "dink", "dink". Then I would add more powder and do the same till I completely filled the 24" pipe.

Yeah, lighting a fuze to this probably was a little dangerous.

Vern Humphrey
12-20-2022, 11:27
We used to punch a hole through the bottom of a tin can, put in a firecracker with it's fuze sticking through the hole, and push the can down on a fence post. The can would go about a hundred feet. We used it as a mortar.

Allen
12-20-2022, 11:40
We used to punch a hole through the bottom of a tin can, put in a firecracker with it's fuze sticking through the hole, and push the can down on a fence post. The can would go about a hundred feet. We used it as a mortar.

Did the same with cherry bombs but didn't go to the trouble to punch the hole. We just let the fuse stick out below the rim of the can. We launched from a flat tile or brick instead of a fence post. Use to enjoy throwing cherry bombs into mud puddles too. The fuse was waterproof. They blew a lot a water straight up, then it all came down.

Vern Humphrey
12-20-2022, 12:04
My high school in Pleasant Plains, Arkansas, was built by the CCC in 1940. It was on a steep lot, so there was a half-basement under the back part of the building. That's where the restrooms were. To go to the restroom, you had to go out the front door and around the back.

When you got there, you could see that whoever installed the plumbing had never seen a flush toilet in his life! They all drained into a pipe that slanted horizontally downhill. Boys room on the upper end, girls on the lower. Boys used to flush M80s down the toilet and listen for screaming from the girls.

Allen
12-20-2022, 12:21
Happened to one of my 8th grade teachers. She left the room for a few minutes then came back drenched head to toe including her hair. On another occasion someone shot a rabbit late on a Friday afternoon, raised a window in her classroom then tossed the rabbit inside to stew in the heat till discovered Monday morning. Another occasion, may have been during Summer vacation, someone broke in and took her door off the hinges. It was later found beached on the riverbank of a nearby river the locals frequently used then.

Yeah, she deserved all this and WAY more. She was a mental case that had no business being around other humans, much less children. Our tax dollars at work.

Vern Humphrey
12-20-2022, 12:33
Happened to one of my 8th grade teachers. She left the room for a few minutes then came back drenched head to toe including her hair. On another occasion someone shot a rabbit late on a Friday afternoon, raised a window in her classroom then tossed the rabbit inside to stew in the heat till discovered Monday morning. Another occasion, may have been during Summer vacation, someone broke in and took her door off the hinges. It was later found beached on the riverbank of a nearby river the locals frequently used then.

Yeah, she deserved all this and WAY more. She was a mental case that had no business being around other humans, much less children. Our tax dollars at work.

You could say that about many teachers and ALL the officials of the NEA.

dryheat
12-21-2022, 01:11
Mental people need to be respected. Right? Isn't that what Barney said we should do?
Allen, it's sounds like you went to the same school as Carey. School can be rough. Do you ever wonder about your old teacher? Did she teach you anything?

Allen
12-21-2022, 06:23
Mental people need to be respected. Right? Isn't that what Barney said we should do?
Allen, it's sounds like you went to the same school as Carey. School can be rough. Do you ever wonder about your old teacher? Did she teach you anything?

I wouldn't use the word "teach". Like anyone in her position she had to go by the books decided upon the county and state. Mostly what was taught by all teachers then was about as useless as a used condom.

Instead of the word "teach" I would say she got her point across more so by screaming, hollering, and perhaps some jumping up and down. Just kidding, she was far worse than this. Obviously she never married and lived alone. She taught history which later in life became one of my favorite subjects but in school I learned nothing of any use, especially the BS that was in the books. This part wasn't the teachers fault---they had to "teach" what was presented to them but a real teacher can make things interesting. Few to none of them did that. They stared at the clock on the wall as much as the students.

Vern Humphrey
12-26-2022, 02:52
I wouldn't use the word "teach". Like anyone in her position she had to go by the books decided upon the county and state. Mostly what was taught by all teachers then was about as useless as a used condom.

Instead of the word "teach" I would say she got her point across more so by screaming, hollering, and perhaps some jumping up and down. Just kidding, she was far worse than this. Obviously she never married and lived alone. She taught history which later in life became one of my favorite subjects but in school I learned nothing of any use, especially the BS that was in the books. This part wasn't the teachers fault---they had to "teach" what was presented to them but a real teacher can make things interesting. Few to none of them did that. They stared at the clock on the wall as much as the students.

And things have got worse, not better, since your time.

Former Cav
01-03-2023, 10:36
had one guy through a cherry bomb down the toilet and flush it at school. the pipes came off the walls.
No body ever ratted him out that I know of. Crazy dude. wonder if he is still alive.

Vern Humphrey
01-03-2023, 10:50
had one guy through a cherry bomb down the toilet and flush it at school. the pipes came off the walls.
No body ever ratted him out that I know of. Crazy dude. wonder if he is still alive.

