PDA

View Full Version : Was W.C. Fields ever a U.S. Naval Officer?

RED
06-12-2023, 07:53
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wcfields/5187919891

I ran across the photo. Fields was a terrifically funny guy that was in hospice care and thumbing through a bible. When asked what he was doing, he replied:

Looking for loop holes, my friend, looking for loop holes!

dryheat
06-12-2023, 09:53
That's funny. Why is it funny? Because I thought about it too. I want to talk to management.

Art
06-13-2023, 04:26
Nope to the OP. Fields was a physical mess due to multiple "bad habits." He tried to get into the military in WWII but was given a 4F rating for numerous medical reasons.

He was a really funny guy who made a fortune by parodying himself, and like most great comics always having a great comeback in person. Groucho Marx had that gift too. Interestingly he did not say "anyone who hates children and dogs can't be all bad." It was actually a comment about him by Frederick Othman. Likewise, when Ernest King became Chief of Naval Operations at the start of WWII he was reputed to have said "when they're in trouble the call for the sons of bitches." When asked about the comment later King said "I didn't say that but I wish I had." I bet Fields had the same feeling King did on that one.

Tenboremag
06-13-2023, 08:09
The officer in the picture does not have Fields nose.

Allen
06-13-2023, 08:16
The officer in the picture does not have Fields nose.

That big nose may have developed with age, alcohol, and disorders similar to JP Morgan and Karl Malden.

rayg
06-13-2023, 08:50
That sure does that over time! Oh my God I just looked in the mirror and I see it's happening, Lol

Allen
06-13-2023, 08:53
If you can still see yourself in the mirror around your nose you're still OK.

blackhawknj
06-13-2023, 02:54
Fields died in 1946 at the age of 66, that photo looks much later.

Allen
06-13-2023, 04:45
Nope to the OP. Fields was a physical mess due to multiple "bad habits." He tried to get into the military in WWII but was given a 4F rating for numerous medical reasons.

If he had served there would be some record of it and there isn't. He would have probably even worked it into his comedy skits.

RED
06-14-2023, 02:53
Ok, apparently the Naval officer is possibly a the comedians son.

Art
06-15-2023, 12:56
Ok, apparently the Naval officer is possibly a the comedians son.

I did some checking and apparently that is the case. An article by Fields grandson shows the picture in the OP and identifies it as being of WC Fields Jr. It also says the younger Fields had a very strong resemblance to his father minus the nose of course.

WC Fields Sr. was a devout atheist who it was said viewed religion through the eyes of an seasoned con man. Interestingly he buckled to his first wife and WC Jr. was baptized in the Catholic church. It seems to have taken because his (WC Jr's) short obit. doesn't mention his military service but does say he was a member of the Catholic Lawyers Association of California.

Interesting stuff, Red.