PDA

View Full Version : Star ID on DL

Allen
03-09-2023, 07:37
I intend to get the star ID on my drivers license when I renew this summer. By 2025 it will be required to travel by plane even for domestic flights. To obtain the ID you have to present your birth certificate (like we did when we got our original DL), utility bills proving we live where we state and maybe a couple of other items of identification.

I have no plans for plane travel but you never know.

Any thoughts on this? Advantages, disadvantages?

Major Tom
03-10-2023, 04:19
If you never changed your last name, you will be fine. However, this applies to women, you must (at least in Iowa, show divorce decrees for every last name you used. My sister, who was married 3 times had a bunch of trouble with that. Finding divorce decrees from 30+ years ago is frustrating! The three us (me, myself and I) do not intend to ever fly again.

dryheat
03-10-2023, 06:26
I used to like to fly. Now it's like riding the bus in Philly.

Allen
03-10-2023, 06:47
I used to like to fly. Now it's like riding the bus in Philly.

I wish all airlines/airplane manf's would reduce the number of seats, make the seats larger and book fewer passengers. Flying use to be a treat with people actually dressing up for the occasion. Ticket prices would have to increase accordingly but not to the ridiculous 1st class fares.

If flying became more of a luxury and comfort (with higher ticket prices) more people would perhaps drive or take a bus thus reducing the riff-raff the airlines have attracted.

blackhawknj
03-10-2023, 10:45
It seems we're not that far from an internal passport-"Your papers, please."

Allen
03-10-2023, 11:36
It seems we're not that far from an internal passport-"Your papers, please."

You're right since few of us HERE belong HERE.

Mark in Ottawa
03-10-2023, 02:03
When I first started to fly a lot on business, everybody wore a jacket and tie or the female equivalent. Now, most people fly in jeans and t shirts. It occurs to me that this form of dress is appropriate. If the airlines are going to treat passengers like cattle, it's appropriate to dress like cowboys

dryheat
03-11-2023, 08:40
If you start a ruckus on a plane you NEVER fly again.

Art
03-11-2023, 02:36
If you never changed your last name, you will be fine. However, this applies to women, you must (at least in Iowa, show divorce decrees for every last name you used. My sister, who was married 3 times had a bunch of trouble with that. Finding divorce decrees from 30+ years ago is frustrating! The three us (me, myself and I) do not intend to ever fly again.

Correct. My wife got the star on her last renewal and I've had mine for quite a while. We didn't show anything.

I would only fly under the greatest duress, the only circumstance I can see is perhaps the funeral of a close friend over 400 miles away on short notice. Frankly, on most shorter trips, by the time I get to the airport 2 hours early, check in, get to the boarding area, get on the plane and push off I could be almost halfway from North Houston to Dallas. Then ther's the hassel on the other end and all of this assumes no delays. I'll gladly take the extra hour to hour and a half in my car instead of the flying cattle car thank you very much.

Some airlines for foreign trips (Singapore, Emirates and a couple more) still provide a top notch flying experience but I'm not planning on flying foreign either.

Allen
03-11-2023, 04:08
I would only fly under the greatest duress, the only circumstance I can see is perhaps the funeral of a close friend over 400 miles away on short notice.

My wife has an elderly aunt and uncle from Hawaii. They want their ashes spread there after they die. It looks like my wife and I may end up with that little task so a plane trip may be in my future (they're not dead yet). There may be other advantages to having the star too.

As said earlier I wish the airlines would start ordering the planes with reduced seating, larger seats, more leg room, etc., etc. Eliminate first class and let everyone fly with a littler extra care. If the ticket prices were to double or triple to make up for the loss seats that would be OK too. In the long run I feel it would attract a better class of people like the olden days.

Major Tom
03-12-2023, 05:59
When I used to fly, I always got the aisle seat. One of two things always happened. The fat lady had to pee every 10 minets or the lady sitting next to me took a bath in her stinky perfume!

Johnny P
03-12-2023, 07:35
As the U.S. Representative (D) that married her brother said, "It's all about the benjamins."