PDA

View Full Version : A real Angry Goose on attack

rayg
12-25-2022, 05:23
The Goose won't give up the attack!

https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=iay129

Art
12-25-2022, 09:50
Geese are aggressive. I remember reading a story in one of the out door magazines, Outdoor Life or one of those by a fellow who when he was a kid went on a hunt for Brandt on the Carolina coast. He shot this one bird but just "wing tipped" it. Well the chase was on and the fellow who wrote the article, who was about 15 at the time, chased down the goose. When the Brandt realized it couldn't escape it charged the kid.

The young fellow decided a critter with that kind of sand deserved to live so he took it to a vet. The doc informed the boy that he'd broken the law by not killing that goose immediately and he'd be breaking the law by treating it, but agreed to see if the bird was rehab-able. It was and after it healed they set it free.

The ancient Romans used Geese as guard animals for warehouses and such. While they couldn't really damage a thief the racket they set up was sure to draw "the cavalry."

Allen
12-25-2022, 10:29
During my old college days back in the dark ages there was a nearby park. Sometimes I would go buy stale sliced bread (10 cents a loaf back then) and go feed the ducks/geese/gulls at the park. Other people did this as well and the birds got accustomed to crowding around when people would park and get out.

The geese wouldn't attack me since I was feeding them but if I didn't give them enough attention (food) they would bite my fingers and tug on my pants leg like a dog. Good thing they don't have teeth (per se) because they have a pretty good bite compared to the nibble that the ducks gave.

The gang usually consisted of about half a dozen white geese and 50-70 ducks and whatever gulls were flying around. I found that 5 or 6 loaves of bread was just asking for trouble and would save the last loaf to throw at them while I was running back to my car for a getaway.

jon_norstog
12-25-2022, 01:54
..... The ancient Romans used Geese as guard animals for warehouses and such. While they couldn't really damage a thief the racket they set up was sure to draw "the cavalry."

The first time the "barbarians" tried to invade Rome it was Gauls in 390 BC. According to legend a force of them made it past the perimeter and over the city walls, but were discovered when they set the geese off honking at the temple of Juno. The alarm was sounded and the city was saved. So the story goes.

jn

barretcreek
12-25-2022, 04:09
Didn't Vietnamese villagers use geese as sentries?

Vern Humphrey
12-26-2022, 04:07
The solution is to grab the goose by the neck, whirl it around your head a few times and then crack it like a whip.