PDA

View Full Version : You Know You Live in Alabama if ....

Allen
07-20-2023, 08:09
Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about folks from Alabama...

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Alabama.

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Alabama.

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Alabama.

If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of Huntsville for the weekend, you may live in Alabama.

If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Alabama.

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Alabama.

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Alabama.

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Alabama.

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph--you're going 80 and everybody is passing you, you may live in Alabama.

If you find 60 degrees "a little chilly", you may live in Alabama.

If everyone you meet waves at you even if they don't know you, you may live in Alabama.

If you actually understand these jokes, and send them to all your Alabama friends & others, you definitely live (or have lived) in Alabama

I'm guilty of most of the above except I don't wear shorts and never have. My wife knows how jumper cables work but has never had to use them.

Art
07-20-2023, 10:22
I have lived in Alabama, though it was a long time ago, and I do understand the jokes :icon_lol: . Quite a few of them apply to where I live now as well...

Phloating Phlasher
07-20-2023, 10:54
Maybe not Alabama, but
"If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Alabama."
Is true for Arkansas!
I was in a store on "Lon Guisland, New Yerk" & got into a conversation with a trucker from Ar. I was actually arrested there for ordering Catfish in a Catfish restaurant! Some local thing do do with farm raised Vs Caught wild fish?
The charges were dropped, but it was strange.
He was outraged & called half the State of Ar on the spot getting me recommendations for good catfish places in Stone Co, Ar!:1948:

Vern Humphrey
07-22-2023, 12:11
Maybe not Alabama, but
"If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Alabama."
Is true for Arkansas!
I was in a store on "Lon Guisland, New Yerk" & got into a conversation with a trucker form Ar. I was actually arrested there for ordering Catfish in a Catfish restaurant! Some local thing do do with farm raised Vs Caught wild fish?
The charges were dropped, but it was strange.
He was outraged & called half the State of Ar on the spot getting me recommendations for good catfish places in Stone Co, Ar!:1948:

When you come to Stone County, give me a call -- I'm in the book.

The best catfish place is Jo-Jo's, on Highway 5 north of town.

Phloating Phlasher
07-22-2023, 08:53
Thank you.
I frequent Mountain Home right between the music festival & the end of Hunting season , (late September)
This is why I like Arkansans & Arkansas!

Vern Humphrey
07-23-2023, 07:15
I've got plenty of spare bedrooms, 160 acres way back in the hills, and the deer will carry you away. I also have bear and have seen an elk on my property.

Allen
07-23-2023, 07:47
I've got plenty of spare bedrooms, 160 acres way back in the hills, and the deer will carry you away. I also have bear and have seen an elk on my property.

If you had our weather you wouldn't have any of that. The animals would drown or have to head for high ground. Everything else, like here, would have washed away, rotted away, rusted away or have been blown away.

Vern Humphrey
07-23-2023, 12:22
If you had our weather you wouldn't have any of that. The animals would drown or have to head for high ground. Everything else, like here, would have washed away, rotted away, rusted away or have been blown away.

Oh, we've had plenty of bad weather -- my maple tree which shields my porch had to be severely trimmed because of storm damage, and it's hard to keep up with the problems with my 3/4s mile of access road.

Phloating Phlasher
07-23-2023, 02:12
Very kind offer, thanks. We actually have a get together of a bunch of us at the Gunner Pool Campground on N. Sylamore Creek. I'm not sure you'd want a round dozen house guests just showing up!
:hello:

Vern Humphrey
07-23-2023, 04:00
Very kind offer, thanks. We actually have a get together of a bunch of us at the Gunner Pool Campground on N. Sylamore Creek. I'm not sure you'd want a round dozen house guests just showing up!
:hello:

Well, there's four guest bedrooms, a bonus room over the garage and two rooms in the basement -- bring sleeping bags.

Phloating Phlasher
07-25-2023, 10:29
Wow thats a motel right there!:headbang:

RED
07-25-2023, 12:41
Wow that is impressive! Yes, I would love to bring my lady friend and buy lunch for you and yours at Jo Jo?s.

As far as catfish goes the Tom Mann restaurant in Eauflaua
AL was the best, but that was a while ago (1984).

Vern Humphrey
07-30-2023, 02:41
Wow that is impressive! Yes, I would love to bring my lady friend and buy lunch for you and yours at Jo Jo?s.

Say when and I'll be there.

Phloating Phlasher
07-30-2023, 05:03
I've actually been to Jo Jo's.:1948:
small world!
The place I was in is now a Pizza Hut opposite the KFC.

Vern Humphrey
07-31-2023, 08:10
I've actually been to Jo Jo's.:1948:
small world!
The place I was in is now a Pizza Hut opposite the KFC.

Jo Jo's is great -- it's now right on the river and was flooded out twice in 2008. But it's still going strong.

Phloating Phlasher
07-31-2023, 09:37
Sadly Tom Mann seems to be gone.