PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limit Enforcement Part 2

Allen
03-12-2023, 03:39
Part 2 in case you were texting, not paying attention to the road and missed part 1.

dryheat
03-12-2023, 08:40
I remember the speed limit watched/monitored by aircraft. Sort of like duck and cover. I never was overly concerned with that. I remember a sign near our house that said, Watch out for You and the Child too. It was a cool sign written in a square. Some of those might be collectable now. I think some of the stuff I write should be collectable. But alas.

Allen
03-12-2023, 09:33
I remember seeing one at the Florida state line. May still be there. I guess this all ended with police cars having their own radars.

dryheat
03-13-2023, 08:34
I think cop cars should have fifties in the grill.

Allen
03-13-2023, 08:43
I think cop cars should have fifties in the grill.

I've often visualized that along with a red dot laser while driving in my own car.

Johnny P
03-13-2023, 05:14
A few more brain cells added to the nut that holds the wheel of the police car would help. In this video an Arkansas state trooper used the PIT maneuver to overturn the lady's (who was pregnant) SUV.
She did just what the driver's ed book instructed her to do, but the overzealous trooper had to use his PIT training.

https://fee.org/articles/why-the-arkansas-trooper-who-intentionally-rammed-a-pregnant-woman-s-suv-during-a-traffic-stop-is-unlikely-to-face-consequences/

JimF
03-13-2023, 05:39
Back when dirt was young, I had to drive for an hour on a twisty two lane to get to work.
On many occasions, some slo-poke would be driving well below the posted speed limit, enraging everybody behind.
I REALLY thought about installing the type of air horn as used on big rigs . . . .down low behind the grill, so it would shatter the rear window of the “offending” car!
Instead, I retired and don’t have to travel that road anymore.

rayg
03-13-2023, 06:30
A few more brain cells added to the nut that holds the wheel of the police car would help. In this video an Arkansas state trooper used the PIT maneuver to overturn the lady's (who was pregnant) SUV.
She did just what the driver's ed book instructed her to do, but the overzealous trooper had to use his PIT training.

https://fee.org/articles/why-the-arkansas-trooper-who-intentionally-rammed-a-pregnant-woman-s-suv-during-a-traffic-stop-is-unlikely-to-face-consequences/

Apparently she failed to pull over and stop because she was speeding quite a bit over the limit, I think the drivers book said to pull over to the side of the road when police pull behind you and not to keep driving and wait for an exit while their red lights are on!, Second he had no idea she was pregnant, Also she said I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit. I just wonder how far the next exit was and also wonder if she even knew? The officer had no idea why she wasn't stopping and I wonder how far she was still driving with out pulling over. Not sure under the same situation if I was the officer what I would have done but it seemed apparently to him that she had been speeding and was refusing to pull over?

Johnny P
03-13-2023, 07:24
If you notice where the PiIT took place there is no place to safely pull over. The driver's ed manual covers this, and instructs the driver to slow down, turn on the flashers, and drive to a safe place to stop. First, do you wreck someone going 40 miles an hour to stop them? The moron trooper couldn't wait, but his actions cost the state a settlement something into 6 figures.

rayg
03-13-2023, 07:28
All roads have shoulders to pull over safely! Keeping in mind the officer didn't know why she wasn't pulling over and stopping and had no idea who was driving or who else was in the car just that the driver was failing to pull over.! All she had to do was pull over and stop after all it was safe as she was being pulled over by the police!

Johnny P
03-14-2023, 07:23
If you will go back and look at the film there is no room to pull over and get out of the traffic lane. Can you see the concrete barrier on the right? Was a small speeding infraction worth what he did? Apparently the Arkansas State Police didn't think he did the right thing, as he was disciplined for what he did, and their policy on using the PIT maneuver was changed.

rayg
03-14-2023, 12:35
Well if there was no shoulder to pull over to, then the trooper should have waited until she could pull over safely. What was his discipline and were did you find that info? Just curious!

Johnny P
03-14-2023, 01:34
The newspaper report only reported that he was disciplined not what his discipline was. One of the things ask for in the suit filed by the lady's attorney was a change in the PIT policy, which the Director of the ASP announced had been initiated.

Anyway, I would bet the trooper uses a little more discretion next time.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=aaplw&ei=UTF-8&p=Arkansas+State+Policy+on+Using+PIT+maneuver.#id= 3&vid=98c770ac1f82555a879071633fab2b8c&action=view

Vern Humphrey
03-14-2023, 02:56
Ignorance of the law is no excuse -- and neither is ignorance of the medical status of the person you assault.

He's lucky the woman wasn't Black -- there would be riots in the streets and he would be facing criminal charges.