PDA

View Full Version : Fun project!

5thDragoons
05-22-2023, 08:39
I probably would have tossed the stock, but I'm glad he didn't. I've done Martini-Henrys and Sniders from the Nepal armory. They weren't as labor-intensive as this. Mostly stock work since yak fat in an excellent metal preservative. SW

https://youtu.be/VUg093Gxpm0

Doc Sharptail
05-22-2023, 10:51
I would not have attempted to fire it.
Some things are best left un-done.
That being said, it's surprising they didn't get a case head separation.

Curious which Red River it was pulled from. Ours has clay that is pure black/grey gumbo, and a fairly high P/H base for fresh water.

Says tons about the gun's design that it held together and fired after all that, even though some of the smaller action parts had to be replaced.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

kj47
05-23-2023, 04:41
Would it be worth a rebarrei? Alot of the case hardening is rusted off. No I would not fire it. I know the reciever & bolt are a tough steel but still...........

lyman
05-23-2023, 05:10
in the many years I have done parkerizing ,, we never let it boil like that,

and where is the damn grease?

Vern Humphrey
05-23-2023, 09:36
The rifle has been rebuilt -- it has a stamped, not milled trigger guard, and the trigger housing has an "SA" stamp.

Allen
05-23-2023, 09:43
The rifle has been rebuilt -- it has a stamped, not milled trigger guard, and the trigger housing has an "SA" stamp.

Might need another rebuild.

Vern Humphrey
05-23-2023, 10:09
Might need another rebuild.

Ya think?:eusa_dance:

barretcreek
05-23-2023, 03:18
Curious which Red River it was pulled from.

Search for Kinzler Bros says they're from Jamestown No Dak.

Have to be alkaline water.

Doc Sharptail
05-23-2023, 11:59
Search for Kinzler Bros says they're from Jamestown No Dak.

That's "our" Red R., even though I'm better than a few hundred miles north of that.
Wonder what a geologist would make of the different clays in the same river basin....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail