PDA

View Full Version : Being retired............

Dan Shapiro
06-03-2023, 09:39
I can vouch for this! :icon_lol:

Allen
06-03-2023, 10:00
After retiring none of the days are hard for me.

I think about my previous job every day but would never consider going back.

Johnny P
06-03-2023, 11:43
Every night is Friday night, and every day is a Saturday.

Art
06-03-2023, 12:59
Every night is Friday night, and every day is a Saturday.

One of the favorite sayings of my fondly remembered friend Carl Jensen. You asked him what he was doing next week and he'd start off "well, on Saturday-Monday I'm...." I had a day job of some sort for 20 odd years after I retired, none full time the great thing was if you got to where you didn't like the gig you just quit, knowing you had a lot of "Saturdays" to find another if you wished and that retirement check always comes :evil6:.

PWC
06-03-2023, 05:43
I retired, but my 3 dogs didn't. So, I got up to let them out, and began the day. One by one they passed, now the day begins around 8. I'd rather have my friends.

Allen
06-03-2023, 06:04
I retired, but my 3 dogs didn't. So, I got up to let them out, and began the day. One by one they passed, now the day begins around 8. I'd rather have my friends.

I know how you feel. After retiring I devoted all my time to my dog (my best friend) who wanted the attention. We did everything together, we went everywhere together. He is gone now and my life is very empty. I don't want another one due to their short life span. You see the entire cycle of life evolve in just a few years. I can't go through the loss of another one. In some ways it's worse than losing a human family member since humans (adults) understand what is happening to them.

Back to retirement, still good, just not as good as it was.

rayg
06-05-2023, 06:46
[QUOTE=Allen;649955]I know how you feel. I don't want another one due to their short life span. You see the entire cycle of life evolve in just a few years. I can't go through the loss of another one.

That is one reason I have not considered getting another dog after the heart breaking losses of several through the years however I'm now getting to the age that I probably will be gone before any dog I get!

Allen
06-05-2023, 07:10
That is one reason I have not considered getting another dog after the heart breaking losses of several through the years however I'm now getting to the age that I probably will be gone before any dog I get!

Do you have family members who will look after the dog as well as you do after death?

In my case no. My wife would feed the dog, let it lay next to her on the couch, my son take it to the vet, but only I have bathed them, groomed them, given them their meds, taken the time to walk the dogs, take them for car rides, play with them, let them out late at night, and do what I can when I understand what they want.

A lot of dogs end up in shelters after the owners die. Some are adopted, others aren't. Animals don't understand any of this.

dryheat
06-05-2023, 12:59
Now that I am retired, I don't care for Sat and Sun. Everyone is on the road. I don't go near the lake. I've seen too much unbelievable dangerous driving.

Allen
06-05-2023, 01:48
Now that I am retired, I don't care for Sat and Sun. Everyone is on the road. I don't go near the lake. I've seen too much unbelievable dangerous driving.

My previous job consisted of 12hr rotating shifts often resulting in days off in the middle of the week. It was nice going to a movie or restaurant on a Tuesday night when the crowds were low. Now, like you, I avoid the weekends. What I need to do away from home can be done Mon--Fri instead.

blackhawknj
06-05-2023, 04:38
I worked as a part-time driver and dispatcher for a large limo company, we got lots of retirees. For most, it wasn't the money so much as it got them out of the house, away from their wives friends, too many "Honey Do" lists, being "volunteered" to chauffeur her friends to doctors' appointments, etc. I knew one cheerfulsalesman behind the gun counter of a chain sporting goods store-"i always wanted to work with guns" "See more of the grandkids than I'd like." etc. One man-a retired lawyer-said he enjoyed the driving, the company used Cadillacs, back them they had a 4 year service life, lots of miles of course.

Merc
06-06-2023, 05:50
I look back at the 25 years since my early retirement and they’ve been some of my best years. I remember how hard it was in the beginning to adapt to retired life. I didn’t miss the work itself since it became clear that GE was not really interested in keeping our business open. It became a race to see who could reach the minimum retirement age of 55 with at least 25 years of service that would qualify us for an early pension before a buyer was found. I met both minimums and our business was sold a couple years after I retired. I missed having something to do every day and the people that I worked with. I’m still friends with a few of my co-workers and I discovered that looking after my grand children while their parents worked would keep us busy. I became interested in antique collecting, guns and travel.

Then, the animals came along. We felt bad losing a great cat in her mid life to cancer in April, 2022 but acquired a male kitten a month later from a rescue in WV. He’s now a big cat that’s more like a dog who knows his name and comes when he’s called. He follows us around the house and always wants to be part of what we’re doing. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to keep him for the rest of his life in exchange for the joy he gives us every day. If he outlives us, then my daughter will give him a home.