PDA

View Full Version : First One

Piste
07-06-2023, 04:50
I finally joined the Trapdoor collector family. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/992489582

It was one of those "had to have" for me with the MASS stamp. Overall seems pretty good with the one thing I don't like is the stock is refinished. Feeling like I might have overpaid a bit...but as I said it was one I had to have...for my first anyway.

Fred
07-06-2023, 06:35
It appears that you’ve got a model 1877 rifle.

Dick Hosmer
07-06-2023, 10:06
You did NOT over-pay!! In fact, you scored sort of a 'sleeper'. That appears to be a completely original (or very carefully restored - there are some color inconsistencies) piece from what is often referred to as the "transition" period of 1877, where they were making various small changes prior to the big one at 96300. That is a late use of the dated plate and high-arch block. Those features are normally seen with the short comb stock. The 1877 cartouche is seldom seen. I must be clear and say that only a real trapdoor nut (like me) would appreciate its' finer points, and you would not be able to go out and double your money, but you do have a winner - don't try and "fix" anything!

Fred
07-06-2023, 11:33
Just hand rub some raw linseed oil into the wood and wipe off the excess.
If you ever feel like removing the lock and the barrel from the stock for any reason,
there is a specific method so that you don’t splinter the wood anywhere.
I’ll tell you what that is if you want to know.

Piste
07-06-2023, 03:47

How is that? It is stamped Model 1873...and according to Poyer book only 1877 model was a carbine. Is Model 1873 made in 1877 as far as I know. Don't have it yet.

Piste
07-06-2023, 04:11
You did NOT over-pay!! In fact, you scored sort of a 'sleeper'. That appears to be a completely original (or very carefully restored - there are some color inconsistencies) piece from what is often referred to as the "transition" period of 1877, where they were making various small changes prior to the big one at 96300. That is a late use of the dated plate and high-arch block. Those features are normally seen with the short comb stock. The 1877 cartouche is seldom seen. I must be clear and say that only a real trapdoor nut (like me) would appreciate its' finer points, and you would not be able to go out and double your money, but you do have a winner - don't try and "fix" anything!

Thanks for that happy news. Fix anything...oh no. Cleanup only..minimalist at that. I am a preservationist caretaker. This fills a hole on my quest for one of every US service rifle. Just a Krag to go!! I look forward to learning more about this iconic rifle!

Carlsr
07-07-2023, 03:40
Fred, according to Al Frasca the model 1877 designation only pertains to the carbine. Rifles made in 1877 retain the model 1873 designation.

Fred
07-07-2023, 06:36
Really! OK then. Well, rifles with the 1877 cartouche stamp are few and far between anyway.

Dick Hosmer
07-07-2023, 07:05
Really! OK then. Well, rifles with the 1877 cartouche stamp are few and far between anyway.

That is correct - only the carbine was referred to in official correspondence as the "Model 1877", though there were "Model 1877" rear sights, in two varieties based on knurling of the ramp, at least for rifles - I have never seen (or heard of) a coarse-knurled carbine sight. They were sort of a cross between the 1873 and 1879; the base is curved and the sighting notch on the slider is different - but still no windage adjustment. Guns from that period are scarce because there was no production for 6 months as SA was closed due to failure of the appropriations bill to pass Congress. Also, at that time, the method of accounting was changed from calendar to fiscal - a mess for anyone trying to sort out the arms. Yes, (ESA/1877) is not often seen . . .

Carlsr
07-07-2023, 12:19
Yes they are few and far between. I finally found one at the last Baltimore show. It has a fist type Bull rear sight. I can't recall the fellows name who previously owned it but the butt is stamped Fort Bowie, Team 10.
It has an awesome 1877 cartouch along with being a beautiful rifle.

Tom Trevor
07-08-2023, 08:43
Carlsr, It was Burt Kellerstat. Rifle is shown in Balls Springfield arms book.

Carlsr
07-09-2023, 11:10
Carlsr, It was Burt Kellerstat. Rifle is shown in Balls Springfield arms book.
Thanks Tom, I have the book but was too lazy at that moment to get up and look at it : )
I'm really bad with names!!