PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Hills Estates

dryheat
07-11-2023, 09:21
That's ironic. Now houses are rolling down hill. 12 houses (at least 5M each) have started sliding down the embankment. Three well known insurance companies are stepping back from insuring homes in CA. Climate change gets the blame, but hills in California have been sliding for a long time.

barretcreek
07-11-2023, 11:40
The Control of Nature by John McPhee is a compilation of articles he wrote for The New Yorker (back when it was worth reading) about a variety of man's attempts to make reality OBEY! Usually with negative results. One chapter deals with the floral ecology of the coastal California hillside terrain.

Allen
07-11-2023, 12:38
As any 5 year old would say: "a person shouldn't build a house on the side of a hill, too close to the edge of a cliff, or too close to the water."

dryheat
07-11-2023, 07:49
A hundred yrs. ago maybe five rich people could build a home on a cliff or near the beach. They knew what they were doing. Now, "newbie" millionaires want to be on the beach too. Developers are happy to build them a cardboard house.

dryheat
07-11-2023, 09:18
Barretcreek.

When I took the bus ride the driver said, none of these pretty flowers would be here without irrigation.

barretcreek
07-12-2023, 12:42
Destination Oceanside?

dryheat
07-14-2023, 01:20
Nope further north.

Merc
07-14-2023, 03:19
Insurance companies will eventually dictate where a home will or will not be built.

dryheat
07-18-2023, 12:24
So, there is a limit?

dogtag
07-18-2023, 07:24
People build get flooded and then rebuild on flood-planes.
Now we have the leaning tower of dumbass in San Francisco
built on landfill with the foundation pylons (apparently) not
reaching bedrock.
To live at the top of a 50 story building takes either mucho
bravery or mucho something else.
Me ? I'd be scared shirtless in case of fire.

lyman
07-18-2023, 07:39
there were houses on OBX (the outer banks in NC, and some also in VA) that were washed out to sea due to storms, that were never replaced,
simply cause they were no longer on land,,,

however there were some rebuilt on rivers etc inland,

re the landfill, there was a dump long before I was born in southside RVA, that is now a park,

they were planning on building on it, but realized the methane escaping was not condusive to new builds, not to mention foundation issues,

so a 'greenspace' was made