PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Ray Gun

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-04-2023, 06:42
I couldn't leave the readers in limbo. I posted this picture of a Japanese ray gun and asked the readers to guess if it is real. Believe it or not, it is real. Developed by the Japanese in WWII, it was a sniper rifle of sorts. It could kill a rabbit at 100 feet, but it took ten minutes to do it. It could shut down an engine if the hood was open. Other than killing off a bunch of rabbits, it was deemed an unsuccessful venture. I have no idea how it worked, but it sure looks cool.

I wonder if it had Mann-Niedner taper bases? :icon_scratch::icon_salut::banana100:

Allen
03-04-2023, 07:01
Since it takes so long to make a shot I guess that's why they installed the little "tea pot" on top?

Thanks for posting !!!

nf1e
03-04-2023, 07:46
If you have to tie a rabbit down for 10 minutes, why not just skin it and eat while you are waiting for the ray gun?

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-04-2023, 08:01
Since it takes so long to make a shot I guess that's why they installed the little "tea pot" on top?

Thanks for posting !!!

Could be, Allen. Did you notice it is a lever action? The only thing they left off that sucker was the kick starter!

Allen
03-04-2023, 08:22
Could be, Allen. Did you notice it is a lever action? The only thing they left off that sucker was the kick starter!

Considering the age and fact it is Japanese I'll bet it is a 2-stroke.

With all the 007, whiskey still, fuel injection and junk yard gadgets on it I didn't notice it was a lever action. I wonder what was being chambered or ejected?

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-04-2023, 08:41
Considering the age and fact it is Japanese I'll bet it is a 2-stroke.

With all the 007, whiskey still, fuel injection and junk yard gadgets on it I didn't notice it was a lever action. I wonder what was being chambered or ejected?

I wondered the same thing. I tried to make sense of all the exterior attachments, and I got as far as a tea pot (like you) and the two vacuum tubes at the end of the stock. One gadget looks kinda like a spark plug, and if that is a rear sight sticking out the back, one is guaranteed to lose an eye. And what about the three balls just behind the lever?

I wonder if we tried to reverse engineer it. Surely, we must have tried.