PDA

View Full Version : Shot Show, anyone ever go?

lyman
01-22-2023, 10:08
just got home from 5 days in Vegas,
spent 3 at Shot,
one at the big Antique Arms show,
and a day roaming as well as flying over the Hoover dam and Grand Canyon (Helo tour, good trip, highly recommend)

any else there?

Allen
01-22-2023, 11:04
Did they say anything about Lake Mead/Colorado River levels rising from all the latest storms in that area?

lyman
01-22-2023, 01:10
not a word, in fact the pilot mentioned it was ~165 ft down , you could see the old water line as you flew over

dryheat
01-22-2023, 10:44
You can get all the information you need about Lk Mead without going up in a helo.
Souonds like a great trip. I've flown in a helicopter once. It was fun. The pilot would approach the cliff face and say, c'mon now, we can do it, we can do it... That was at Sedona, AZ.
I am retreating from gunshows, but I might make my way to one more or so. I am at the point (that I never thought I'd be at) where I am having to seriously decide to sell off the guns. I don't have to sell them, but I guess I should, to make it easy on the recipients.

SDigger
01-23-2023, 08:50
All in all sounding like y?all?s had a good round trip vacy :eusa_dance:
If?n y?all ever fly into Moab for a well deserved vacy a cobber & me can take care of all the rest of the sight seeing etc we figure. :icon_wink:
Cheer?s today.

Allen
01-23-2023, 09:38
I use to go to all the local gun shows. I even took my kids when they were young--there was always something there that amused them (usually not the guns).

Unusual things could be found and bought that you didn't see anywhere else. Now, with sellers on the internet that is no longer the case. I started seeing the same old stuff at every show. It's pretty bad when you recognize guns that they can't sell in their shops so they try at the gun shows. I'm talking about worn, refinished, mismatched overpriced guns that no one wants.

People here on the forum have warned about buying powder and primers at the gun shows because so often it is old stock they can't sell in their shops.

A gun show is a place where you go looking for a good buy or to find hard to get items. The sellers seem to think it is a place to get rid of undesirable items and common overstock often raising the prices to pay for the table rental and their weekends off to man the tables.

I'm glad gun shows are still around but as far as getting out and mingling through the crowds only to leave empty handed, it's no longer for me. There are still items to be found and deals to be had but for me I've found they have gotten scarce. I've often said GB is the worlds largest gun shop. Ebay can be good for some parts and accessories.

Prior to the internet I use to shop via the Shotgun News. My father did the same plus bought from Dixie Gun Works.

Overall (here at least) the interest in gun shows seems to have dwindled. I have friends who own shops and use to rent tables at the shows. None of them do that any longer. The buyers seem to have reduced as well. People don't have any place to shoot, don't own property where they can hunt, legal military weapons have dried up or become too high priced for many, so the interest seems to be mostly guns for home defense which narrows the field quite a bit from the olden days.

Again, glad to see the shows and gun interest still going on but they (and me) have changed to the point they no longer interest me enough to attend. For those that do go, more power to you and it can still be a great family outing.

lyman
01-23-2023, 06:40
All in all sounding like y?all?s had a good round trip vacy :eusa_dance:
If?n y?all ever fly into Moab for a well deserved vacy a cobber & me can take care of all the rest of the sight seeing etc we figure. :icon_wink:
Cheer?s today.

Bro Diggs, if I had the time I would have rented a truck (don't think a car would make it to your crib) and spend a day or so with you munching on some of those feral cows,,

lyman
01-23-2023, 06:43
FWIW, Shot Show is not a gun show,

there are guns there, for you to look at and fondle, but the only sales would be do dealers and shipped later,

it is an industry event to get the new stuff or upcoming stuff, in the dealers hands,

LEO\Mil , which I would bet would get a seperate floor or even event, was heavy, as were reloading gear, not just presses, but big industrial machines to make the components for the ammo, then load it,

as well as parts manufacturers etc,

not a consumer show,

18 acres under one roof, lots and lots of walking

good times

lyman
01-23-2023, 06:45
for example, in the LEO section, was this display,

a mechanical dog,

this green version was for whatever, and whatever includes coming after you

there was a blue version for radiation detection,

either way, I hope some 30 cal AP will take one out

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/85ZwMSydXwc