PDA

View Full Version : switch OFF

Bill*B
01-28-2023, 12:24
I find the ON/OFF switch fascinating - converting a controlled feed magazine rifle into a push feed single shot, if I've got it figured right. Was the '03 ever actually used as a single shot? If so, did this cause any damage to the extractor?

Johnny P
01-28-2023, 01:09
Ordnance made the single loading capability available, so apparently there was no harm to the extractor jumping over the case rim.

The soldier could single load his 1903 while keeping a full magazine in reserve.

Merc
01-29-2023, 02:36
I found it interesting that the extractor claw tips on my 1943 Remington 03A3 when I bought it were so worn down that they couldn’t extract a fired case. I suspect it was from a M1903 rifle. The 03A3’s metal was parkerized and was covered end to end with dried cosmoline which led me to believe that it hadn’t been touched after a post WW2 rebuild. Obviously, it was never test fired after the rebuild nor did the former owner fire it. The rifle has a couple non-original parts - bolted stock vs a pinned stock, a Smith Corona butt plate and a 1941 bolt - but the rest of the parts look to be original like new condition. It still seems strange to me that a rifle that probably never fired a shot in combat was put through a rebuild (and wound up with a worn extractor).

RCS
01-29-2023, 07:47
Not very common to find a cut off with a revision number

Found this in a rifle years ago serial number SA 606103 with a RIA 5-18 bbl51358

jjrothWA
02-01-2023, 09:36
Its a carry-over from the Krag Rifle, the troops in the Philippines'. filled the mag, engaged the cut-off and use the rifle with spare rounds held in the off-hand [between the fingers], the 03 kept that. allowing the magazine to be brought into action when is got hotter.