PDA

View Full Version : Russian Tank Losses in the Russo - Ukrainian War

Art
02-03-2023, 07:30
I saw what is supposed to be an accurate tabulation of Russian tank losses (destroyed or captured) in the current war.

T-72 Even the best upgrades of the T-72 are obsolescent, but the Russians, never throwing anything away have a lot of them. Ukrainian anti tank hunting squads have feasted on these vehicles:

Active 2,030, Reserve 7,000

Destroyed/captured 851

T-80 A significant upgrade of the T-72 and probably superior to Ukrainian available armor, including their handful of older T-80s. It is still inferior to western models. It is the only Russian tank to use a gas turbine engine. Export models usually have a diesel.

Active 480, Reserve 3,000

Destroyed/captured 373

T-90 Again a T72 upgrade but with a first rate fire control system and upgraded armor/active defense systems. Capable of hitting tank sized vehicles at 5,000 meters. Still not up to the best western models. The fire control system is highly classified and the "Ukes" have been nice enough to give us access to a captured model.

Active 417, Reserve 200.

Destroyed/captured 37

Total Russian tank losses 1,261 !!!

The new T-14 of which only a few have been made has not been committed to the war and I, at least, suspect it won't be. The consequences of losing one in the Ukraine being too awful for the Rooskies to contemplate.

bruce
02-03-2023, 09:09
Also consideration must be given to the number of russian tanks of all classes held in actual ready reserve and just how many in reserve are not remotely useable due to failure to maintain, repair, parts stripped to repair other vehicles, etc. It is very much more than likely that the actual number of tanks in reserve that can be placed into service is no where near the total numbers cited by russia or even calculated by western sources. Sincerely. bruce.

Allen
02-03-2023, 09:36
Also consideration must be given to the number of russian tanks of all classes held in actual ready reserve and just how many in reserve are not remotely useable due to failure to maintain, repair, parts stripped to repair other vehicles, etc. It is very much more than likely that the actual number of tanks in reserve that can be placed into service is no where near the total numbers cited by russia or even calculated by western sources. Sincerely. bruce.

My thoughts as well.

I believe when Russia claims a "reserve", it is more of a scrap yard.

Art
02-04-2023, 06:29
Bruce and Allen:

You are both pretty much dead on as to the condition of Russian reserve tanks. Most are probably just a source of spare. parts.

A tank isn't like a rifle that you can just pack full of grease and put up. Complex mechanical devices don't always come out of storage well even in the best conditions which surely don't exist in Russia. I read an account of American B29s hauled out of reserve for the Korean War. Most were fine but some weren't. One for example, had trim problems that made it difficult to keep flying straight, perhaps the result of an unreported hard landing. Another had fuel consumption problems that were never really fixed, and this was stuff put in reserve by us!!

blackhawknj
02-05-2023, 05:30
The term "body count" comes to mind. Again both sides keeping a tight control of information, armies with little recent combat experience.