Wonder if he still has all his fingers. :evil6:

Allen
01-03-2023, 11:47
Cherry bombs and M-80's. Some of my best childhood memories and something kids nowdays only hear about.

Vern Humphrey
01-03-2023, 02:24
Cherry bombs and M-80's. Some of my best childhood memories and something kids nowdays only hear about.

You can get them here in Arkansas -- they sell tons every July.

Allen
01-03-2023, 05:23

Did not know that. Fireworks here are legal but the good stuff hasn't been available here since the 60's. The firecrackers they sell here barely have enough power to blow the paper off of them. They sell things that look like M-80's sometimes called M-60's but they are a joke. If I were younger I would buy these, drill out the plug on one end, fill it with powder then re-seal.

lyman
01-03-2023, 08:07

not legal here in VA,

had a friend that mixed up flash powder of some kind, and made fireworks out of them,

the small tubes he made were better than a M80, the bigger were damn near dangerous

like a flash bang, big flash, second later a large bang,

many years ago my brother and I were shooting a 1\2 scale Napoleon cannon on the 4th, and a friend of my Fathers, who was a bit tipsy, Marine VN vet, was tossing those damn things at us while we were loading the cannon and shooting,

took a while for the grass to grow back in that area, but we managed to get the round (3 jiggers of FF packed and wad and and a ball loaded, and fired, about every minute, )

slow I am sure, but it was done

I will admit, beer and likker was involved,

good times

Vern Humphrey
01-04-2023, 12:47
Did not know that. Fireworks here are legal but the good stuff hasn't been available here since the 60's. The firecrackers they sell here barely have enough power to blow the paper off of them. They sell things that look like M-80's sometimes called M-60's but they are a joke. If I were younger I would buy these, drill out the plug on one end, fill it with powder then re-seal.

The son of a friend on mine, in his mid-50s makes his own fireworks. She showed me a picture of his right hand, after one of his homemade crackers went off.

Allen
01-04-2023, 02:10
There was a guy in my school about 3 or 4 years older. He tightly grasped a cherry bomb when it went off. Don't know if it was some kind of dare, a bet lost, or just being a stupid kid at the time but I heard it messed his hand up pretty bad. He wasn't in my class so I never saw it.

Accidents happen and you can't fix stupid but I doubt he did this again so maybe a small part of his "stupid" was fixed.

Vern Humphrey
01-04-2023, 02:40
There was a guy in my school about 3 or 4 years older. He tightly grasped a cherry bomb when it went off. Don't know if it was some kind of dare, a bet lost, or just being a stupid kid at the time but I heard it messed his hand up pretty bad. He wasn't in my class so I never saw it.

Accidents happen and you can't fix stupid but I doubt he did this again so maybe a small part of his "stupid" was fixed.

At Mersa Matruh, along the coastal highway west of Alexandria, Egypt, there was a fellow who made his living by disarming a certain Italian landmine and selling the copper fuzes.

One went off, and he lost a hand. So he had a stick lashed to that wrist and used the other hand. Another one went off, and he lost that hand. When I knew him, he was holding them mines between his two sticks and unscrewing the fuze with his teeth.:icon_scratch:

Allen
01-04-2023, 03:36
At Mersa Matruh, along the coastal highway west of Alexandria, Egypt, there was a fellow who made his living by disarming a certain Italian landmine and selling the copper fuzes.

One went off, and he lost a hand. So he had a stick lashed to that wrist and used the other hand. Another one went off, and he lost that hand. When I knew him, he was holding them mines between his two sticks and unscrewing the fuze with his teeth.:icon_scratch:

I suppose if you see him again he may have sticks for teeth. It sounds like he already has a stick for a brain.

It also sounds like the Italian's don't make very powerful landmines. Maybe THEY are the ones who need the M-80's.

dryheat
01-05-2023, 11:37
I knew a guy who knew a guy who did the pyrotechnics for the local football shows. I got some M80 looking fireworks. Only an inch longer. The serious green fuze.
I wasn't there, but some friends blew a Ford truck hubcap from the back yard to the front yard. Over the roof of my house. I still have the hubcap. It suffered some damage.
So, I was at the gravel pit with a friend and some girls. We had a campfire. I can't remember his name now but he lit one from the campfire. The flame wavers. The charge went off in his hand. It was a crisis for us. We got him over to a house nearby and the woman there took him to the hospital. I saw him later in school and he still had the hand bandaged up like it was broke. He played guitar some, I hope he still does. At least he didn't hold the Cherry Bomb in his teeth. If you do that, that's about it.

Vern Humphrey
01-06-2023, 03:54
I suppose if you see him again he may have sticks for teeth. It sounds like he already has a stick for a brain.

It also sounds like the Italian's don't make very powerful landmines. Maybe THEY are the ones who need the M-80's.

I've never figured out why we invaded Italy. What did we WANT with Italy?