PDA

View Full Version : 1000 inch range

barretcreek
03-22-2023, 04:20
Brought up the idea at the club meeting to set up a target hanger on the outdoor range; believe it dated back to NG armories for match practice.

Anyone ever shot on one for qualification, training or familiarization? Targets are still made.

lyman
03-22-2023, 05:48
had some targets years ago that Dad had found in some armory ,
I remember shooting them in a class I took in College (shooting and firearm safety, one of my Phys Ed credits,)

I have a few of the new (I think) version , the small black silhouette on a 25 meter target that looks like a body shape,

barretcreek
03-22-2023, 06:24
I have a few of the new (I think) version , the small black silhouette on a 25 meter target that looks like a body shape,[/QUOTE]

That's the one in production. The old ones were reduced bull's eyes I think.

blackhawknj
03-23-2023, 03:00
In BCT at Fort Dix we learned to zero our M-14s on the 1000 inch range, then went to the pop up targets. The targets were divided into 1" squares, on Google images you can see pictures of them. Saves a lot of walking back and forth.

Art
03-24-2023, 09:12
In BCT ay Fort Dix we learned to zero our M-14s on the 1000 inch range, then went to the pop up targets. The targets were divided into 1" squares, on Google images you can see pictures of them. Saves a lot of walking back and forth.

I remember that well. The "Canadian Bull" was used with a white notch in the bottom. Holding at 6 O'Clock if you put your shots into the white notch you were zeroed at 200 meters. The system worked pretty well. The 1,000" little silhouettes serve the same purpose for sighting in today with the M4 Carbine. IIRC according to our son if you're holding center mass on the little silhouette target you're zeroed at 300 meters. The Air Force security forces unfortunately qualify on a 1,000" range which, while better than nothing, is obviously inferior to shooting over distances you're likely to encounter in combat.

Vern Humphrey
03-25-2023, 10:07
Brought up the idea at the club meeting to set up a target hanger on the outdoor range; believe it dated back to NG armories for match practice.

Anyone ever shot on one for qualification, training or familiarization? Targets are still made.

Yes -- we use 1000 inch targets at Fort Polk in '62. The targets we used were landscape targets, and we used them for machine gun practice, with an NCO directing our fire.

blackhawknj
03-26-2023, 03:48
At Fort Dix if you fired a nice tight group, all 3 shots touching, you had fired a "Ballantine group", named after a popular local beer, and your name was announced over the PA system.

barretcreek
03-26-2023, 10:05
Always liked Ballantine. Is it still made?

blackhawknj
03-28-2023, 04:10
The original Ballantine company closed in 1972, Pabst bought some of their assets-the logo, e.g.
When I was in the NYNG in the 1980s we occasionaly got troops qualified on M16s on an indoor range using 22 adaptors, scaled down targets.