PDA

View Full Version : USMC Unertl Snipers

Ls6man
02-27-2023, 08:36
Here is my totally legit USMC Unertl sniper.. have owned it since 2016, known about it since 1998 or so.. researching them since then as well.

Rifle came into a LGS in 1998 and was bought from the grandson of the USMC Officer who bought it from Organic Sales in 1953/54 for $25.00. Grandson wanted to trade it in towards a modern handgun. An employee of the LGS bought it, as you see it less sling and scope for $500 and called me to discuss.

I immediately thought ?Unertl rifle? and contacted the then leading experts. After speaking with Big Larry (Larry Reynolds) and others felt the rifle was legit, but the stock being a Type S was throwing us off. Larry and myself discussed at length and were able to find photographs showing Type S sniper usage on Okinawa as well as late 30?s USMC Rifle Team usage.

I tried buying the rifle from my buddy but never was successful. Ended up buying it in 2016 from his estate.

The rifle is a textbook Unertl rifie.

I?m also part of a group of fellow collectors, numbering about 28 who document and research USMC Unertl rifles (as well as other USMC sniper rifles). The group is made up of some very prominent collectors and researchers who have been studying these rifles in some cases for over 40 years. The members come from across the country and even overseas.

A lot of the members prefer to stay off gun forums, yet their names are instantly recognized by long time 1903 collectors. Unfortunately as some of these threads show, there is a lot of incorrect information often discussed when the topic of ?USMC snipers,? comes up.

When a reported riffle surfaces we collectively discuss to get both a consensus as well as different perspectives. It is truly collaborative.

As Steve stated it is always good to get opinions from multiple sources, and our group does just that. Steve, Tim, Andrew and others have been instrumental with utilizing the National Archives and other repositories to better understand these rifles through documents. The archival information coupled with really digging down and understanding physical traits, logistics, and manufacturing has allowed us to determine originality on these rifles.

I also maintain a database of reported Unertl rifles, which is shared amongst our group.. over 130 serial numbers to date.. with only about 27 being what the group collectively feels are authentic.

I look forward to the discussion on a rare rifle..

Greg Carlson

https://imgur.com/gallery/9o5fhXE

https://imgur.com/gallery/EVh81uY

nf1e
02-27-2023, 09:57
Beautiful. Thanks for the photos.

lyman
02-27-2023, 04:09
Greg,

thanks for the post,

I sold one of those Marine 1903's I had, (not a sniper) , but still have one I need to authenticate,

I won't have it at the show this weekend, (not sure if you are planning on driving up)

Ls6man
02-27-2023, 04:18
I will definitely come up Sat morning.. think I have softball practice in the afternoon..

cplnorton
02-27-2023, 05:34
You know how much I love this Rifle Greg. It is by far one of the nicest condition wise Unertl Snipers.

A beautiful rifle. :)

lyman
02-27-2023, 07:38
looking forward to seeing you there

Ls6man
02-27-2023, 07:59
Thanks Steve!

Ls6man
02-28-2023, 06:56
Let?s see some more Unertl rifles..

cplnorton
02-28-2023, 06:35
I love this pic because it's 3 Marine Unertl Snipers side by side at Camp Perry. Tim and I were invited by the Marine Rifle team to come hang out with them for the day and we took a whole spread of the different sniper rifle variations up for them to play with.

This moment will remain very special to me since the Unertl Snipers started out as team rifles, and likely had been to Camp Perry with the Marine rifle team before 1940, and we were putting them back in the Marine rifle team's hand over 80 years later. :) It was just a really amazing experience and I hope next year to get even more real rifles together at Perry and to do the same.

https://i.imgur.com/LZRBWe7.jpg

cplnorton
02-28-2023, 06:59
This will likely always be my favorite rifle. This rifle is what made me start to research on my own. I have published this rifle in books, magazines, and it is one of the central rifles on the USMCweoponry.com website. I've sort of plastered this rifle everywhere. lol

https://i.imgur.com/boWTPhf.jpg

Allen
02-28-2023, 07:21
Great photography as well.

Ls6man
03-01-2023, 11:20
When you get an opportunity to study the Unertl rifles and compare them to one another.. amazing how truly similar they are.

pickax
03-01-2023, 11:49
Good show guys, wish I could share one!

nf1e
03-01-2023, 04:29
Wonderful. Above my paygrade, but I can still enjoy others rifles.

Robert Scott
03-01-2023, 07:36
Greg,

thanks for the post,

I sold one of those Marine 1903's I had, (not a sniper) , but still have one I need to authenticate,

I won't have it at the show this weekend, (not sure if you are planning on driving up)

What show? Where?

lyman
03-02-2023, 04:33
What show? Where?

tiny show in Warsaw Va, this weekend

Ls6man
03-05-2023, 06:29
Beautiful. Thanks for the photos.

Hey.. I think your M1C mount just showed up in the CMP thread on them

nf1e
03-06-2023, 02:23
Hey.. I think your M1C mount just showed up in the CMP thread on them

Quite possible. My M1c had a mismatched mount and the mount number on mine was one someone had the matching rifle too. So we swapped mounts. Whatta Hobby!

Ls6man
03-06-2023, 04:16
I saw where your receiver bracket showed up but a guy posted your scope mount last night.

nf1e
03-06-2023, 05:53
I will have to take a look. Not being a collector, as long as it does the job, I really don't care much about the numbers. Thanks. I PMed the guy that has the mount that matches my rifle just to see if he is interested in trading for the mount I traded when another need the one that came on my rifle. Will see.

cplnorton
03-07-2023, 01:46
I had the opportunity to match one back in the day. I had a mount and I found out the Cmp had the M1C to match it. So I called them and they put a hold on that serial if it ever came up to call me. They said they had to wait till it was graded before it could be sold.

Long story short i waited several years and I lost interest and sold the mount. Then about 2 years after I sold it I got the call.

I have always kicked myself I wasn't more patient. I think Dave McClain said there are only a little over a 12 matching sets he knows of. They are very rare.

Ls6man
03-07-2023, 03:27
I?d love to find my original mount.. #3306639

My rifle is an early M1C with original unnumbered receiver bracket with original undisturbed staking.

I suspect my original scope would have been a M81 based on the rifle serial number but it currently has a M82 on mount #3617464. The rings are staked so I believe the scope is most likely the original scope to that mount.

nf1e
03-07-2023, 04:48
Sent a PM to the guy with the mount that matches my rifle. No reply yet.