PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Mountains can be dangerous ...

dogtag
08-12-2023, 02:31
which is why I don't do it.
There's a lot of hand wringing over the injured climber
not being helped by the other climbers.
They were not in an organised group which means it's
a free for all. The climbers who ignored the injured guy
paid a huge amount in order to go try their luck - they
did not pay to go rescuing, risking injury and giving up
their dream of reaching the summit.
You takes your chances when you challenge Mother Nature
and you can get hurt even if you know what you're doing.
If you go thinking someone will rescue you if you screw up,
you're crazy.

bruce
08-12-2023, 05:24
I don't know about that bit of no one being willing to do squat to help anyone else whether on a mountain or anywhere else. You may be beyond climbing anything. Others, not so. Those who actually have climbed are best for any opinion of what to think about helping or not helping someone who is hurt, in trouble on a climb. Sincerely. bruce.

dryheat
08-12-2023, 07:28
Losing fingers and toes is a given. Dying is a real possibility. It's a traffic jam now. I hate crowds.

https://www.rd.com/article/everest-the-mess-at-the-top-of-the-world/

Phloating Phlasher
08-12-2023, 08:44
I can't speak for climbers, so I won't.
I WILL say that cavers (spelunkers) would never do such a thing.
Its an article of faith, "We WILL bring them back to the light", even if it takes decades & has been a recovery, not a rescue for most of that time.
"The body of a student cave diver, which has lain in one of the UK's most dangerous cave systems since his death 39 years ago, has been recovered.

Paul Esser, a medical student at Bristol University, was just 21 when he disappeared in the Porth yr Ogof cave system at Ystradfellte, Powys in 1971.

His remains were finally recovered a week ago by two members of the West Brecon Cave Rescue Team.

Powys coroner Peter Maddox recorded a verdict of accidental death.

According to reports following Mr Esser's death in February 1971, it was understood that he had followed the wrong line as he made for an exit, and ran out of air.

A spokeswoman for Dyfed Powys Police said: "Although he was located at that time in the caves, his body was never able to be recovered despite several attempts over the following weeks and as a result he has remained in the location he died."

Family members, who were living in Surrey at the time of his death, were at the scene as his remains were finally brought to the surface on Thursday, and released to hold a funeral.

Recording the accidental death verdict, the Powys coroner said the cause of death remains "unascertained". "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8649253.stm

dryheat
08-12-2023, 09:29
When I got into scuba diving I read some magazines. There was a story about a guy who was following a line but freaked and kicked up so much silt he lost his way. Nearly out of air. I remember I caught myself holding my breath while reading it. My scuba diving was lame assed: fifty ft. Went to 100 once but I like mentioned, don't do things that have the potential to kill me.
Today, the dead aren't left alone. Titanic, dead bodies on high mtns. and in the depths. The families don't request that they return their long lost relatives, they are returned because some guys can do it.
I think, if I had a choice I'd chose lying down and falling asleep on the mtn. than totally freeking out in a heart pounding panic under water. I'd still bitch about the cold.

Phloating Phlasher
08-13-2023, 10:08
Bad planning on his part.
Stay close to the roof
Don't kick hard, pull on the rope instead
rule of 3thirds for air, one third in, one third out one third for emergencies.
At the time there was a suggestion (hinted at) that a guide rope had been cut to steal the valuable rope, causing his death.
Now no-ones talking about it.
Usually there are fixed guide lines & a tied on safety line to pull you back in an emergency, different color coded ones so you can tell which is which underwater.
https://forscubadivers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Olwalin-Cave-Diving.jpg

dogtag
08-13-2023, 12:00
There are bodies left on mountains because it's too difficult
and dangerous to would-be rescuers to try getting them down..
Yellow Boots is one and I think Mallory is still up there 1400 ft from the top.