PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a matching .22 for prectice?

barretcreek
07-13-2023, 06:24
Instead of their carry gun? I carry a New Vaquero while hiking and am thinking of a full size SA .22 for practice. Less than half the price of loading center fire.

Allen
07-13-2023, 07:44
My "go to" gun is always my S&W model 17 6" revolver. I took it outside today to try to kill an armadillo I saw in the yard. I lost my shot and didn't shoot today. I use 22 CB/shorts. I don't live in the city limits and can shoot guns in my yard, I just don't like the neighbors (who I don't know) to know I have guns.

Shooting the 22 shorts (which can't be fired in an auto pistol) no one hears me shooting.

lyman
07-14-2023, 05:47
when I first started competing I used a 22 kit in another AR to practice at an indoor range every now and again but I also used an air rifle in the back yard at home for offhand practice,

Doc Sharptail
07-14-2023, 06:42
when I first started competing I used a 22 kit in another AR to practice at an indoor range every now and again but I also used an air rifle in the back yard at home for offhand practice,

Dept. store pellet pricing is on the move upwards. Average around here for a 250 count tin is around the 20.00 mark. Profit margins must be wide on pellets now.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Johnny P
07-14-2023, 07:24
Just bought a can of 500 Crossman Premier .22 pellets at my local shop for $12.50. Had heard they were going up, and lead pellets possibly going away.

Art
07-14-2023, 07:28
I do.

For many years my carry guns were S&W revolvers. About 10 years ago I found a S&W Model 17-2 at a very good price in a pawn shop. It was well used but very well cared for. I suspect it was used by an old time match shooter because a lot of those old boys didn't believe in frequent bore cleaning, and if you don't clean the bore why clean the chambers?? Extraction was more than a bit sticky, but that was easily remedied. I bought the revolver with extra practice in mind and I have quite a bit of .22LR through it. I carry an auto pistol a bit more now, I started carrying it because of health reasons but as my capabilities have improved over the past few months I'm carrying revolvers more again.

.38s are getting hard to find for some reason :icon_scratch: so the next time to the range the Model 17 will get another work out.

lyman
07-14-2023, 04:48
Dept. store pellet pricing is on the move upwards. Average around here for a 250 count tin is around the 20.00 mark. Profit margins must be wide on pellets now.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

I have a big supply, and practice once in a blue moon in the garage,

using a Daisy now, (under lever 835 IIRC) but used to use an ex ROTC/School gun that did not have sights, so i added a cheapy tasco 4x,
recoll broke the reticle loose, so it would rotate from a + to a x sometimes while shooting it, but the center held true,

I was once capable of beer caps at 22 paces, I tried that gun at 25 yrds but it did not have enough power to get the pellet that far,

Vern Humphrey
07-16-2023, 02:41
My carry gun is an M1911 (a Kimber I've had about 25 years.) My practice gun is an M1927 Argentine (same as US M1911A1) with a Service Ace conversion kit.

barretcreek
07-16-2023, 05:38
My practice gun is an M1927 Argentine (same as US M1911A1) with a Service Ace conversion kit.[/QUOTe

I have a Service Ace kit from DCM I got in school; building on dedicated Foster receiver. Suggestions on keeping it clean?

Vern Humphrey
07-17-2023, 08:29
My practice gun is an M1927 Argentine (same as US M1911A1) with a Service Ace conversion kit.[/QUOTe

I have a Service Ace kit from DCM I got in school; building on dedicated Foster receiver. Suggestions on keeping it clean?

Field strip and clean it every 500 rounds or so. The floating chamber is the problem -- crud builds up there.