PDA

View Full Version : LC-14-B fighting knife

Griff Murphey
06-08-2023, 06:32
Actually the WW-2 iteration of a prewar item called the Woodsman’s Pal. A Vietnam A-1 Skyraider pilot tells me he had one in his survival gear. It’s a nasty looking thing and this one is razor sharp. Being used to dull as-issue bayonets I managed to slit my thumb on this one. The fighting moves suggested in the accompanying manual are cool but I wonder about actual use of them as a close combat weapon. 529245292552926

Art
03-15-2024, 10:38
Ahh, "The Woodsman's Pal." They are still being manufactured here in the good old USA and can be had for between $150.00 and $185.00 depending on where you get them. They are superior to almost any conventional machete for heavy duty brush clearing and as a weapon are similar to the Dacian Falx in concept. The Falx compelled the Roman army to change/modify equipment as it would chop right through Roman helmets and could split Roman shields. The Romans put cruciform re-enforcements on the tops of helmets and segmented steel arm guards on the lower part of the soldiers right hands.

All in all a great tool, seeing this one makes me want to buy one...again. Maybe one of these days.

Their web page says the Amish currently make their leather sheaths, interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Johnny P
03-19-2024, 05:27
Whom ever said it, "Never bring a knife to a gun fight."