PDA

View Full Version : Pellet rifles.

RED
08-05-2023, 02:00
Can anybody recommend a quiet but strong pellet rifle. I would need to shoot squirrels, rats, and possums. I have a possum that gets into my trash and spreads it all over. My City trash pick up requires it to be put on the curb in garbage bags that must be bought from the city. In the summer they pick up as early as day light and most people put their trash out the evening before. I keep mine on the back porch and the Possums find them in found in both places.

Allen
08-05-2023, 03:13
Have you ever tried the CCI 22CB (22 short)? They are sub-sonic, quiet, and surprisingly strong. Can sometimes be found at WalMart (recently) but do not function in most semi rifles or pistols. Great in 22 revolvers.

Another thought. Possums love smelly canned cat food. Put out some cheap food to lure them away from the garbage. Could use it to load traps or lure them to a place better to shoot them?

dogtag
08-05-2023, 04:16
My Bear River in 177 is powerful (12-1300 FPS)
It's not quiet. Looks evil.
You afraid the Possums will complain about the noise ?

barretcreek
08-05-2023, 04:36
Drop of oil in the base of the pellet would probably drive it right through the 'possum. Might be rough on the gun.

Allen
08-05-2023, 05:03
Has anyone other than me ever noticed how hard it is to kill a possum?

Doc Sharptail
08-05-2023, 06:27
Can anybody recommend a quiet but strong pellet rifle. I would need to shoot squirrels, rats, and possums. I have a possum that gets into my trash and spreads it all over. My City trash pick up requires it to be put on the curb in garbage bags that must be bought from the city. In the summer they pick up as early as day light and most people put their trash out the evening before. I keep mine on the back porch and the Possums find them in found in both places.

Benjamin Marauder in .177. There are versions available moderated with a small tube running the length of the bbl. Be aware that this is a deep hole to get into, and can get a bit spendy...
If you go this route, heavy for caliber pellets work well with the gun tuned to 850-900 fps for heavy pellets.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

5thDragoons
08-05-2023, 07:33
Be aware that this is a deep hole to get into, and can get a bit spendy... Regards, Doc Sharptail

I can vouch for that! But it's fun. SW

Major Tom
08-06-2023, 07:07
I bought a M14 look a like CO2 powered, 14 shot rifle, 17 cal. It has adjustable rear sight and is very accurate even at 75 yards. We had a possum problem and used ammonia around the yard. That keeps them away!

lyman
08-06-2023, 07:58
RWS Diana 34's are surperbly accurate, however, they are as loud if not louder than a 22,

most of the newer model Gamo, (another quality brand) and Crosman stuff is relatively quiet,

my Daisy 835 is boht accurate and not that loud

FWIW, ,depending on your area, an Aquilla Colbri load (small bullet, no powder, just a primed case) can be very accurate at close ranges, and thru a 20-24" rifle barrel, very quiet

Johnny P
08-06-2023, 08:24
We were overrun with gray squirrels just being destructive. Tearing up the bird feeders, cutting water hose, and even cutting plastic caps on gas cans. Bought a .22 caliber Gamo from Wally World, and it has dispatched several hundred squirrels over the past 10 years. It has a "silencer" which I am not too sure that it works, but not noisy with the lead pellets. They make a high velocity alloy pellet, but you can get a crack out of them. Shoots about 1" groups at 60 feet.

Allen
08-06-2023, 10:37
I bought a M14 look a like CO2 powered, 14 shot rifle, 17 cal. It has adjustable rear sight and is very accurate even at 75 yards. We had a possum problem and used ammonia around the yard. That keeps them away!

I bought one of those before they stopped making them. Haven't shot it though.